Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 487 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
I won't be too excited about it but I think we have to take it. I will worry some about the impact it has on men's basketball. We have the best men's basketball staff in the country at the moment so it shouldn't impact us too much and it will be nice not having to worry about how a lack of money will impact our athletic department/school down the road.

The fact that the Big 12 doesn't really have desirable Universities works in their favor in all of this and positions them very well as the third major conference. It still shocks me how unbelievably stupid the ACC is.
Here’s what I don’t get. All these basketball first fans think CT is some bastion for basketball going back to days of yore. They are confusing CT’s passion for winners and some century old tradition of basketball dominance.

UConn basketball as we know it started with Jim Calhoun. It started with the dream season. People started following. Not because basketball was some deep innate passion of nutmeg nation, but because UConn was WINNING! Calhoun kept winning, more people started following. Same with Geno, but even more success. Absolute dominance. And CT soaks it up.
Imagine if Calhoun took that job in SC. Does UConn have the 5 NC’s? Do we have Hurley now? CT is the Mecca for women’s hoops because of Geno.

This notion that CT can’t support football because we’re basketball is so shortsighted. Support UConn. We have a great coach who is making progress. He is saying all the right things. If he can get Uconn football to a winning culture, the state of CT will jump on, just like they do for basketball. They did back in the early days around 2005-2010.

We all saw how quickly fans left when uconn bb wasn’t good. Sure, we can blame it on the AAC. But the program was on a downward trend with no solution or off-ramp in sight. And the fans became disinterested. That is Uconn football the past decade. Left to rot in the world of non P5 status.

Just don’t see how anyone could think UConn’s best bet is to stay in Big East should Big 12 come calling.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The ACC is a sinking ship that doesn't seem to realize it's a sinking ship. You have everyone out for themselves (no surprise given what happened to the original Big East) and it seems like everyone thinks there are more seats left at musical chairs than there really are.

I have nothing to base this on- but my guess is that after this P12/B12 tug of war settles there will be two to three years of quiet and then we will get a grand announcement that a great bargain has been agreed upon with the ACC GOR terminating early freeing up four to six schools to leave and then the remnants merge with the PAC to make a two coast conf of about 14 to 16 schools. The SEC and B1G grow to perhaps 20 and the B12 and new PAC-ACC cement themselves as second tier. Not that it won’t be clear before this moment- but whatever quaking and shaking will be over and a new peace will settle in that will last perhaps a decade before things change again.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

These are the bits that stuck out:

There are other major projects that we haven’t announced yet where basketball is truly a catalyst not only to drive more awareness but also to create value and drive revenue for the conference.
———
Q: You were opportunistic on the media rights front when the moment came. If that same moment comes, say, this summer with a chance to add a school or two, do you strike quickly? If there’s an opportunity there this summer, do you do it?

YORMARK: “If the right situation presents itself, and it’s additive and fits within our guiding principles, it’s incumbent on me, given the directive from the Board, to explore it. And we’re not afraid to make quick decisions, as you can see. “

Reaction Score
I am gonna make a wild guess here that one of the things that the B12 wants from UConn is to play a lot of games in NYC. Manhattan or Brooklyn. NYC games. Even some football. That may be one of the things taking time to negotiate. Just a SWAG, FWIW.

Reaction Score
I have nothing to base this on- but my guess is that after this P12/B12 tug of war settles there will be two to three years of quiet and then we will get a grand announcement that a great bargain has been agreed upon with the ACC GOR terminating early freeing up four to six schools to leave and then the remnants merge with the PAC to make a two coast conf of about 14 to 16 schools. The SEC and B1G grow to perhaps 20 and the B12 and new PAC-ACC cement themselves as second tier. Not that it won’t be clear before this moment- but whatever quaking and shaking will be over and a new peace will settle in that will last perhaps a decade before things change again.

That's my view as well. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to learn that some of the ACC programs have informal agreements with the SEC and BiG on when to best address the GOR issue. The SEC and BiG will end up at 18-20 programs each and at that point they will completely control their own destiny.

Reaction Score
He got them an enormous TV deal after Texas and Oklahoma told them they're bouncing, they would be idiots not to listen to him.
He’s a forward thinker. That’s how to make money in the stock market. Those against UConn are focusing too much into the past.

Reaction Score
The dream scenario is that we are in the Big XII, the ACC implodes, Big XII goes to 18 to keep up with the SEC and B1G.

The east coast division becomes UConn, Cinci, UCF, WVU, Cuse, Pitt, Duke, Louisville, Virginia Tech

The west coast is Baylor, BYU, Houston, Iowa St, Kansas, K-State, Oklahoma St, TCU, TTU

It's basically the perfect conference for us and easily the third strongest conference.

Reaction Score
I am gonna make a wild guess here that one of the things that the B12 wants from UConn is to play a lot of games in NYC. Manhattan or Brooklyn. NYC games. Even some football. That may be one of the things taking time to negotiate. Just a SWAG, FWIW.
UConn will bring fans. Pretty sure BIG 12 BB won’t mind coming to UConn and recruiting the northeast.

Reaction Score

I am all in on games at MSG. Play Kansas there, thats a sellout With mostly UConn fans. Also, play a B12 vs PX challenge at MSG also. UConn/Baylor men/women double header would be nice at MSG.

For Football playing at Metlife will be a challenge. It seats 82K and I’m not sure UConn vs anyone would get over 50K. Maybe the best attendance might be against ND but still nowhere near capacity. Anyone remember The Cuse try?

The following paragraph came from an SBNation article in 2016.

Against USC in 2012, Syracuse put up a fight but never quite challenged in a 42-29 loss in front of 39,507. That’s an abysmal attendance number (MetLife holds 82,566), especially when some noted that it was more USC fans than Syracuse ones. Against Penn State in 2013, the Orange lost again but attendance was up to 61,202, thanks in large part to having a loyal and local Nittany Lions fanbase nearby. The 2014 game (another loss) against Notre Dame drew a crowd of 76,802, breaking the stadium’s college football attendance record, though again it was the “road team” who was credited with the boost. It was by then that MetLife had seen enough, realizing that unless Syracuse played Notre Dame every time, the financials just didn’t add up. Not to mention that SU didn’t seem capable of winning any of these games, thereby robbing them of any sense that national audiences needed to care.

Reaction Score
Can't say that here. Ask me how I know.

Reaction Score
Here’s what I don’t get. All these basketball first fans think CT is some bastion for basketball going back to days of yore. They are confusing CT’s passion for winners and some century old tradition of basketball dominance.

UConn basketball as we know it started with Jim Calhoun. It started with the dream season. People started following. Not because basketball was some deep innate passion of nutmeg nation, but because UConn was WINNING! Calhoun kept winning, more people started following. Same with Geno, but even more success. Absolute dominance. And CT soaks it up.
Imagine if Calhoun took that job in SC. Does UConn have the 5 NC’s? Do we have Hurley now? CT is the Mecca for women’s hoops because of Geno.

Unfortunately, I think many fans have this view of UConn basketball. UConn was a very strong regional program well before Jim Calhoun showed up and then Calhoun created a national program. There was lots of winning before Calhoun. Here are some facts:

Yankee Conference Champions: 1941, 1944, 1948, 1949, 1953 through 1960, 1963 through 1967, 1970.

NCAA Tournament bids pre-Calhoun: 1951, 1954, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1976, 1979

Sweet 16s pre-Calhoun: 1951, 1956, 1964, 1976

ECAC Tournament Champs: 1976, 1979

NIT bids pre-Calhoun: 1955, 1974, 1975, 1980, 1981, 1982

Best coaches pre-Calhoun:
1946-1963: Hugh Greer 287-113 0.718 winning %
1963-1967: Fred Shabel 72-29 0.713 winning %

As for fans, UConn used to draw well at the Hartford Civic Center before Calhoun showed up. What people forget is that the arenas where UConn plays have grown over the years showing the increase in the size of the fanbase.

Old Field House: 4,600, Gampel: 10,167

Old HCC: ~11,000, XL Center: 15,600

Reaction Score
In no way should we give up home games to join the B12 games. That's slapping your donors/season ticket holders in the face.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
In no way should we give up home games to join the B12 games. That's slapping your donors/season ticket holders in the face.
It’s not happening. More than likely we’ll play a non-conference game at MSG vs a name school and double header with another Big 12 school vs. another name school.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The dream scenario is that we are in the Big XII, the ACC implodes, Big XII goes to 18 to keep up with the SEC and B1G.

The east coast division becomes UConn, Cinci, UCF, WVU, Cuse, Pitt, Duke, Louisville, Virginia Tech

The west coast is Baylor, BYU, Houston, Iowa St, Kansas, K-State, Oklahoma St, TCU, TTU

It's basically the perfect conference for us and easily the third strongest conference.
Yep- sounds good- but my guess is that the P12 and ACC remnants will be drawn together by having like minded schools academically. During this period surely Yormark will again be looking to strike and take two or more schools.

Lots to play out- but I don’t see a way out for Cal and Stanford without an PAC-ACC merger if there are enough pieces remaining when the ACC finally has its meltdown.

Lots of time ahead

Reaction Score
Can't say that here. Ask me how I know.
This is an odd post of yours. I can speculate anything I want. I labelled it a wild ass guess. Pure speculation on my part. Why should I not say that?

Reaction Score
It’s not happening. More than likely we’ll play a non-conference game at MSG vs a name school and double header with another Big 12 school vs. another name school.
Possible. I do not think I specified which games. B12 wants a NYC presence, clearly. How, what and where UConn might help further towards that goal I would think would be naturally on the table. How much league financial support for that kind of endeavor, etc, etc. Wide open out of the box discussion I would think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom