Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 480 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I agree. Can we get on with our lives?

It’s has Tony Altimore, a Wednesday night stream and a stack of quarters. Same it’s been for months now.

Reaction Score
More Commissioner speak:

Assisted access <<

-> You’ve been very open about possible expansion for the Big 12. Why do you believe that adding schools could help the league’s growth?

“Whatever we do in expansion, it has to be additive. We have these guiding principles for expansion that I think about with academic alignment and leadership because leadership is critically important. Cultural fit truly matters, as does geography, athletic performance and brand upside.

“I love the makeup of our conference right now. The composition is great, but to the extent that we can create value, nationalize our brand and not just in how people perceive who we are as the Big 12. If we can do something, that would be great, but it has to fit and be right and most importantly, it’s got to create value for the conference.”

There are conferences with 16 member schools. Is there a tipping point when it comes to membership?

“There’s strength in numbers, but we’re not chasing a number. It’s not like I wake up and say I want to be at 14 or 12 or 16 or whatever the number might be. It’s really about whether we have the right cultural fit. Do we have the right makeup? Is everyone aligned regarding the mission and vision of where we’re going? But at the same time, if there are ways to complement and create value I’m open to it. Whether that means we add two or more — who knows — but I’ve never really been chasing a number and I’ve never really looked at it from a number perspective.

“I want us to be the best version of ourselves. I’m not chasing the Big Ten or the SEC or any conference. I just want us to be the best version of ourselves.”<-

Reaction Score
More Commissioner speak:

Assisted access <<

-> You’ve been very open about possible expansion for the Big 12. Why do you believe that adding schools could help the league’s growth?

“Whatever we do in expansion, it has to be additive. We have these guiding principles for expansion that I think about with academic alignment and leadership because leadership is critically important. Cultural fit truly matters, as does geography, athletic performance and brand upside.

“I love the makeup of our conference right now. The composition is great, but to the extent that we can create value, nationalize our brand and not just in how people perceive who we are as the Big 12. If we can do something, that would be great, but it has to fit and be right and most importantly, it’s got to create value for the conference.”

There are conferences with 16 member schools. Is there a tipping point when it comes to membership?

“There’s strength in numbers, but we’re not chasing a number. It’s not like I wake up and say I want to be at 14 or 12 or 16 or whatever the number might be. It’s really about whether we have the right cultural fit. Do we have the right makeup? Is everyone aligned regarding the mission and vision of where we’re going? But at the same time, if there are ways to complement and create value I’m open to it. Whether that means we add two or more — who knows — but I’ve never really been chasing a number and I’ve never really looked at it from a number perspective.

“I want us to be the best version of ourselves. I’m not chasing the Big Ten or the SEC or any conference. I just want us to be the best version of ourselves.”<-
Also note the answer to this question:

The Big 12 announced an initiative to play athletic events in Mexico. Why the push there and how do you see it benefitting the league long-term?

“When I took the job, I always aspired for us to have an international strategy, but I didn’t think it would come in soon. I experienced Mexico, specifically Mexico City when I took the Brooklyn Nets there in 2016, so I knew the market.

So Yormark goes back to his basketball roots in NYC and knowing the market. He's done it once and hopefully, he does it again.

Reaction Score
Seems to contradict a earlier statement about numbers.
Didn’t he say in previous discussion that he wants to be back to 14 after TX/OK departure?

Is what it is, but sounds like he’s backed off a previous comment for some reason.

Reaction Score
More Commissioner speak:

Assisted access <<

“Whatever we do in expansion, it has to be additive. We have these guiding principles for expansion...

“There’s strength in numbers... "

Whenever you hear "nationalize our brand" then do a quick filter there aren't a lot of ways to do that. The ACC is stuck. But there is definitely one avenue of least resistance that checks a lot of boxes and is undervalued if anything. Of course the UConn option has to be sold to membership and media partners. I think the last is the big sticking point, but if he's a strong leader terms can be negotiated.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Same reason your dog doesn't admit he ate your sandwich.

FB_IMG_1688670820867.jpg

Reaction Score
More Commissioner speak:

Assisted access <<

The sound of one hand clapping. Yomark is proving to be a noise machine saying a lot while adding up to nothing.

Reaction Score
The sound of one hand clapping. Yomark is proving to be a noise machine saying a lot while adding up to nothing.
Clearly he's waiting to see what happens with the PAC media deal before adding schools.

Reaction Score
I don't agree with this take. It only seems like he keeps talking because that article is a rehash of the interview from last week with Yormark. It was just published in the Orlando Sentinel now because UCF became a member of the Big 12 on July 1.

Reaction Score
Bunch to unpack in the article (see last few paragraphs on PAC12 Media deal) but…

-> Though SDSU once believed the Pac-12 and Big 12 were interested in adding it to their respective conferences, the Big 12 has little interest in bringing SDSU aboard, sources indicated to CBS Sports this week. This despite Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark's stated intent to expand his league to the West Coast.

Rather, the Big 12's current expansion focus continues to be on UConn and any Pac-12 schools that may be shaken loose once it has a media rights deal to pitch to its membership. <-

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Bunch to unpack in the article (see last few paragraphs on PAC12 Media deal) but…

-> Though SDSU once believed the Pac-12 and Big 12 were interested in adding it to their respective conferences, the Big 12 has little interest in bringing SDSU aboard, sources indicated to CBS Sports this week. This despite Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark's stated intent to expand his league to the West Coast.

Rather, the Big 12's current expansion focus continues to be on UConn and any Pac-12 schools that may be shaken loose once it has a media rights deal to pitch to its membership. <-

EXCELLENT news

Reaction Score

The fact that cbs sports is positively linking UConn to the Big 12 tells me it’s a done deal and details / due diligence being worked out. Their preference would be to name this round of additions in one announcement.
I feel they consider UConn and Colorado as in and are waiting to see if they can pull in Arizona and (either Az St, UNLV, or Utah). If they take in 2, great! Those 4 would be outstanding for the conference. The potential is HUGE.
The idea of adding NYC, Denver, Phoenix, and Las Vegas is branding/marketing genius.

Reaction Score
The fact that cbs sports is positively linking UConn to the Big 12 tells me it’s a done deal and details / due diligence being worked out. Their preference would be to name this round of additions in one announcement.
I feel they consider UConn and Colorado as in and are waiting to see if they can pull in Arizona and (either Az St, UNLV, or Utah). If they take in 2, great! Those 4 would be outstanding for the conference. The potential is HUGE.
The idea of adding NYC, Denver, Phoenix, and Las Vegas is branding/marketing genius.
Unfortunately it's not a done deal. Colorado is still iffy. I don't think any other PAC schools are leaving.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it's not a done deal. Colorado is still iffy. I don't think any other PAC schools are leaving.
I understand what you’re saying but, at this point, and with the amount of discussion out there, the Big 12 would not look good if they left UConn standing at the altar. And, my daughter is an alumni of Colorado and I lived out there for 10 years - culturally they do not identify with the west coast.

Reaction Score

The interview with Dodd is here (scroll down for the Dennis Dodd segment). Talk of basketball starts at 15:05. Dodd says that Yormark's next move will be a significant push to get UConn in.

Reaction Score
BYU bought an ad in Times Square. I think that they would vote for UConn to be added because of their mission to spread their religion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom