Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 343 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Where are there rumors of ND joining the ACC? Are these rumors coming from a basement in WV?
No those rumors our that West Virginia is deciding between offers to the Big Ten in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Hmmm just as rumors of Notre Dame joining the conference surface? Interesting.
ND already gets a full, equal share of ACC Network profits, the same amount as the other 14 schools.

It doesn't have to join for football to get this money.

CL82

Reaction Score
ND already gets a full, equal share of ACC Network profits, the same amount as the other 14 schools.

It doesn't have to join for football to get this money.
I believe they get a partial share:

6E841D3B-9A66-4B77-B1E1-F420F7B02706.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Notre Dame receives 20% of one full share of the ACC's guaranteed rights fees. This is the bulk of the money that the conference distributes. The ACC and Notre Dame agreed to this split because about 80% of conference revenue comes from football.

Notre Dame does receive a full share of ACC Network money. This nets a couple to a few million extra for Notre Dame while the other 14 members receive a few hundred thousand less (than if the Irish received 20% of this too).

In sum, Notre Dame receives about 25% of what other members are paid by the conference.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Notre Dame receives 20% of one full share of the ACC's guaranteed rights fees. This is the bulk of the money that the conference distributes. The ACC and Notre Dame agreed to this split because about 80% of conference revenue comes from football.

Notre Dame does receive a full share of ACC Network money. This nets a couple to a few million extra for Notre Dame while the other 14 members receive a few hundred thousand less (than if the Irish received 20% of this too).

In sum, Notre Dame receives about 25% of what other members are paid by the conference.
That is not how math works, unless you think ND basketball is worth $0.

Reaction Score
That is not how math works, unless you think ND basketball is worth $0.
My comments aren't what I think. They are relaying what I read back in the day. About 25% of a full member's overall distribution share was a commonly cited estimate. (See old articles from David Teel and other ACC beat writers.)

I just looked up reporting on the the latest actual financials. Notre Dame actually did better than 25% in the most recently reported year (FY 2019-20). The 14 ACC full members received an average of $32.3 million (that includes ACC Network money). Notre Dame received $10.8 million from the conference (including ACC Network money).

10.8 divided by 32.3 = 33%

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
My comments aren't what I think. They are relaying what I read back in the day. About 25% of a full member's overall distribution share was a commonly cited estimate. (See old articles from David Teel and other ACC beat writers.)

I just looked up reporting on the the latest actual financials. Notre Dame actually did better than 25% in the most recently reported year (FY 2019-20). The 14 ACC full members received an average of $32.3 million (that includes ACC Network money). Notre Dame received $10.8 million from the conference (including ACC Network money).

The main takeaway is, as I noted, in the the opening portion ("Absent Notre Dame, there might not well be an ACC Network. Its name was a driving force in ESPN exploring the project, a development that quickly led to the conference's 2013 grant of media rights, which bound members to the league through 2027") and closing portion ("Trust me, having the Irish in the league, and locked in by a grant of media rights through 2035-36, is worth a heck of a lot more to their ACC colleagues than $460,000 apiece, let alone $290,000"). The stupid hypothetical math exercise is irrelevant as the premise of the article is that ND, at a minimum, is carrying its weight and nobody is giving them anything.

Reaction Score
The main takeaway is, as I noted, in the the opening portion ("Absent Notre Dame, there might not well be an ACC Network. Its name was a driving force in ESPN exploring the project, a development that quickly led to the conference's 2013 grant of media rights, which bound members to the league through 2027") and closing portion ("Trust me, having the Irish in the league, and locked in by a grant of media rights through 2035-36, is worth a heck of a lot more to their ACC colleagues than $460,000 apiece, let alone $290,000"). The stupid hypothetical math exercise is irrelevant as the premise of the article is that ND, at a minimum, is carrying its weight and nobody is giving them anything.
I believe Notre Dame brings far more money/value into the ACC than they extract from it. So if that's your point, we agree. But that has little to do with my previous posts, which discussed the mechanics of how money is divided and distributed.

Several reporters (not just David Teel) cited an estimate of about 25% as Notre Dame expected portion of a typical share after the launch of ACCN. The percentage of the average full share that Notre Dame actually received during the last reported fiscal year (year one of ACCN) was 33%.

CL82

Reaction Score

From the first article you cited:

The conference distributed $373,162,899 to its 15 schools, about 55 percent of which came from television rights fees. So Notre Dame received $6.2 million, less than one-fourth of the $26.21 million the league's other members pocketed, on average.

From the second article
278981A2-A12F-4621-98CB-7BFAAF41853F.jpeg

I suspect that 10.8 million distribution includes both their share of ACC media money in college playoff money. Go back and take a look at the quote from the article I posted

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whoops...ever since I was a 12 year old in Pensacola, I've wanted pro teams in the southeast...the nearest were St. Louis and DC...So we cheered for Bama, Auburn, etc.

Fans of the NFL proliferate in the northern tier...now I can cheer for college pro teams..

Reaction Score

It's a shame but when you watch teams like Alabaman that is really what they haves become, minor league pro teams. It's hypocritical to think they are all purely student athletes. Slap the Alabama brand on a semi-pro team and take it out of the NCAA while we're at it.

Reaction Score
If the BiG is in favor, how does this not pass? Only objection would be from SEC.
Because the Big 12, SEC, and Group of 5 want the top 6 rated champs regardless of conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom