Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 803 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Since we are screwed under the existing structure, anarchy is our friend, though, I'm not sure that existing P4 schools becoming more readily available really helps us.
“Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder." - Petyr “Littlefinger” Baelish

Reaction Score
I didn’t think I needed to restate what has been discussed dozens of times.

Most ACC schools preferred UConn, but only slightly.
Four schools — BC , Syracuse, FSU, Clemson — were adamant that it had to be Louisville.
Since the other schools weren’t strongly tied to UConn, they were fine with taking Louisville to appease the others.
What is your source for this? Posters have said that Syracuse voted against UConn but have never given a source. I have never heard this in SU circles.

Reaction Score
You would think Syracuse and BC would want to move the conference epicenter more North. Adding UConn Temple will help get them out of what is a southern conference and start moving it north.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Syracuse and Pitt both voted for us originally. It was really Clemson, FSU, Miami, BC, and VaTech that were against us.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What is your source for this? Posters have said that Syracuse voted against UConn but have never given a source. I have never heard this in SU circles.
I remember that after they announced they were leaving the big east but before they officially join the ACC they were informally polled about Connecticut joining and they indicated that they were not in favor of it. No idea what the position they took regarding us versus Louisville.

Reaction Score
If the whole top end of the ACC is picked off by the power 3, then Syracuse and BC should want the best possible schools added since they have no better landing spot outside of the ACC.
USF
Tulane
UConn
Memphis

After that seems like a big gap and a log jam of options:
JMU
Liberty
Marshall
ECU
Rice
Temple

And that's assuming the conference doesn't want to look West any further

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Syracuse and Pitt both voted for us originally. It was really Clemson, FSU, Miami, BC, and VaTech that were against us.

You are correct.

Clemson and FSU woke up and were afraid about the ACC’s football standing.

Ironically we beat Louisville that same season. AFTER Louisville was announced.

Between the Louisville thing and the panic CalFord/SMU adds nobody makes awful decisions like the ACC does.

Reaction Score
Years later and folks still commiserating about being passed over for the ville. Wrong. We got passed over by Pitt- after that our chances grew increasingly smaller.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="LoyalFanCT, post: 4829299, member: “]Also, state government in Virginia has ensured that Virginia Tech has a decent conference so UVA may not leave if there is no landing spot for Va. Tech.

Omg no. That is not what happened at all. And I assure you that UVA will do what’s best for UVA.
[/QUOTE]
No, history does not support that.

Reaction Score
Years later and folks still commiserating about being passed over for the ville. Wrong. We got passed over by Pitt- after that our chances grew increasingly smaller.
True but when Maryland bolted for the B1G with Rutgers we were considered the front runner because The ACC passed on UWVA ( the best BE football program ) because of academics and the Mountaineers are actually a better school academically than Louisville . So the Cards were somewhat of a surprise. It was the FSU’s , Clemson’s , and Miami’s threat to go to the Big 12 that vetoed us even though we were most likely tobacco roads first choice. We had no school with any weight willing to fight to the death for us , plus we had multiple enemies . They also saw Louisville as a Big 12 target. Back then , the phrase we heard was “UConn’s got no place else to go “The AAC idea of a coast to coast conference was considered folly at the time.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

Well, we had current/incoming BIG teams vs. current/incoming SEC teams...this is what the oligarchy wanted.

On a separate note, really nice showing by Liberty in the Fiesta Bowl...hmmm 39 point blowout, yeah, that really showed the world that UConn didn't deserve their Fiesta Bowl appearance. Our fanbase got roasted for not "showing up", but at least the team showed up and tried to keep up with the Sooners. Instead Liberty literally flamed out against a PAC of ducks.

Reaction Score

at the end of the day i place the blame squarely on kliavkoff getting outmaneuvered by yormak. the deal the big12 got from fox/cbs was the PACs to lose and it prob woulda been slightly better. say ~$40 million per year per team.

it was never in question that the PAC was the superior football conference. rather than the PAC imploding it should be the big12 begging espn for scraps and espn+ time slots right now because no other conferences would have scooped up its pitiful assemblance of programs. meanwhile all but WSU and OSU found homes in the remaining P4.

Reaction Score
True but when Maryland bolted for the B1G with Rutgers we were considered the front runner because The ACC passed on UWVA ( the best BE football program ) because of academics and the Mountaineers are actually a better school academically than Louisville . So the Cards were somewhat of a surprise. It was the FSU’s , Clemson’s , and Miami’s threat to go to the Big 12 that vetoed us even though we were most likely tobacco roads first choice. We had no school with any weight willing to fight to the death for us , plus we had multiple enemies . They also saw Louisville as a Big 12 target. Back then , the phrase we heard was “UConn’s got no place else to go “The AAC idea of a coast to coast conference was considered folly at the time.
Without getting into this argument about the ACC, Louisville and West Virginia academically is an argument about Cinderella's ugly stepsisters.

Reaction Score
at the end of the day i place the blame squarely on kliavkoff getting outmaneuvered by yormak. the deal the big12 got from fox/cbs was the PACs to lose and it prob woulda been slightly better. say ~$40 million per year per team.

it was never in question that the PAC was the superior football conference. rather than the PAC imploding it should be the big12 begging espn for scraps and espn+ time slots right now because no other conferences would have scooped up its pitiful assemblance of programs. meanwhile all but WSU and OSU found homes in the remaining P4.
It's a real shame the Pac no longer exists, there's tremendous history there.

Reaction Score
Add this to the long list of stupid Kliavkoff quotes...........

"If some of our schools would have been a little more patient, it would have paid off."

You had over a year where your only job was to secure a media rights deal and you failed. Over a year. How much more patient could they have been?

The only offer on the table was a streaming deal with Apple tied to subscription rates which at best would have landed in the same ballpark revenue wise as the Big 12, or slightly less.

Kliavkoff could not provide to Washington what the B1G provides. Yet, Kliavkoff said they should have been more patient.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Add this to the long list of stupid Kliavkoff quotes...........

"If some of our schools would have been a little more patient, it would have paid off."

You had over a year where your only job was to secure a media rights deal and you failed. Over a year. How much more patient could they have been?

The only offer on the table was a streaming deal with Apple tied to subscription rates which at best would have landed in the same ballpark revenue wise as the Big 12, or slightly less.

Kliavkoff could not provide to Washington what the B1G provides. Yet, Kliavkoff said they should have been more patient.

Kliavkoff is not wrong or right yet. Washington and Oregon, and UCLA and USC for that matter, made a short term decision based on a trying to cash in on a cable business model that is rapidly dying. They will make a few more bucks in the short term, but there is no telling how this ends up.

The schools that may have signed their own death warrant are schools like Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, Indiana and Purdue. The Big 10 is not going to need all these schools if it becomes one of a P2. There is no way Rutgers survives that consolidation.

Reaction Score
The schools that may have signed their own death warrant are schools like Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, Indiana and Purdue. The Big 10 is not going to need all these schools if it becomes one of a P2. There is no way Rutgers survives that consolidation.
I disagree re this part. If the P2 consolidate, it won't be by kicking out the lesser teams. I don't even know if their contracts/bylaws allow for kicking a school out. Temple was an odd situation. More likely, the top of the Big10 and SEC would break away and create their own super conference(s). So, the schools you are referencing are in no worse of a position than they were before. In a perfect world, they are the Kansas City Royals, feeding from the smaller trough of general profits while providing wins for the top teams that rake in additional revenue. I'd rather be the Royals than an independent minor league team. Worst case scenario, the top of the Big10 leaves and those teams are still in a strong non-P2 (P1?) conference that can poach others.

I do think that the ACC showed weakness by taking Stanford and Cal and certainly SMU. That looks like a money grab by a group that knows it's dead soon so it may as well grab as much cash is it can.

Reaction Score
Well, we had current/incoming BIG teams vs. current/incoming SEC teams...this is what the oligarchy wanted.

On a separate note, really nice showing by Liberty in the Fiesta Bowl...hmmm 39 point blowout, yeah, that really showed the world that UConn didn't deserve their Fiesta Bowl appearance. Our fanbase got roasted for not "showing up", but at least the team showed up and tried to keep up with the Sooners. Instead Liberty literally flamed out against a PAC of ducks.
My son an I and about 10k loud UConn fans were there . A journey of 75 miles from my house .
We were sitting next to some other UConn fans who were trash talking a tad with the Sooner fans in front of us . I’m not saying they‘re fans were worried but they were annoyed they couldn’t put us away.until that 4th qtr pick . We were a pesky bunch who got 400-500 yards in total offense , Toddman rushed for 125yards . Almost all in the first 3 quarters . . Those are respectable numbers.

Reaction Score
I disagree re this part. If the P2 consolidate, it won't be by kicking out the lesser teams. I don't even know if their contracts/bylaws allow for kicking a school out. Temple was an odd situation. More likely, the top of the Big10 and SEC would break away and create their own super conference(s). So, the schools you are referencing are in no worse of a position than they were before. In a perfect world, they are the Kansas City Royals, feeding from the smaller trough of general profits while providing wins for the top teams that rake in additional revenue. I'd rather be the Royals than an independent minor league team. Worst case scenario, the top of the Big10 leaves and those teams are still in a strong non-P2 (P1?) conference that can poach others.

I do think that the ACC showed weakness by taking Stanford and Cal and certainly SMU. That looks like a money grab by a group that knows it's dead soon so it may as well grab as much cash is it can.
I agree. That logic would equate to Big East kicking out DePaul, Seton Hall, Georgetown

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Kliavkoff is not wrong or right yet. Washington and Oregon, and UCLA and USC for that matter, made a short term decision based on a trying to cash in on a cable business model that is rapidly dying. They will make a few more bucks in the short term, but there is no telling how this ends up.

Solution? The Big 10 goes pro/rel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom