Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 733 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
how is it that we’re like the only school to win a national championship in basketball and reach a bowl game and still end up left at the table? I just don’t know what we do at this point. What else is there for us to prove?

If the ACC takes SMU, Stanford and Cal there’s legitimately no path left for a P5 invite until the 2030s.

Can someone explain to me what the heck we do?

Reaction Score
how is it that we’re like the only school to win a national championship in basketball and reach a bowl game and still end up left at the table? I just don’t know what we do at this point. What else is there for us to prove?

If the ACC takes SMU, Stanford and Cal there’s legitimately no path left for a P5 invite until the 2030s.

Might be a little late, but more commitment to football is the only way.

Reaction Score
Even if it’s 7 years from now, Stanford, Cal and SMU will eventually get full ACC shares. This will cost the current members money. This is the point the ACC likely implodes. Only a few years later the GOR ends.

Reaction Score

Just keep doing what your tour doing and enjoy watching UConn athletics. It's college sports, not life or death.

Reaction Score
Even if it’s 7 years from now, Stanford, Cal and SMU will eventually get full ACC shares. This will cost the current members money. This is the point the ACC likely implodes. Only a few years later the GOR ends.

Full shares comes just after the Big XII’s new contract is hashed out. I imagine those negotiations will decide the ACC’s outlook. I don’t think the current media model is sustainable and I’m skeptical the Big XII’s current composition will work in the new world order coming. Time will tell.

Orc

Reaction Score

Winning doesn’t guarantee that we get in. Maybe try another tactic like bribery? Lol

Reaction Score

Reaching a bowl game, for the first time in years, after a 6-7 (losing) season? That's a participation trophy.

If UConn were consistently good in basketball, and it is, then it would be a worthy addition to any basketball-centric conference in the country, even the very best basketball-centric conference. And that's where you are, in the very best basketball-centric conference in the country. Rejoice!

If UConn aspires to join a more football-centric conference, then it probably needs to prove that it can be consistently good in football -- good enough, at least, to garner wider media interest. UConn hasn't done that.

Of course, there are other factors at play besides athletic prowess: geography, market, academics, fan-base, facilities, history, endowment, rivalries, research activity, public perception, and so on.

pj

Reaction Score
Full shares comes just after the Big XII’s new contract is hashed out. I imagine those negotiations will decide the ACC’s outlook. I don’t think the current media model is sustainable and I’m skeptical the Big XII’s current composition will work in the new world order coming. Time will tell.

Agreed, although you could say something similar about the ACC. In the new world order, in order to capture maximal value, the current conferences may have to dissolve and re-form in new structures and combinations. If not, the best properties in ACC and B12 will migrate to the conferences like B1G and SEC that are better placed, with reduced/discriminatory rates to reflect lower value -- but permanently reduced as opposed to the temporarily reduced rates that Oregon and Washington just accepted.

Reaction Score

UConn make two horrible hires with Red Pants and Edsall 2.0. I thought back then Edsall 2.0.was one of the worst hires that year when much better football coaches were available. Edsall just got fired from Maryland where his team looked totally out of the sync, and his offense and defense were just outdated. Still, we gave him a job and did not fire him after year 1 when it was clear he was over his head.

We picked the worst stretch of time to be bad in football. Also, we are a victim of bad timing. ACC took Louisville because FSU and Clemson had a hissy fit with the NC schools. B12 didn't take us because FOX and B1G decided to destroy the PAC-12.

Going forward, I think this indy football with other sports in a regional conference make the most sense. UConn just got a head start. I can see all the valuable big schools doing that since there is no way teams like OSU and USC want to subsidize schools like RU and Northwestern forever.

UConn needs to secure a good streaming contract combined with linear TV for football ASAP.

Reaction Score
UConn make two horrible hires with Red Pants and Edsall 2.0. I thought back then Edsall 2.0.was one of the worst hires that year when much better football coaches were available. Edsall just got fired from Maryland where his team looked totally out of the sync, and his offense and defense were just outdated. Still, we gave him a job and did not fire him after year 1 when it was clear he was over his head.

We picked the worst stretch of time to be bad in football. Also, we are a victim of bad timing. ACC took Louisville because FSU and Clemson had a hissy fit with the NC schools. B12 didn't take us because FOX and B1G decided to destroy the PAC-12.

Going forward, I think this indy football with other sports in a regional conference make the most sense. UConn just got a head start. I can see all the valuable big schools doing that since there is no way teams like OSU and USC want to subsidize schools like RU and Northwestern forever.

UConn needs to secure a good streaming contract combined with linear TV for football ASAP.
Diaco was a bad hire. Edsall was waving a human white flag. At most they should have sent him packing after year 2. There was nothing there.

Reaction Score

This exactly.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
The travel for non-revenue sports would be terrible for the ACC schools as Cal and Stanford play many sports that would then play in the ACC. Think men's sports: baseball, cross country, golf, rowing, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, wrestling. women's sports: cross country, field hockey, golf, gymnastics, lacrosse, rowing, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, track and field, volleyball.

Why would the ACC schools consider adding Stanford and Cal (or SMU), when you would get a small boost in revenues and a big increase in costs? $70 million divided by 14.33 = ~$5 million per school if split equally and other conference payouts like NCAA basketball credits and CFP payouts would be diluted by adding 3 schools. If our 3% for Syracuse is correct, they would get $2.1 million in revenues, then have higher travel costs and diluted NCAA and CFP payouts. Crazy if the add them.
Honestly, if you can bundle playing both schools into a single trip, the only variable in cost compared to a trip to BC or Syracuse is the flight; still have to pay for hotel and food regardless of where you travel

Reaction Score

Too bad people that get it don't make the decisions. They nail it btw. Love how just 8 Days ago he says doesn't look like Stanford and Cal and SMU are going to be in ACC because they really don't add any value and arent a good fit... but of coarse rule #1 says programs don't need to be power 5 (SMU) or add athletic value (CAL) they just need to be connected.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could be dead by then.

Reaction Score

I guess that doesn’t mean as much as you think it does.

We’re not seen as additive. The conferences that we need to be in already get what we have from someone else.

And what we have isn’t perceived as valuable enough to add.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom