Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 564 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
So if none of the Pac 12 schools, including the 2 most valuable brands, UCLA and USC, could hit those benchmarks, then why exactly does the Big 12 even think any of the leftovers are valuable, like at all? This is maddening. If these schools didn't have the P5 moniker attached to them out of sheer luck, they would be on the streets begging.
Who says they think they're valuable?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Uh, the Big 12? Which is why they are trying to poach them?
OK, but how much were UCG, Houston and Cinci "worth" in the American? BYU doesn't announce their ESPN deal, but does anybody think it is even $10M?

The PAC has a time zone problem. They always had a time zone problem. UCS and UCLA are more valuable in the B1G in part because they will be playing on eastern and central time more often. But also because there are just more quality games. The whole PAC has fewer quality games with those two teams gone.

Not a single school in any conference would be "worth" more on its own than it does in conference. Not one.

Reaction Score
So if none of the Pac 12 schools, including the 2 most valuable brands, UCLA and USC, could hit those benchmarks, then why exactly does the Big 12 even think any of the leftovers are valuable, like at all? This is maddening. If these schools didn't have the P5 moniker attached to them out of sheer luck, they would be on the streets begging.

You are conflating subscribers and viewers. I'm not paying extra $$ for any sports channel. But I sure as heck will watch a lot of teams if their games are free as part of my cable subscription.

The PACN was poorly managed or designed. No one east of the Rockies could watch it, even if you wanted to. it made the PAC situation even worse, because you took schools who said they never got enough attention and made their content unviewable.

Reaction Score
I trust you more than GoKU at this point. Gonna be another beer night.
I got no inside stuff. Though I could get it i needed to. But, these are decisions made with a ton of information and explored all angles.

For Arizona, they have a fiduciary responsibility to both schools. I am actually thinking they are going to stay in Pac-9, expand if they can. Why not? Add SDSU, SMU and maybe one more.

I still don’t get why Utah would ever leave Pac-12, unless it new wash and Oregon were gone.

Reaction Score
What I read into it, is that this guy is a chooch.
I don't think Steinberg has ever had anything good to say when he refers to Uconn. Him and Trammel must be close buddies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I don't think Steinberg has ever had anything good to say when he refers to Uconn. Him and Trammel must be close buddies.
Russ is a UConn fan but based on twitter posts is not in favor of the move to the Big 12.

Reaction Score
The Oregon/Washington duo will never agree to this so my guess is the P12 is about to blow.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thamel confirming what we've heard about the TV Deal.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I got no inside stuff. Though I could get it i needed to. But, these are decisions made with a ton of information and explored all angles.

For Arizona, they have a fiduciary responsibility to both schools. I am actually thinking they are going to stay in Pac-9, expand if they can. Why not? Add SDSU, SMU and maybe one more.

I still don’t get why Utah would ever leave Pac-12, unless it new wash and Oregon were gone.

Something that I looked up during this whole saga is the percentage of out of state students in the Arizona university system. Arizona, Arizona State and Northern Arizona get a higher percentage of out of state students than any other university system in the US. Further, more California college students attend the Arizona schools than any other state.

It doesn't take a whole lot of kids at 50k/year a pop to make a pretty compelling argument as to why they should stay in a league with a presence in California (Cal, Stanford, likely San Diego State too).

So while we may be debating $10M/year delta in a tv deal between the Pac and Big12, the decision makers at these schools could be looking at the 1,000 California kids a year paying 50k a year at 50M a year and weighing how the athletic conference changing to a Texas based league could impact that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Something that I looked up during this whole saga is the percentage of out of state students in the Arizona university system. Arizona, Arizona State and Northern Arizona get a higher percentage of out of state students than any other university system in the US. Further, more California college students attend the Arizona schools than any other state.

It doesn't take a whole lot of kids at 50k/year a pop to make a pretty compelling argument as to why they should stay in a league with a presence in California (Cal, Stanford, likely San Diego State too).

So while we may be debating $10M/year delta in a tv deal between the Pac and Big12, the decision makers at these schools could be looking at the 1,000 California kids a year paying 50k a year at 50M a year and weighing how the athletic conference changing to a Texas based league could impact that.
The Presidents absolutely think about those things. Athletics is a small part of the overall budget. They will look at the big picture.

Reaction Score
Nah. There is a large segment of fans and media that are “basketball people.”

They prioritize basketball above the entire athletic department.
Which is okay, but when you throw in like "reproductive emergency" as part of your argument, you are really really reaching.

Reaction Score
Apple TV/Amazon/YouTube is way to go. That is going to dominate content in coming years.
It might be the way to go in the future, but it is going to cause the PAC-9 to keep losing members.

Reaction Score

While a smaller share to be sure, I think I saw Colorado gets three times as many kids from California as Texas. It was one of the things that led them to the pac last decade, but wasn’t compelling enough now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom