Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 748 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
H
Our best non-P4 option would be the AAC. Join the AAC (football only) and try to do what Tulane did last year, which in the future would put us in the expanded playoff.
Pretty sad that’s how far we’ve fallen back to but yes I agree.

Reaction Score
I'm more surprised that Miami voted yes on this than I am that NC State flipped their vote.

The SEC may have no interest in Miami, but I believe the B1G would jump at the chance to get into recruiting-rich Florida with a newly minted AAU school.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The current ACC will never take us. I don’t know why that isn’t abundantly clear to people at this point.
The pitch will be made.....when we join the AAC for football only next spring you'll have your confirmation it is fully dead.

Reaction Score
Here's an idea. Stanford, Cal and SMU need another West Coast school to reduce travel time, say it is SDSU. Let the ACC add SDSU and UConn at the same time. Maybe the B12 will get jealous and there is a war between the two conferences to get UConn/SDSU.
Charlie nice to meet you

Reaction Score
Expect us to make the same pitch this fall to be #18. Will the public hear about it - probably not. Unlike the past, this has been a year of pitching ideas and the pitching will continue.

We cannot make the same pitch.

We would be paying a 30 million exit fee to make AAC type money again, according to SMU. UConn has already determined this to be the same as Big East money minus the travel. And Big East money may increase

When the time comes for SMU to make the ACC money is when FSU and Clemson will leave, because their payouts will be cut back, and penalties will be cheaper for them.

When that happens, ACC is no longer a power conference, we will continue to make AAC type money

So we will have paid 30 million, and left our success in the Big East for nothing

Reaction Score
Do you really think Disney would honor that contract if any key members left the ACC?
I don’t know. But if that 15-team threshold is accurate, Disney could save a lot of money taking the top of the Big XII to the ACC in 2031. No one will be bidding $60+m for the state of Utah at that point.

Reaction Score
How many teams will be needed now to dissolve the ACC. Can FSU count on Stanford, Cal and SMU to vote for dissolution? Does it make it easier to dissolve now beyond the seven members who said yes before?

Reaction Score
We acted like we were Rhode Island or New Hampshire for way, way too long and it’s killed us.

Again, with the exception of M/W Basketball, until the late-1990s, UConn was UMass/URI. A Northeast state flagship basketball school with I-AA football. It wasn't until the 1980s that UConn was the strongest football program in its own state - it was Yale.

UConn tried to join the FB club way too late. And they only joined because of the opportunity presented by the Patriots proposal and the Big East offer. UConn didn't even really try - it just fell into their lap. Schools like UNLV, Hawaii, and East Carolina have been playing at the major level for twice as long as UConn.

Its a tough pill to swallow, but that's what's happening. Its not like the school can wave their finger and let 60+ years be forgotten. No one in the current administration has the ability to fix the conference situation with money or marketing; they can only do their best with what they've got to work with.

Reaction Score
Again, with the exception of M/W Basketball, until the late-1990s, UConn was UMass/URI. A Northeast state flagship basketball school with I-AA football. It wasn't until the 1980s that UConn was the strongest football program in its own state - it was Yale.

UConn tried to join the FB club way too late. And they only joined because of the opportunity presented by the Patriots proposal and the Big East offer. UConn didn't even really try - it just fell into their lap. Schools like UNLV, Hawaii, and East Carolina have been playing at the major level for twice as long as UConn.

Its a tough pill to swallow, but that's what's happening. Its not like the school can wave their finger and let 60+ years be forgotten. No one in the current administration has the ability to fix the conference situation with money or marketing; they can only do their best with what they've got to work with.
I disagree. UConn had national championships in polo, soccer, field hockey in the 70s and 80s. It was in the college world series in the late 70s. We have had many All Americans and some Olympians.

Reaction Score

We would be paying a 30 million exit fee to make AAC type money again, according to SMU. UConn has already determined this to be the same as Big East money minus the travel. And Big East money may increase

When the time comes for SMU to make the ACC money is when FSU and Clemson will leave, because their payouts will be cut back, and penalties will be cheaper for them.

When that happens, ACC is no longer a power conference, we will continue to make AAC type money

So we will have paid 30 million, and left our success in the Big East for nothing
That $30m penalty though is reduced significantly in a couple years

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

This is such a failure of logic that it's painful.

Reaction Score

That would mean one fewer independent for us to schedule and we are scheduled to play them next year. Not good.

UConn and UMass last independents standing. Notre Dame is not really independent as they have a scheduling alliance with the ACC, Navy, Stanford and USC

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm more surprised that Miami voted yes on this than I am that NC State flipped their vote.

The SEC may have no interest in Miami, but I believe the B1G would jump at the chance to get into recruiting-rich Florida with a newly minted AAU school.
Miami is fools gold. The media continues to love them, which leads to overinflated early rankings. And every year reality sets in : they are a mediocre program with bandwagon-only fans.

Since 2007, they are 1-10 in bowl games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Miami is fools gold. The media continues to love them, which leads to overinflated early rankings. And every year reality sets in : they are a mediocre program with bandwagon-only fans.

Since 2007, they are 1-10 in bowl games.
With nil money, Ohio state and Michigan can get a kid from Miami without ever playing them. Saying a school opens up a recruiting base for a school is so 1980.

Reaction Score
anyone think we maybe should have stayed in the AAC? I get the basketball argument but at least we’d have a home for football. Plenty of other schools Tulane, Houston, UCF, Cinci made it work. Now look at them. Honestly maybe the problem was us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom