Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 584 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
If it's the two Arizona schools and Utah we'll know Yormark is full of crap. I can't imagine he doesn't have the juice to get his way and expand East/NYC and showcase the untapped basketball value after he's gotten the school presidents what they want. These Pac schools are all out for themselves and don't have the bargaining chips, there is no 4 corner schools block.
It's possible Yormark doesn't have the vote to add us. Not everyone thinks that highly of the east/NYC region.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm not ready to concede anything yet but if it does end up being the two Arizona schools and Utah the possibility exists that the media partners were involved to some extent. They would be more willing to pay P5 football dollars to schools that have been P5 for an extended time (with the newest being the strongest program) than a school that they have no reason to believe can be competitive at a P5 level in football for the foreseeable future.

It sucks, it's small minded thinking but small minded thinking has been television's MO since Truman was president.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
I still think Yormack wants Arizona and UConn and had to do a lot of convincing to Arizona that it was either Arizona State or Utah and they could choose. And he had to be careful in his approach in order not to alienate them.

Arizona does not have much leverage. So hopefully this is how it plays out.

Unless you think the B12 presidents witnessed what happened with their conference’s fate compared to what’s happening in the PAC and told him to shove his northeast ideas. I don’t think they would react that way. Not smart to tick off a commissioner who saved them.
Oh I agree, I don't think Yormark's mind has changed. It is the Big 12 presidents I'm worried about. I don't know what they're thinking; sadly, I think it's possible that some of them can't wrap their minds around passing on a current P5 school (any current P5 school) to choose UConn instead. Of course it would be wise of them to trust Yormark's vision, as you say, and I hope they see it that way as well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why would the p5 status matter to a college hoops coach? If anything isn't getting paid a top salary while also being the top dog on a campus a benefit? I'm not so sure the p5 would break off to have their own tournament and the Big East would be excluded. There has to be more than just teams from the big ten, big 12, sec and acc in that tournament.

I do agree the next Big east tv deal is likely to be awful, so agree there.

Maybe necessitates a move to the MAC or another league that would take us as football only because you're right we get $0 from the CFP.

1) Because that’s where the money will be. It’s more than salary - it’s player benefits, travel, staff pool, facilities, etc., all stuff that costs money. Assuming that we can keep up when our rights revenue only covers 2/3rds of the coaches salary is a bridge too far.

2) The MAC will not take us. (See UMass, MAC.) Putting football in CUSA or whatever league that is desperate enough to take us will not be a pretty sight.

3) Everyone knows that the NCAA is not going to last forever, right? There will be a split and there’s no magical bubble protecting basketball from that. The PAC12 has existed for a century and is about to be torn apart by its peers so people who think that kindness and goodwill will save basketball are just not paying attention.

Reaction Score
Oh I agree, I don't think Yormark's mind has changed. It is the Big 12 presidents I'm worried about. I don't know what they're thinking; sadly, I think it's possible that some of them can't wrap their minds around passing on a current G5 school (any current G5 school) to choose UConn instead. Of course it would be wise of them to trust Yormark's vision, as you say, and I hope they see it that way as well.
The big 12 presidents will do whatever he recommends. They care about the bottom line not how a football team has done the last 10 years. It’s up to fox.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Oh I agree, I don't think Yormark's mind has changed. It is the Big 12 presidents I'm worried about. I don't know what they're thinking; sadly, I think it's possible that some of them can't wrap their minds around passing on a current G5 school (any current G5 school) to choose UConn instead. Of course it would be wise of them to trust Yormark's vision, as you say, and I hope they see it that way as well.
The attitude of many of the mens bb posters prior to this years postseason was Hurley needs to get past the first round otherwise he will begin to be on the hot seat. Fast forward to the present and a frequent saying is “in Hurley we trust”.

The presidents may have preferences who they want in their conference. The presidents may have an aversion to a northeastern school. The presidents might not like the traveling.

But all of that has to be looked at next to what Yormack has accomplished. It’s hard to go against success especially when the success was absolutely unexpected. Most likely they’ll reward that success by following his lead.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that doesn't add up for me.
it does for me. I wouldn't be surprised if some presidents don't want to be in the North East market for their own reasons.

Reaction Score
1) Because that’s where the money will be. It’s more than salary - it’s player benefits, travel, staff pool, facilities, etc., all stuff that costs money. Assuming that we can keep up when our rights revenue only covers 2/3rds of the coaches salary is a bridge too far.

2) The MAC will not take us. (See UMass, MAC.) Putting football in CUSA or whatever league that is desperate enough to take us will not be a pretty sight.

3) Everyone knows that the NCAA is not going to last forever, right? There will be a split and there’s no magical bubble protecting basketball from that. The PAC12 has existed for a century and is about to be torn apart by its peers so people who think that kindness and goodwill will save basketball are just not paying attention.
3) Again, what does that look like? Is it a P-2, P-3, or P-4? Do they just abandon the regular season for basketball and run a 54-56 team tournament where every single team from the P-whatever is invited?

Reaction Score
Doesn't Fox already have us for like $4 million a year? Why would they want to move us to the Big 12 to pay us $32 million a year?
I think the split is Fox pays $11M and ESPN pays $20M.

Going from $4M to $11M isn’t that big if a stretch, especially considering $4M is extremely undervalued and doesn’t include UConn football

Reaction Score
3) Again, what does that look like? Is it a P-2, P-3, or P-4? Do they just abandon the regular season for basketball and run a 54-56 team tournament where every single team from the P-whatever is invited?
oh they will 100% ruin college basketball by modeling it after the NBA playoffs.

Reaction Score
it does for me. I wouldn't be surprised if some presidents don't want to be in the North East market for their own reasons.
Boosters maybe. Presidents don’t care at all.

Reaction Score
That wouldn't surprise me, what would surprise me is if they crap all over the commissioner who saved their conference of relatively weak schools and positioned them as the third conference and got them a contract they really had no business getting.

Reaction Score
That wouldn't surprise me, what would surprise me is if they crap all over the commissioner who saved their conference of relatively weak schools and positioned them as the third conference and got them a contract they really had no business getting.
they're college administrators. they all think they're geniuses and know better than everyone else.

Reaction Score
Just so the math is clear…together, the teams in the PAC are worth about $200M. Apart, 8 of them are worth $325M (assuming 4 to Big12 and 4 to Big10), so by extrapolation WSU and OSU are worth -$125M?
I view this is actually good for UConn's chances. It seems that being a league that has only one timezone the schools are not very valuable, but they are valuable when they are in a league that crosses all the timezones, in fact a lot more valuable.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Doesn't Fox already have us for like $4 million a year? Why would they want to move us to the Big 12 to pay us $32 million a year?
I’d have to think because expanding into the New England market will make them more money on their next negotiation. By then Yormack probably envisions the UConn/Cuse/BC scenario taking place and adding tons of value as a collective to their conference. Can Fox stop the B12 from adding someone they want?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom