Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 727 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
A recruiting base in the largest state for football talent in the US and access to the country's 5th largest TV market in DFW, which happens to think football is a scared religion.
Let's see it happen. Makes no sense based on anything the ACC has ever done or geographically but nothing makes sense anymore.

Reaction Score
A recruiting base in the largest state for football talent in the US and access to the country's 5th largest TV market in DFW, which happens to think football is a scared religion.
Explain to me how a school that gets maybe 25k per game is relevant in the Dallas market? Going forward, brands matter more than markets.

Reaction Score
SMU.

Awful fact, the first win after the death penalty was was vs UConn. Tom Jackson team just collapsed in a horrible way in 4th quarter.

They call it the Miracle on Mockingbird down there. Famous game for their fans. Go figure.
Smu lost the next game 59-6 and went winless after that. Can't make this stuff up, lol. Smus coach was larger than all of his players.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You likely don't know the entire story (understandable as it was four decades ago).

Unlike most cases where there was an attempt at plausible deniability and while many within the school with a wink and a nod attempted to give the appearance that they didn't know kids were getting paid or who was paying them, SMU had regular "board meetings" with the board being the school's president, a couple other high level school officials (including members of the athletic department) and some high powered boosters (who sourced the money). The meetings were designed to improve the effectiveness of recruiting players to be able to compete with the best teams in the country.

Part of what blew up in SMU's face was that the president, while running for some elected office (I think governor but it may have been senator) in a TV interview (not long before the death penalty) claimed (as there had been recent sanctions) that he had no knowledge of booster payments, only to be shown a letter to a player, with his stationary (as SMU's president) and signature thanking the kid for choosing SMU and including a copy of the check that was enclosed in the letter.

That is what led the NCAA to take steps that they never felt they would have to take.
Yeah, I remember much of that. My point wasn’t that SMU wasn’t completely guilty. Rather that no school has any control whatsoever over what boosters do. So the entire enforcement regime was a twisted mess where a school was supposed to police third parties that they had no ability to police other than by threatening to disassociate them. It was stupid. It’s no wonder it eventually collapsed.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
One president finally spoke the truth. It's a paid article unfortunately.

… all better: Pac-12 collapse: WSU’s Schulz suggests Fox’s strategy (to block Apple) fueled Big Ten’s raid of Washington, Oregon ;)

Reaction Score
One president finally spoke the truth. It's a paid article unfortunately.

Fox didn’t move until Colorado did. That’s what started the house of cards falling. Schulz is just afraid the blame will come back to him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
They also never stopped paying the kids after they were caught and they knew the stiffest possible penalties were on the table. It was massive cheating from the top down.

Dickerson is from my buddy's hometown Sealy, Texas and he used to drive the gold trans-am all over town and would still drive it to the high school football games. My buddy was the star QB and his best friend and running back was Dickerson's nephew. He was supposed to be as good as Dickerson but he tragically died in a car accident when he was a senior in high school. His son Ricky Seals-Jones currently plays in the NFL. Insane amount of talent in that tiny town.
IIRC, the Trans-Am was officially the Black Gold version. As the story goes, a booster from A&M put the down payment on the car for Dickerson as an inducement. When SMU showed up to recruit him he told them he preferred SMU but thought because of the car he was stuck with A&M. An SMU booster called the dealer, paid for the car in full (the dealer gave the A&M guy his down payment back) and Dickerson was free to go the SMU.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Fox didn’t move until Colorado did. That’s what started the house of cards falling. Schulz is just afraid the blame will come back to him.

What school are you a fan of?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But what is happening is the commissioner calls them and says, ‘We’d like to add X and Y,’ and (the networks) get to make the decision, ‘Do I give a pro-rata amount for that?’ Or do I say, ‘Sorry, we’re not going to give you any money.’ I would argue that’s the golden rule: Whoever has the gold makes the rules. And that’s where we are right now.”

Reaction Score
Yep this sounds right...None of this is new, it's just who gets left behind after the collusion between conferences and TV partners who move parts (schools) to entities (B1G, Big 12) that they have under contract.... from places (PAC 12) that are ready to become free agents/ taking bids. With the goal as Uconn fans know to well is don't ever allow the free agent (previosly the BE, now the Pac 12) to get to market.

Most probably read this before....
"ESPN strikes preemptivey to take teams away from the Big East and move them to the ACC (who they do have a billion dollar TV contract with)"

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Going from being the Beasts of the East/Big East and owning The Garden to being less than second class citizens in some other conference would destroy the UConn brand, we would be looked at as a laughingstock.
This is such a defeatist attitude for a fan to have. Why not believe UConn can be great in any conference? Why are we the only school that can’t do it?

Reaction Score
This is such a defeatist attitude for a fan to have. Why not believe UConn can be great in any conference? Why are we the only school that can’t do it?
We have glass half empty and glass half full fans. UConn has had some bad luck some of it is simple geography.

If you’re fans meet up with old friends and go to games. Drive up to Storrs. It’s a whole new campus.

Reaction Score
The defeatist attitude is going to play across the country in someone else's conference for free. Any school can do it but you're going to be the butt of the joke.

Reaction Score
The defeatist attitude is going to play across the country in someone else's conference for free. Any school can do it but you're going to be the butt of the joke.

When we lose a basketball or football game, I’m miserable. Often for days. Not once have I been made miserable because someone else is joking about UConn. Thus, I can’t imagine caring.

(That does not mean I don’t care about protecting our future or our conference situation.)

Reaction Score
Since threads are off topic, I have a question. All the football recruits supposedly told we would be in Big 12, have any dropped their commitment?

Reaction Score
Since threads are off topic, I have a question. All the football recruits supposedly told we would be in Big 12, have any dropped their commitment?
There was one commit (Texas QB Cole Welliver) that referenced the Big 12 possibilities/rumor coming up during his recruitment:

-> Welliver did say that the idea of UConn moving to the Big 12 conference, a rumor that has resurfaced in recent weeks, was brought up on his visit. “They were talking about the Big 12 and moving to the Big 12; saying how, if it does go through, how such a big deal that would be for all of the players and the school.

Welliver clarified that the Power Five possibility served as merely a “cherry on top” for his decision making; he was coming to Storrs regardless.

“Going to a school, I feel like it’s mostly about the coaches. Being with the right kind of coach and a coach that will fit my style.” <-

He is still committed to UConn and they have been no known decommits from the current 2024 class commits. Last year it was the ACC rumors during recruiting visits.

Reaction Score
All we can do is try and win games. Beating NC State is job 1. I’m supremely disappointed in UConn’s unwillingness to engage on this issue. We are afraid of our own shadows. Get out there and frigging sell the brand coast to coast. Cut some scheduling deals with the PAC 4. Hiding away in the corner is no way to advance out cause.

Reaction Score
All we can do is try and win games. Beating NC State is job 1. I’m supremely disappointed in UConn’s unwillingness to engage on this issue. We are afraid of our own shadows. Get out there and frigging sell the brand coast to coast. Cut some scheduling deals with the PAC 4. Hiding away in the corner is no way to advance out cause.
Umm. We might have to wait and see WHAT THEY decide to do before we take shots at our administration for not doing anything.

I do wonder why if Apple wants in the game so badly, they don't work with those 4 to cherry pick teams into a FB only conference, while making it financially viable to select teams to walk away from the AAC, MWC, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom