Kia Nurse: early commitment reports; rankings debate | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kia Nurse: early commitment reports; rankings debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
For much of the year, most rating services don't publish their rankings publicly, so trying to track players is a tricky, difficult enterprise. And there's the formula itself which also is of course completely ad hoc. I've had several nice discussions with folks who have messaged me about why, and have also been given some food for thought. I chuckle at those who decide after 2 minutes that I have no idea what I'm doing.
As I said earlier in this very thread, the Nurse case is particularly tricky, and I've been unsure how to handle. 2 months ago, I had no info on her. And it wasn't until today I realized Pn had given her a rating. I thought About calculating her score differently, but kept deferring whether or how to do that. It's just one player; so I punted.
The JUCO comment is particularly rich. I've barely seen any JUCO ratings before this month, and I'm sorry, your royal highness, that I don't want to put in the effort to enter all of their info, track their ratings, and then figure out how to integrate them with the HS ratings. (How do you score the the #10 JUCO - same as the #10 HS? #50? #110?)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The JUCO comment is particularly rich. I've barely seen any JUCO ratings before this month, and I'm sorry, your royal highness, that I don't want to put in the effort to enter all of their info, track their ratings, and then figure out how to integrate them with the HS ratings. (How do you score the the #10 JUCO - same as the #10 HS? #50? #110?)
Wow. And I'm sorry, princess, that you took it so personally and got your panties in a bunch.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
JAs article is wrong in that Kelly was torn between UConn and Purdue. It was Uconn and Notre Dame....purdue was the third horse in that race.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
For much of the year, most rating services don't publish their rankings publicly, so trying to track players is a tricky, difficult enterprise. And there's the formula itself which also is of course completely ad hoc. I've had several nice discussions with folks who have messaged me about why, and have also been given some food for thought. I chuckle at those who decide after 2 minutes that I have no idea what I'm doing.
As I said earlier in this very thread, the Nurse case is particularly tricky, and I've been unsure how to handle. 2 months ago, I had no info on her. And it wasn't until today I realized Pn had given her a rating. I thought About calculating her score differently, but kept deferring whether or how to do that. It's just one player; so I punted.

I'd say, stick to your guns. State your criteria and resulting conclusions. Seems to me the real problem is who/what-ever published the 150+ ranking. They are the ones who need a new one ripped.

On the other hand, you are trying to offer an objective conclusion based on subjective data.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
I think it is awesome that vowel takes the time and effort to put all this recruiting information together. He then ranks each team's overall success. How lucky are we in the BY to have all this gift wrapped for us to enjoy. So what if some idiot doesn't know how to rank a Canadian..!! I will ask Kib if I really need to know about nurses from Canada...:). Thanks vowel....
Go Huskies..!!

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Is Nurse's attendance at the game today a PSU official/unofficial visit? If so, wouldn't a UConn announcement before the game be a little odd?

Reaction Score
I need a NURSE today............Let her enjoy her last few days of enjoy the spotlight in her last recruiting days. Either way, UCONN will be ok and the Sun will rise on Monday and all next week for most of us.......

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is unofficial. Yes, I believe that is a key reason for the delay.

Reaction Score
I wanted to be the 100th person in this thread so I can post a classic song by Gregory Issac...Night Nurse.

Cheers to all who listen to this great great song.

There's a patient by the name of Gregory.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If Kia were really that good wouldn't she be a doctor by now and not a nurse?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nurse should be in the top 15 if he really wanted his list to be accurate. But he is way too stubborn to admit that.
Well none of the lists are "accurate". Just someone's (some people's) opinion. And vowel just combines all the opinions. And does a decent job at it. Least better than anyone else on this board.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
It seems like another possible motive for delay is to make the announcement to her new UConn coaches and teammates in person before it is announced publicly.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All I know is this. After the UConn game her dad said I cant wait to get this over with. I had the impression that he liked UConn as did she. Cancelling her visits this weekend and showing up at todays game has me hopeful.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
All I know is this. After the UConn game her dad said I cant wait to get this over with. I had the impression that he liked UConn as did she. Cancelling her visits this weekend and showing up at todays game has me hopeful.

It's very simple. She wanted to commit in person. And hand Geno the LOI.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Well none of the lists are "accurate". Just someone's (some people's) opinion. And vowel just combines all the opinions. And does a decent job at it. Least better than anyone else on this board.
No doubt. But it has to make sense to you that he adjust her ranking so his overall rankings are accurate, not just based on a formula.

It's his rankings, so he can do what he wants and they are fun to follow. If he didn't do them, I would return the favor and ignore him.

The services that include her have Nurse in the mid teens. Using the 5 star on a service moved her from 65 to 40 in his rankings. That is because one service doesn't list her at all.

He can adjust to be more accurate, but I stand by my statement that he is too stubborn to fix it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
No, it's because Uconn is there.
Gotta agree. There was a so called rumor this week that Nurse was headed to UConn. Most rumors are true and I highly doubt a sports writer would make up a story like that saying UConn. I do know she had a great time at UConn and so did her parents. I also think the coaches already know where shes going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom