Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 561 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This is where our fan base misses the point.

Football, at least in terms of what we've been fighting for a couple decades now, is more important than everything else combined when it comes to collegiate sports.
It’s about money unless you believe they took Rutgers for their football program and not their market.

Yormack is not taking UConn or U of A if they get the invite because of football. He’s gambling on a paradigm shift. It’s his opinion that basketball is undervalued. He’s not saying it’s worth more than football. He’s creating a conference that has the best opportunity to increase revenue for bb over what bb is generating now.

Reaction Score
Well, how this works is, someone responds to a post with a question, you answer it.

Why is that so hard? And why would you say I am the only one arguing it? Others have said the same thing. I happen to be the one getting the replies.

So the rule according to you is I am only to reply to something you agree with?
Asking questions, getting responses, and replying is on thing. It’s been going on for two or three pages! Let it go.
You’re trying to prove something that isn’t provable.

Reaction Score
The wording “ASU and Utah will follow AZ” is interesting.

Does the B12 want them? With 2 teams gone, I’d be turning up the heat on Wash and Ore first before taking anyone else.
Exactly. What are Oregon and Washington doing behind the scenes? Those are by far the biggest names available in the Pac. If the Big XII isn't in contact with them, there must be a reason. And it's not because they hate money.

Reaction Score
It’s about money unless you believe they took Rutgers for their football program and not their market.

Yormack is not taking UConn or U of A if they get the invite because of football. He’s gambling on a paradigm shift. It’s his opinion that basketball is undervalued. He’s not saying it’s worth more than football. He’s creating a conference that has the best opportunity to increase revenue for bb over what bb is generating now.
But what is he going to do that the old BE or the ACC of 2015-2019 weren't doing? Pay per view games?

Reaction Score
I don't think our fan base misses the point. It's just that Brett Yormark has been talking a different game and we got our hopes up.
Yeah but we're still on the outside looking in despite his talk and our willingness to go in if asked.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
But what is he going to do that the old BE or the ACC of 2015-2019 weren't doing? Pay per view games?
That’s a good question. But he has a plan and was able to sell it to the media partners. We’ll have to wait much longer than this current round of realignment to know what it is and if it can be successful.

But we can infer there must be merit. Entities rarely give away money without some basis for success.

Reaction Score
It will be very hard though to get them to travel to B12 locales other than Orlando. This conference really is unappealing. Some places like Lawrence, Kansas could have appeal, but they're hard to get to from Hartford.

Ever been to Stillwater, OK? I have. It was hard to keep my jaw from dropping as I was driven through town. And I don't mean that in a good way. The coals joke that it got its name not because the water was still but because there was still some water over there.
Unfortunately - the same is true for travelling from Boulder to Storrs. Much more likely to travel from Durham or Pittsburgh.
Top teams travel to Happy Valley, Athens GA etc- there is so much money in college football- travel is just the cost of doing business

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I had a better time in Ft. Worth than I did in Raleigh, just sayin.
Many flight options to DFW and only 20 miles from there to downtown Ft. Worth and a few more to the TCU campus and new football stadium. The stockyards area is pretty cool, including the longhorn cattle drive down Main Street, the old west store fronts, hotels, saloons, not to mention Billy Bob’s, the worlds largest honky tonk bar and indoor rodeo. Downtown area of Ft. Worth has a lot of hotel, dining and entertainment options, all walkable, and only 5 miles to the TCU campus and new Amon Carter stadium.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
I get the sense that it was about to be Arizona as team #14 and the B12 was going to stop there for now. The thinking was that UConn would still be there in 2 years when the pro-rata for the B12 kicks in and they can expand to 16 in 2025 with the automatic pro-rata contract increase instead of having to negotiate the contract increase for teams #15 and #16 now.

However, the FSU rumors that are out there may be a saving grace for UConn. If BY and the B12 are serious about building up basketball and the east coast--they may not be able to hold off for UConn in 2 years. If the FSU rumors of paying to get out of the ACC immediately, then there is a real threat of the ACC taking UConn to backfill the conference now. So the luxury that the B12 had of being able to wait for UConn in 2 years may not be there and if they truly want to get UConn, an elite basketball program, and their first true Eastern presence--they may lose out if they do not bring us in now.

Reaction Score
BINGO

Those calling for Dave to make public statements right now are fools. If Dave is making comments publicly that aren't accepting an invite, it's almost a guarantee the school isn't going anywhere.

This is NOT the time for a PR campaign from the school.
Unless, as is likely, nothing happens. And then the Boneyard will be wondering if he was on vacation and where.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Why does Arizona have to be 14? Why couldn’t we be announced as 14? Are the Arizonas too proud to take the 16th label? We coulda even been 13th if our spot was actually guaranteed…

Reaction Score

Yes, it is about money. But it's primarily -- overwhelmingly primarily -- about FOOTBALL MONEY.

Reaction Score
I get the sense that it was about to be Arizona as team #14 and the B12 was going to stop there for now. The thinking was that UConn would still be there in 2 years when the pro-rata for the B12 kicks in and they can expand to 16 in 2025 with the automatic pro-rata contract increase instead of having to negotiate the contract increase for teams #15 and #16 now.

However, the FSU rumors that are out there may be a saving grace for UConn. If BY and the B12 are serious about building up basketball and the east coast--they may not be able to hold off for UConn in 2 years. If the FSU rumors of paying to get out of the ACC immediately, then there is a real threat of the ACC taking UConn to backfill the conference now. So the luxury that the B12 had of being able to wait for UConn in 2 years may not be there and if they truly want to get UConn, an elite basketball program, and their first true Eastern presence--they may lose out if they do not bring us in now.
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Our theories for why this is going to work out become more and more attenuated. Aren't we at the point where just waiting to see would be just as comforting?

Last edited:

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Hmm. That last Dellenger tweet is kind of interesting. What about that supposed deadline?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yes, it is about money. But it's primarily -- overwhelmingly primarily -- about FOOTBALL MONEY.
Not arguing against that point.

It’s primarily football money because football is the current sport with the largest viewership.

If something else comes along more popular it will be about that sport. But the constant will still be money.

In Asia it’s about gaming. Europe and South America soccer.

In the U.S. there was a transition from baseball to football in the 1960s.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Unless, as is likely, nothing happens. And then the Boneyard will be wondering if he was on vacation and where.

Reasonable people can certainly disagree as to the extent Warde and Susans lack of action affected the Louisville/ACC decision, but having the AD sitting pina coladas court side at a freaking Women's basketball game while the future of our football program hung in the balance wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement towards our FBS ambitions.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
6 hours connecting flights and then 1 hour drive. Add 3 hours at the airport. That's 10 hours to get there.

That's my definition of not easy.
That's roughly the same amount of not easy to any non-drivable destination. The only "easy" trip for me in the Big East is Providence (admittedly much easier than UConn home games).

We aren't going to be in any league with lots of easy trips. So at least they are potentially fun trips. I'd rather go to big college towns than major cities.

Reaction Score
That's roughly the same amount of not easy to any non-drivable destination. The only "easy" trip for me in the Big East is Providence (admittedly much easier than UConn home games).

We aren't going to be in any league with lots of easy trips. So at least they are potentially fun trips. I'd rather go to big college towns than major cities.
I didn't say they shouldnt join the league. I was responding to post about fans traveling to away games. I'm not talking about the team.

BUT, Hartford to Raleigh Durham, Miami, Atlanta, Pittsburgh, maybe Charleston, it's direct, right? So fans could travel there more easily

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom