OT: - KG, Pierce, Rondo, Perkins, & Big Baby Speak on Ray | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: KG, Pierce, Rondo, Perkins, & Big Baby Speak on Ray

Reaction Score
Who's that, Whitlock? Greenie? Some other genius?
Don't know a lot of their names but one guy I know who was going in on them is Bomani Jones. According to you, sports talk radio must be full of UConn Ray Allen ball washing fanboys.

Reaction Score
Nice internet tough guy routine.

This is a perfect example of someone (a) having bias dictating their position and (b) lacking the ability to put himself in someone else's shoes.

You work with someone for 3 years. You're friends outside of the work place; your wives are friends. But you feel like management at your company is mistreating you. You know that your friend also feels like he's been mistreated by management, but he feels more loyalty to the organization. Then you decide to leave (for a direct competitor) and you don't pick up the phone to give him a heads up? And you think HE'S the baby for talking honestly about being disappointed??? Right.

Stop fronting.

Paul Pierce's name got offered up in 10x more trades than Ray's ever did. (Wow, for two whole years Ray's name got held out as trade bait!!!!! OMG!!!!!) I get why Ray may have been ticked off by Ainge, Doc and Rondo. But all those other dudes in the video were nothing but friends to him. What he did is hardly a war crime. But let's be real: he illed these guys. Is that what you'd have done?

I've said this 50 times and I'll say it again: UConn fans who don't like the Celtics are always going to back Ray, and Celtics fans who don't like UConn are always going to hold a grudge against Ray. Those of us who are fans of both UConn and the Celtics are the only ones looking at this through neither green nor blue eyes. I've defended Ray to Celtics fans and I have to defend Pierce et al now. These guys did and are doing nothing wrong. I love Ray, but he mishandled this. I don't know if it's because he was embarrassed or just wanted to avoid awkward conversations, but he chose not to give them the courtesy of a phone call, which was poor form. Period.

Bill Simmons defended Ray hard. Pretty sure he isn't a UConn fan. What else you got?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Bill Simmons defended Ray hard. Pretty sure he isn't a UConn fan. What else you got?

I don't think 1 guy can make the entire point (the whole sample size thing) but if 1 guy could, it's Bill Simmons.

Dude loves nothing more than the Celtics and basically hates UConn.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Finally had the chance to watch. I didn't think the C's said anything too turrible - just basically that it was annoying that he went to their rival and rubbed salt in the wound when he didn't say goodbye. He was never great with the social stuff, ie not reciprocating on charity events. It was interesting that Rondo was almost not allowed to speak, definitely no love lost there. If Ray really wanted to mend fences he could, maybe he will some day but maybe that's not something that's important to him. They can "shut him out" but he was a key player in a championship and they acknowledge he won another when he joined the Cavs. Seems like ray moved on, they should too.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Besides everything else I said?

You got a link to support your assertion, by the way?

Reaction Score
Bill Simmons labeled Rays's game tying 3 in game 6 of the Heat/Spurs series "the greatest shot in NBA history" and has defended his position many times. I'd say he likes Ray or at least respects him. Simmons was won over by Ray during his stay in Boston and he didn't seem to hold a grudge when he left.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I laugh when someone claims to know a lot about the Celtics because no one knows more about them than me.

Reaction Score
Paul Pierce's name got offered up in 10x more trades than Ray's ever did. (Wow, for two whole years Ray's name got held out as trade bait!!!!! OMG!!!!!)

Yeah when Ray's Boneyard fan club brings up the trade bait thing I always have to laugh. Not only did Pierce suffer through some lean years (Vitaly Potapinko, anyone?) but he spent a hell of a lot more time than Ray being offered up in trades and managed to come through it alright.

Although Ray is a voracious reader, so there's that.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Yeah when Ray's Boneyard fan club brings up the trade bait thing I always have to laugh. Not only did Pierce suffer through some lean years (Vitaly Potapinko, anyone?) but he spent a hell of a lot more time than Ray being offered up in trades and managed to come through it alright.

Although Ray is a voracious reader, so there's that.

Without providing context to those trade rumors, were they REALLY the same?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Bill Simmons labeled Rays's game tying 3 in game 6 of the Heat/Spurs series "the greatest shot in NBA history" and has defended his position many times. I'd say he likes Ray or at least respects him. Simmons was won over by Ray during his stay in Boston and he didn't seem to hold a grudge when he left.

I like Ray and respect him too. Simmons also said less than flattering things about him, which I've never done.

And who doesn't acknowledge how huge Ray's shot for the Heat was?

Reaction Score
Without providing context to those trade rumors, were they REALLY the same?
Not exactly the same situations, but the point still stands - people on here act like Ray is the only NBA player ever whose been involved in trade rumors.

I'm not sure why people feel like there's a right or wrong in this situation. I feel like it's understandable why Ray did what he did, and it's also understandable Pierce, KG and co. felt disrespected.

Reaction Score
This one is pretty simple, right? Ray wasn't as close to the guys on the team as they thought, and he left in a way which didn't sit well with his teammates. They rightfully should be pissed, but its a bit much to be trashing him for over half a decade. Its Ray's fault that the relationship is where its at, but it doesn't seem like he is losing much sleep over it. I think its fine to deny an invite to the reunion but the animosity seems overblown.

Reaction Score
Not exactly the same situations, but the point still stands - people on here act like Ray is the only NBA player ever whose been involved in trade rumors.

I'm not sure why people feel like there's a right or wrong in this situation. I feel like it's understandable why Ray did what he did, and it's also understandable Pierce, KG and co. felt disrespected.
What isn't understandable is these guys whining and airing dirty laundry 5 years later. They won a title together, now it's a bunch of 40 year olds acting like they never got over one who got away. Move on.

Reaction Score
Cowherd had one of the '08 team members on today (edit -- it was Big Baby). Cowherd asked him what the difference between Ray leaving and the others either leaving or making arrangements for their departure. The player responded that when Ray left, the team still felt that they were championship contenders (if so, they were dreaming, but that's beside the point) and that window was closed when the others left. Cowherd's response was essentially "so you're mad because Ray figured that out before everyone else?"

Baby's response was basically that Ray was selfish and wanted to be the guy, which is just ridiculous on its face.

Ray made a cold, calculated move, and I don't have an issue if the guys he left behind were hurt over it. Continuing to talk about it 5 years later comes off as really childish. If that puts me some simpleton's "boneyard fan club" so be it . . .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So, after 4 pages here and multiple other threads on the subject, let me see if I got this straight:

On one hand, you have a man who treats basketball as part of life, not its entirety, and who has: testified before Congress (re: juvenile diabetes); played golf with the president on numerous occasions; been named to the board of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum; partakes in educational trips (Poland/concentration camps); takes part in USO tour; is known as a voracious reader; plays the piano; collects art; won an NBA Sportsmanship Award; won multiple awards as "best interviewer" given by NBA beat reporters (don't recall precise name of award or if they still bestow it), yet he is the socially awkward one? The one with Asperger?

On the other hand, you have: one man who is known for punching a teammate in the face during practice; getting on all fours and barking like a dog at an opponent; talking about getting his AK47 and other weapons to go to war (aka a basketball game); known to take a cheap shot or two...; than you have another who outside of basketball is known for playing high-stakes poker; possibly throwing gang signs; and??? The others aren't even worth discussing. Yet, they are the role models, the "good guys".

Maybe, just maybe, Ray didn't have a hell of a lot in common with these guys outside of a basketball court? Nothing more, nothing less. He made a decision he felt was best for him and his situation. The didn't/don't need to like it -- but good Lord, grow up and get over it.

Even as somebody who loves Ray Allen, this post makes me hate him.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Cowherd had one of the '08 team members on today (edit -- it was Big Baby). Cowherd asked him what the difference between Ray leaving and the others either leaving or making arrangements for their departure. The player responded that when Ray left, the team still felt that they were championship contenders (if so, they were dreaming, but that's beside the point) and that window was closed when the others left. Cowherd's response was essentially "so you're mad because Ray figured that out before everyone else?"

Baby's response was basically that Ray was selfish and wanted to be the guy, which is just ridiculous on its face.

Ray made a cold, calculated move, and I don't have an issue if the guys he left behind were hurt over it. Continuing to talk about it 5 years later comes off as really childish. If that puts me some simpleton's "boneyard fan club" so be it . . .

This is the issue in a nutshell...

They all left eventually (Pierce and KG got 'traded' but it was the same thing), but Ray left RIGHT at the end of their peak and when the players thought they could give it one more go.

I assume they didn't understand the situation from Ray's perspective, which has them mad.

And as I said earlier, I acknowledge the way and the fact that Ray left would be a sore spot, and bothersome to mostly KG and PP.

The other guys? Please. And honestly, STILL bringing it up with vitriol, not just a matter factness? Again, please.

That's my 2 cents.

Reaction Score
The thing I really don't understand about this is why are they all getting so much pub and having televised reunions, tv appearances, radio segments etc.? They're acting like they had a dynasty when they won one championship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom