Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 432 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
It’s happening.
Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Reaction Score
I think a lot of people would be angered by that.

While I am not surprised that there are quite a few, but still a minority, of people who want to stay in the BE despite a Px invite, a 40 Million +/- pay raise, and a 10 year Contract.

What does surprise me is the anger being displayed by some of the minority towards other yarders. It’s like a nasty divorce, lol. I love the BE, but we need to do this. Even the Golf team will get a major boost. I very much believe that Baseball could also get a lift and become a top 10 team regularly if we keep the staff. And keep in mind, with the extra money we will be able to pay up for every staff, pay travel costs, and still have money available.

Reaction Score
Thats at least 2 face to face meetings. Yormark was in Storrs and the possible meeting in NYC. I think the location is not coincidence. I would expect that quite a few virtual meetings and calls have also taken place.
Yes it seems the main thing that would keep Uconn out would be if unexpected schools want an invite right now to the big 12 such as Oregon and Washington. However, it appears they are waiting to hear from the big 10 first, so uconn is probably a top 2 priority and should get something finalized soon

Reaction Score
While I am not surprised that there are quite a few, but still a minority, of people who want to stay in the BE despite a Px invite, a 40 Million +/- pay raise, and a 10 year Contract.

What does surprise me is the anger being displayed by some of the minority towards other yarders. It’s like a nasty divorce, lol. I love the BE, but we need to do this. Even the Golf team will get a major boost. I very much believe that Baseball could also get a lift and become a top 10 team regularly if we keep the staff. And keep in mind, with the extra money we will be able to pay up for every staff, pay travel costs, and still have money available.
I echo the sentiment about anger toward other 'Yarders. I've read multiple posts on the thread in the hoops forum. It's incredible that supposed UConn basketball fans can post such vile crap just because they want to protect playing the riff raff that's left of the Old Big East.
People, look at the history of UConn athletics. If the change to the Big XII occurs, UConn will have been thrown a life preserver for the 2nd time. The first was when UMass abandoned the YanCon to join the Eastern 8 (predecessor of the Atlantic 10). If the Huskies hadn't been rescued by the inception of the OBE, the athletic department could have faded into oblivion. Instead, UConn was raised to national prominence and survived. An offer to join the XII will give the athletic department financial stability & raise the profile of its sports teams. It will solidify Storrs, CT. as the college sports capital of the Northeast & make it easier to fund renovations of the University's multiple sports venues (RENT, Gampel, XL), It's a WIN.

Reaction Score
I think my biggest concern with the move is the travel. Recall how disastrous our record in Texas was in the AAC even in the semi-decent years. Now add that our closest conference rival (WVU) would be even further than our closest conference rival in the AAC (Temple iirc)

Reaction Score
I think my biggest concern with the move is the travel. Recall how disastrous our record in Texas was in the AAC even in the semi-decent years. Now add that our closest conference rival (WVU) would be even further than our closest conference rival in the AAC (Temple iirc)
To be fair we tend to have bad records away, even in down years in men's bball, regardless of the distance.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Here's my take on the deal: there have been multiple conversations between UConn and the Big 12. UConn isn't talking so that means things are moving along. The Big 12 isn't really talking so that means there are things going on. In CR, a school has already said yes before the public offer.

The Big East won't raise the exit fee to affect UConn because we signed onto an agreement that was tilted toward the Big East if this occurred. The Big East and UConn made the exit fee bigger in case this occurred so consider the buy out with a premium if the stars aligned properly.

There will be no anger from the conference since we are a public land grand and the rest of the conference are small Catholic institutions. They know football drives the bus. UConn won't burn the bridge with the rest of the Big East and sports not sponsored by the Big 12 will remain in the Big East. Presidents look at things differently than Athletic Directors and coaches.

If UConn gets the invite, then we have to take it. I don't believe for half a second the Big 12 will say anything about the Rent. The infrastructure was built (heck, we are now drilling down to Women's volleyball facilities) so guess what, the infrastructure is already there.

Reaction Score
Here's my take on the deal: there have been multiple conversations between UConn and the Big 12. UConn isn't talking so that means things are moving along. The Big 12 isn't really talking so that means there are things going on. In CR, a school has already said yes before the public offer.

The Big East won't raise the exit fee to affect UConn because we signed onto an agreement that was tilted toward the Big East if this occurred. The Big East and UConn made the exit fee bigger in case this occurred so consider the buy out with a premium if the stars aligned properly.

There will be no anger from the conference since we are a public land grand and the rest of the conference are small Catholic institutions. They know football drives the bus. UConn won't burn the bridge with the rest of the Big East and sports not sponsored by the Big 12 will remain in the Big East. Presidents look at things differently than Athletic Directors and coaches.

If UConn gets the invite, then we have to take it. I don't believe for half a second the Big 12 will say anything about the Rent. The infrastructure was built (heck, we are now drilling down to Women's volleyball facilities) so guess what, the infrastructure is already there.
Plus we brought the Big East a championship and we will continue to play them.

Reaction Score
Plus it could be more than just Uconn. He has shown interest in basketball and NY. He could be selling Villanova, St. John’s and Georgetown on joining with UConn already set to join and offering them say 10 million a year. With promises of big12 at MSG every other year.

Reaction Score
Plus it could be more than just Uconn. He has shown interest in basketball and NY. He could be selling Villanova, St. John’s and Georgetown on joining with UConn already set to join and offering them say 10 million a year. With promises of big12 at MSG every other year.
I think that is why the BE is talking about increasing the exit fee. Increasing the exit fee is not for us; they already took that probability into account when they wrote the contract for us to join and made it $30 million. The talk of increasing exit fees is for other schools.

Reaction Score
Travel wasn't the problem - coaching and players were. Travel goes both ways and we'll be as tough on our home courts/fields as it will be on the road.

Reaction Score

How many Natty’s have we won in Texas? The men have 4, the women have 2. It’s the coaching and recruiting, not the travel, but that’s just my opinion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Travel wasn't the problem - coaching and players were. Travel goes both ways and we'll be as tough on our home courts/fields as it will be on the road.

In theory those 9pm start times in Texas and Oklahoma are offset by the noon eastern time (11:00am central time) in CT.

Reaction Score
How many Natty’s have we won in Texas? The men have 4, the women have 2. It’s the coaching and recruiting, not the travel, but that’s just my opinion.
Exactly. Traveling got nothing to do with why we did poorly in the past. We had some bad coaches, and bad coaches have poor records whether home or away.

We got good coaches now, and we will win in the Big 12 football and basketball.

If the B12 made an offer, we should take it asap. If not, it will be one of the worst decisions in UConn history.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Traveling got nothing to do with why we did poorly in the past. We had some bad coaches, and bad coaches have poor records whether home or away.

If the B12 made an offer, we should take it asap. If not, it will be one of the worst decisions in UConn history.
I agree totally.
This (Big 12) or something will happen soon, and the biggest reason is DB. He has made some of the best hires in the schools athletic history without the benefit of huge payouts. Any conference would be foolish not to realize the potential of UCONN given $30m+.
As Hurley said, better get us while you can.

Reaction Score

Oh we're taking it. DB hasn't put in all this work just to at the last minute say "nah never mind."

Reaction Score
To be fair we tend to have bad records away, even in down years in men's bball, regardless of the distance.

We had the best basketball team in the country and struggled in conference on the road this year. We also lost two bus ride road games (Prov/Seton Hall), so apparently distance traveled is meaningless.

The traveling thing is so overblown, all of the conferences are going national because it helps their TV deal. The same people who knock the B12 because of travel hate the idea of adding UMASS and probably would be thrilled to see Gonzaga join the Big East.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I think that is why the BE is talking about increasing the exit fee. Increasing the exit fee is not for us; they already took that probability into account when they wrote the contract for us to join and made it $30 million. The talk of increasing exit fees is for other schools.
Reading this leads me to some idle speculation: Maybe Ed Cooley knew a Big East split was coming and got on a life raft?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom