Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 300 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Power Lunch Chat: Columnist Berry Tramel
Power Lunch Chat: Columnist Berry Tramel

Pete McPeat
What becomes of Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech and TCU if OU leaves the Big XII? Some say we don't owe them anything but Iowa State and Kansas State have been foes and allies for many many years.

Berry Tramel
I'm with you. I actually think Kansas State and Kansas and Texas Tech will find safe havens. But TCU and Baylor I'm not as sure about. And I am horrified for Iowa State. The Cyclones could be totally left out. It would be a crying shame if Washington State and Rutgers and Wake Forest are in Power 5 conferences and Iowa State is not. That would be a crime.

Tony
Berry - the big 12 is hurting ou in recruiting plain and simple. Why would a 5 star want to play in this league? He'll regress and get lit up in the NFL. To be ready he needs to be in the SEC. Thanks Boren. Get us to the SEC. Legacy tarnished if you don't.

Berry Tramel
The Big 12 is hurting OU in recruiting, no doubt. That's why OU has to make a decision. Is that problem rectifiable? Or is it beyond help? I think that question is not answerable right now. That's why I believe the Sooners are playing the waiting game. They would prefer to stay in the Big 12, for a variety of good reasons. But it might not be possible.

SoonerBornDFW
Hi Berry. Just wondering if you had any information about this Big 12 Presidents meeting on the 17th. Are they still meeting to discuss adding teams? It sounds like that whole idea has lost steam if not fallen through completely. Thanks!

Berry Tramel
I don't think they're going to make any expansion decisions, but they could make some championship game decisions. It's all a good question. I probably need to get down there for that.

TheDrake
I still think your full merger idea (with the PAC) is the best idea. Big money for a superconference and no teams get left out. Plus Fox already had deals to show Big 12 and Pac content anyway.

Berry Tramel
I think it would work. You might be able to pull it off even with the Longhorn Network, but you definitely could make it go without the Longhorn Network. You might shift Colorado back this way, I don't know. Or you could remain two conferences, perhaps have a scheduling alliance and just be a TV entity. As you mentioned, in some ways, that's already happening.

Steve
Barry, what would your educated guess be on where the Big 12 teams will be in 10 years

Berry Tramel
Oh, I would probably say Kansas and Texas to the Big Ten. OU, OSU, Tech and TCU to the Pac-12. Kansas State and West Virginia to the SEC. Baylor probably nowhere and Iowa State probably nowhere but maybe to the ACC.
Do people really think isu would get to ACC before UConn?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
B12 writers have a generous view of the conference schools and their value on the open market. Unless TBoone wills all of his $ to OK State when he dies next year, it has the same prospects as Iowa st., Kansas St., etc. Tiny markets, sporadic national success, and being number 2 school in the state.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
are you in reality or on drugs. if the big 12 expands without us were gonna have to invite teams
Not necessarily. If we lose 2, we're not expanding, and GSU will never sniff the AAC.

Reaction Score
Didn't the bloom come off the Houston and Cincinnati rose this weekend? Houston possible claim to fame, crashing the playoff, went up in smoke and they will lose their coach in the off season.. Cincinnati football is clearly on the downswing under Tubberville. I mean, they lost to us for christ sakes. That's not even mentioning their obvious negatives (Houston being in Texas, Cincinnati being 2nd fiddle in their own state and region to Ohio State, Kentucky, Louisville.)

I will never understand why this was not a clear cut decision to go to 12 with BYU and UConn. By far the best brands. Big 12 is clearly run by morons.

Reaction Score
If that happens, and we all know it could, uconn should sue every freakin school in the P5. Scorched earth plan at that point.

Have you gone the way of the dude? You're asking and answering your own questions.

You wouldn't be the first to crack under the pressure of CR. ;)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Oh....just let them form an all Texas conference since it's all one big disfunctional family anyway. ;)

Been there, done that. It was called the Southwest Conference. I think it was formed in the early 1900's and lasted until 1994.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
B12 writers have a generous view of the conference schools and their value on the open market. Unless TBoone wills all of his $ to OK State when he dies next year, it has the same prospects as Iowa st., Kansas St., etc. Tiny markets, sporadic national success, and being number 2 school in the state.

How about the idea that on Monday Oklahoma and Texas will announce they are leaving the conference.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
How about the idea that on Monday Oklahoma and Texas will announce they are leaving the conference.
Are you seeing that anywhere? Other than Flug's "arrangement"?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you seeing that anywhere? Other than Flug's "arrangement"?

The Dallas Morning News prediction article. These are people paid to write about the subject. It's insanity.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Jez, look at the list of the "Bottom 10". You'd think the Catholics and the Mormons would finally realize that sex by consenting adults does happen frequently outside of marriage (e.g. in college) and the Immaculate Conception was a "one off" deal.

Just because the schools don't provide them, doesn't mean they aren't available. It's pretty silly really to think that condoms are hard to get. UConn didn't hand them out when I attended.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Do people really think isu would get to ACC before UConn?

Nope, Barry Tramel is either out of his mind or trying to avoid trashing his conference as memories are long and writing jobs scarce. There is no way anyone other than UT, OU have seats elsewhere and KS maybe. The rest are screwed. The curious question remains, why is OU pushing so hard to hold this conference together? There is a big difference between having friendly conversations about joining another conference and a firm offer.

Reaction Score
OU knows it is easier to get into the playoff from the B12 than joining the SEC and competing with the whole SEC West, FL, TN, South Carolina or the B1G and deal with OSU/Mich/Rutty, etc.

Nope, Barry Tramel is either out of his mind or trying to avoid trashing his conference as memories are long and writing jobs scarce. There is no way anyone other than UT, OU have seats elsewhere and KS maybe. The rest are screwed. The curious question remains, why is OU pushing so hard to hold this conference together? There is a big difference between having friendly conversations about joining another conference and a firm offer.

Reaction Score
I can agree with that. history suggests that KU was left by the wayside only a few years ago.
can't imagine that suddenly they have suitors...

I don't see a conference with Uconn and Kansas as a bad thing, especially with respect to BB.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Just because the schools don't provide them, doesn't mean they aren't available. It's pretty silly really to think that condoms are hard to get. UConn didn't hand them out when I attended.
Depends on where you are. Trojans are probably available at the corner store, but maybe not on a Greater Boston, Providence, or Manhattan campus.

Then again, in a place like Provo? IIRC pre-marital whoopie is against BYU's Honor Code. You can't drink caffeinated coffee on campus without risk of being ratted out, you really think genital prophylactics are readily available? A group of friends and I took a cross country trip after graduation. I realized that Utah is a different world the moment my feet hit the Salt Lake City sidewalk.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
OU knows it is easier to get into the playoff from the B12 than joining the SEC and competing with the whole SEC West, FL, TN, South Carolina or the B1G and deal with OSU/Mich/Rutty, etc.

Yes, true, but man sticking around with the UT gorilla and the six minions has its risks too....suicidal implosion.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I can agree with that. history suggests that KU was left by the wayside only a few years ago.
can't imagine that suddenly they have suitors...

I don't see a conference with Uconn and Kansas as a bad thing, especially with respect to BB.

Kansas may have options, the rest dont no matter what the fantasy press wants to say. The raw marginal economic add each new school needs to bring to the P4 to not dilute the conf revenues makes it damn near impossible to add any school at this point except for schools in Texas or FL.

I think we could be an exception to that POV if you view our access to the Northeast as something special...whether its the B12 wanting to have a toe hold up here in the biggest media market or its the ACC looking to secure NYC or the B1G looking to secure NYC. The college sports media metrics/market access/media access/marketing access to NY makes judging our candidacy a little different.

Reaction Score
The Dallas Morning News prediction article. These are people paid to write about the subject. It's insanity.

They are people paid to get people to read what they write about a subject.

Reaction Score

It is also likely that both OU and UT like their status within the Big-12 whereas in any other conference, they would not be the alpha males. I'm not even sure if OU is an alpha male in the Big-12, but at least the perception is there in the Big-12.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It is also likely that both OU and UT like their status within the Big-12 whereas in any other conference, they would not be the alpha males. I'm not even sure if OU is an alpha male in the Big-12, but at least the perception is there in the Big-12.

This and/or the lack of a concrete back up plan are the only two reasons that make any sense here. The trick for OU is jumping off the B12 seconds before the implosion. I would judge implosion as the moment either UT walks and/or when the B12 is staring at a new tv/media contract in 2024 that places it a distant 5th to the SEC, B1G, PAC and maybe even the ACC.

Reaction Score
Dodd: Big 12 expansion: Decision may be delayed as many have 'no idea' what will happen

>>Multiple sources told CBS Sports that putting off an expansion decision has emerged as a possible option. The league's presidents meet Sunday and Monday in Dallas. Among other items on the agenda is a discussion on expansion but not necessarily a resolution.

In the rabid speculation that has raged since July, delaying a decision has hardly been mentioned. But one source said, if it goes that way, a resolution on expansion may not come until at least after Christmas.

Another said there would be no surprise Monday "if this is not going to have a lid put on it yet."<<

upload_2016-10-14_15-56-11.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom