Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 279 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The problem is they may not be able to do that. I don't know much about recruiting, but Geno Auriemma made a phone call to a 13 year old 8th grade Little League baseball pitcher and got a slap on the wrist because she was too close to being a high school student. Who's to say that a football prospect is not among those receiving tickets? Even if they were honors middle schoolers, in smacks of toeing the line of a violation for an overseeing body already with an itchy trigger finger toward UConn.
As long as it's offerred to non-prospects as well, it's fine.

Reaction Score
I just checked our golf sched. They play a ten event season. Host one event in Ellington, otherwise it's all on the road. They play in NY, Nebraska, Florida twice, twice more in CT (once hosted by UHart and once by Yale) and a couple other places that aren't CT. Methinks it's not a big deal to be in the Big XII for golf.
People who talk about geography being an issue dont seem to actually look at the schedules of the non-revenue sports, a bunch of which arent round robin sports, and the only time you really see conference mates is the conference championship,

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
All these dopes have to do is look at the schedules for these sports to realize it is a non-issue, but their brain-dead thought process won't allow them to bother to click on a webpage. Baseball is the only sport other than Basketball that might require yearly travel. Soccer would but they don't have it. Indefensible.

Not to mention baseball teams at the level of the Big 12 and UConn already play a national schedule. The idea that somehow adding one game a year in CT is going to bankrupt a Big 12 program that's already playing dozens of games all over the country is absurd.

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry‏@MattSchonvisky
President Herbst & the #UConn contingent who made the trip to Dallas will be presenting directly to Commissioner Bob Bowlsby #Big12Expansion

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 4m4 minutes ago
Have heard that Bowlsby & potentially expansion committee will be in the room, no other school Presidents which fits the narrative from July

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 3m3 minutes ago
After presentations conclude, committee & Bowlsby will present candidates that fit criteria to be voted on to the board #Big12Expansion

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 1m1 minute ago
And the board of course consists of all Big 12 school presidents #Big12Expansion

Reaction Score
ThisIsUConnCountry‏@MattSchonvisky
President Herbst & the #UConn contingent who made the trip to Dallas will be presenting directly to Commissioner Bob Bowlsby #Big12Expansion

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 4m4 minutes ago
Have heard that Bowlsby & potentially expansion committee will be in the room, no other school Presidents which fits the narrative from July

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 3m3 minutes ago
After presentations conclude, committee & Bowlsby will present candidates that fit criteria to be voted on to the board #Big12Expansion

ThisIsUConnCountry ‏@MattSchonvisky 1m1 minute ago
And the board of course consists of all Big 12 school presidents #Big12Expansion
I think this thing has a looong way to go. The committee is going to present the presidents with any school that meets the criteria. It will probably be all of the assumed schools including UConn, UC, Houston, BYU, CSU, UCF/USF. Maybe even a few of the "really?" schools like SMU and Rice. They'll then argue over those schools until they get a consensus so they can vote unanimously. If Texas isn't in the room, these presentations are just fluff.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think this thing has a looong way to go. The committee is going to present the presidents with any school that meets the criteria. It will probably be all of the assumed schools including UConn, UC, Houston, BYU, CSU, UCF/USF. Maybe even a few of the "really?" schools like SMU and Rice. They'll then argue over those schools until they get a consensus so they can vote unanimously. If Texas isn't in the room, these presentations are just fluff.
Why do people constantly reference "UCF/USF," as if they are the same program, joined at the hip, or somehow a package deal? They have only been in the same conference since 2013.

Reaction Score
Why do people constantly reference "UCF/USF," as if they are the same program, jointed at the hip, or somehow a package deal? They have only been in the same conference since 2013.
I think the idea is if they want a chance of taking any meaningful share of the Florida football market, they can't do it with either UCF or USF. Would need both.

Personally I welcome that line of thinking, because UCF could be a threat, but if they're saddled with USF as a perceived "package deal" they become much less attractive.

Reaction Score
Why do people constantly reference "UCF/USF," as if they are the same program, joined at the hip, or somehow a package deal? They have only been in the same conference since 2013.
I do it because they may as well use the same presentation and just tweak the demographic numbers of the school and Orlando / Tampa. I don't think they are joined at the him or are a package. It's pretty hard to distinguish their strengths and weaknesses (although I'm sure their students/alums would disagree with my analysis).

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Interesting. So the function of this presentation is to cull those schools that don't meet a baseline? That's good.

Somehow, I can't help but think that the baseline will be moved such that we are on the wrong side of it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
i guess? but...

HOW ARE WE ONLY AT THIS POINT?
In my opinion, it's either because the B12 is looking for ESPN and Fox to pay them off not to expand or because they are an incredibly disfunctional conference. Perhaps both.

Reaction Score
The Turner article has made its way to the Big 12 forums and doesn't exactly make folks excited for you all. If you actually read the article, it's not that bad - his summary is he doesn't think the Big 12 will take anybody, not that UConn isn't as or more qualified that anybody else. But all people are going to see is "Even the former UConn AD doesn't believe his old school can make the grade!!!" Believe me, that's all anybody in Big 12 land will see.

While Big 12 presidents aren't going to be swayed by random article...it's kind of odd that your local paper would put out essentially a negatively titled piece against the best interests of the university at this time that, in this environment, would be sure to get picked up and re-tweeted and posted to death right as UConn is about to make their final push.

Altavilla is a rank embarrassment to the news reporter corp. He uses a source, who claims to like UConn, but trashes it with 26 year old information.
It's like asking Dom Perno about UConn BB.

Did Altavilla ask Turner if he had been to UConn lately?

Has Turner seen the growth and improvement that has occurred? When was the last time Turner was on campus?

Re: travel - did Altavilla ask Turner if the I-291 connector made travel to UConn from our airport easier? Turner left UConn before I-291 was even opened.

Did Altavilla check on Turner's job experience and reviews since he left UConn and find out that he was reviled at NC State? Turner has had a checkered and controversial past with his job history in general.

Nobody seems to have thought much of him as an AD, so now he's a consultant. We all know what that means - no one wants to hire you full time.

I love people who say they're rooting for you and then MF you at every turn.

(Oh and BTW - who was Turner close to? Mark Emmert, who hired him at Washington.)

Reaction Score
image.png

Don't know if this is key enough to be in the Top Shelf tweets but here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably not a deciding factor, but evidence that there's potential unrest that would occur if BYU is selected. Could possibly lead to not enough votes. Don't know exactly how to interpret that impacting our chances, but my gut says it wouldn't be good as it makes the four-team expansion less likely, and that's undoubtedly our best shot at getting in.

Reaction Score
Probably not a deciding factor, but evidence that there's potential unrest that would occur if BYU is selected. Could possibly lead to not enough votes. Don't know exactly how to interpret that impacting our chances, but my gut says it wouldn't be good as it makes the four-team expansion less likely, and that's undoubtedly our best shot at getting in.
east baby!!! uconn, UH, cincy, and USF...

Reaction Score
Don't sleep on CSU and Air Force. If the Big 12 thought it was fine to go west to Utah - then Colorado makes even more sense. It's contiguous, there's a lot of Big 12 alumni there and it's a populous and one of the fastest growing states in the nation.

I used to be more bullish on CSU - state land grant school that is rapidly growing, 30,000+ enrollment, excellent R&D metrics for the presidents and beautiful new stadium on the way. But I'm warming up to the AFA too. They support their football team, have a national fan base to draw from, are ranked 55th in the Leerfield Cup (UConn is 57...BYU is 30, those are the top 3 among candidate schools) and would add pomp and prestige and great academics out the wazoo.

If you ask me whom I'd rather the University of Kansas share a conference with - Central Florida or the United State Air Force Academy...it is a complete no-brainer.

Speaking as a Big 8/12 fan, I'd WAY rather have one of the Colorado schools than one of the Florida schools although I understand if most of you disagree.

Reaction Score
I'd have to disagree with the "we need BYU for 4" theory. By most reports it seems that 2 is more likely than 4. I think eliminating BYU and having the discussion between UH/UC/UConn is a more favorable scenario. In that sense, we have to just not finish last. I guess UCF has a shot but I'm not on that bandwagon.

Reaction Score
I'd have to disagree with the "we need BYU for 4" theory. By most reports it seems that 2 is more likely than 4. I think eliminating BYU and having the discussion between UH/UC/UConn is a more favorable scenario. In that sense, we have to just not finish last. I guess UCF has a shot but I'm not on that bandwagon.
If the choices are going two or going zero, then yes of course BYU being out helps. But BYU being in still means that four is on the table and a plausible compromise between the faction who would want UH included and the faction who would want BYU included.

Reaction Score
How's this for an omen. I just spoke to a new business colleague in Dallas and his name is Tom Myers. We're in folks. Done deal. :D

Reaction Score
I don't often agree w/ GS and he's definitely not a Key tweet but...

GREG @GSw a i m 2 mins ago
Saw one writer say #Big12 will add #BYU,#UConn for football only. Taking Huskies for football is like dating Brooklyn Decker for her mind!!

Actually, what if the Big 12 wanted to do that, and create a scheduling alliance with UConn for M+W basketball? That would create a strong out-of-conference scheduling boost for both parties, without necessitating UConn involvement with the non-revenue sports (unless they want to schedule some of those as well).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom