Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 276 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
angry-baby.jpg

Reaction Score
With Jacobs backing up Blauds info that Uconn is meeting with B12 Thursday, it appears that Blauds does have a source. Hopefully he is also correct that Uconn is one of 3 with a real shot
Blauds has a had a source within UConn for awhile now. Off the top of my head he was the first to report that UConn and BC were working on getting the football game back on along the UMass threesome. I'm forgetting quite a few other stories he's led on over our local guys (Did he have the Benedict announcement first too?).
Anyone I seem to remember he's broken a good 4-5 UConn stories over the past year or so.

Reaction Score
Blauds has a had a source within UConn for awhile now. Off the top of my head he was the first to report that UConn and BC were working on getting the football game back on along the UMass threesome. I'm forgetting quite a few other stories he's led on over our local guys (Did he have the Benedict announcement first too?).
Anyone I seem to remember he's broken a good 4-5 UConn stories over the past year or so.
He also has had numerous sources within BC up to and including DeFilippo himself when he was there. Most of his BC info at the time he wrote for the Globe came straight from Flipper's mouth.

Reaction Score
He also has had numerous sources within BC up to and including DeFilippo himself when he was there. Most of his BC info at the time he wrote for the Globe came straight from Flipper's mouth.
That's where Blauds got his Warde Manuel to Michigan scoop....Flipper was lead on that for the search firm hired by Michigan.

Reaction Score
That's where Blauds got his Warde Manuel to Michigan scoop....Flipper was lead on that for the search firm hired by Michigan.

Thus far, I think that worked out well for us. Very happy with Benedict. Thanks Flipper.

Reaction Score
Thus far, I think that worked out well for us. Very happy with Benedict. Thanks Flipper.
Make sure you send your thank you'd to Earde's teammate at UM..Jim Harbaugh and a majority of their former football alumni who are influential boosters. Flipper didn't do anything but interview candidates and run his mouth to his boy!

Reaction Score

Fox isn't going to say no to UConn going into the New Big East, thanks to the pathetic performance of the New Big East teams. They want the money. So they only bar between UConn and the New Big East is whether UConn can get a better deal elsewhere, or if they decide they want to slum it with fan-less Catholic schools that never win anything (except Nova, they're legit).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fox isn't going to say no to UConn going into the New Big East, thanks to the pathetic performance of the New Big East teams. They want the money. So they only bar between UConn and the New Big East is whether UConn can get a better deal elsewhere, or if they decide they want to slum it with fan-less Catholic schools that never win anything (except Nova, they're legit).
You know I feel good for Nova and Wright. They've been decent for a while now. But I kind of dislike having to add that parenthetical to bashing the C7 and friends (aka the lil' East). Agree Nova's legit and GTown has history. The rest? Meh.

Reaction Score
Stewie Mandel's Mailbag:

>>Does Houston’s upset over Oklahoma enhance its chances to get invited to the Big 12, hurt its chances or have no bearing whatsoever? -- Erik Wingate, Los Angeles

I recently spoke at length with someone very knowledgeable about the dynamics within the Big 12 who gave me this valuable piece of advice regarding Big 12 expansion: Stop trying to apply logic to decisions that will ultimately be made primarily on the basis of hubris, arrogance and greed. Which pretty much sums up all of conference realignment.

Notwithstanding the fact OU president/expansion advocate David Boren was there to witness it, I have a hard time believing one football game will swing Houston’s chances. As we know, there are many more factors at play here than football success. Otherwise Boise State would be one of the reported 11 schools that made the Big 12’s first cut while Tulane and SMU would not. But more to the point, those presidents that already backed Houston don’t need to be convinced of its long-term potential, and those leery of the Cougars essentially becoming too good did not need them to beat Oklahoma to confirm those fears.

What it does do is this: Should the conference actually expand – I currently put it at 60-40, but I know others are even more skeptical – then either it has to include Houston or look like a bunch of cowards if they don’t. The Big 12 is going to get its TV money no matter who it adds, but the only way expansion adds any value beyond that is if it tangibly improves the conference’s football standing. Of all the contenders, Houston is quite clearly best positioned to do that.<<

Reaction Score
Simply stating the obvious. UConn's case has little to to do with recent(immediate) on field success and more to do with the metrics that actually matter. This again is why sports "journalists" dismiss UConn and tv execs argue expansion starts with UConn. There is no chance that UConn will be invited if the Big12 makes judgement off of last week's performance, last year's football attendence, 3 year record, etc. etc. etc. We know that. Presidents know that. Executives know that.

Reaction Score
Stupid article. Using Tramel's nonsense Mississippi State shouldn't be in the SEC, Washington State shouldn't be in the Pac 12 and Iowa State shouldn't be in the Big 12 (10) because they all lost to FCS teams. Apparently if you don't win by 30 your program just sucks forever. That's what it's all about Barry--one FB game you didn't lose and to hell with everything else. Let's hope the presidents are more enlightened, though they could be attracted by the shiny bauble just like Barry.

Reaction Score
Most of his BC info at the time he wrote for the Globe came straight from Flipper's mouth.

In a public setting, where all the other reporters from the Boston Globe, Herald, TV, radio stations got the similar public remarks from GD. Blauds never got anything of a scoop from anyone at BC. They all mistrusted the guy, as he was a lapdog and mouthpiece for Mike Tranghese of the BE. Blauds was canned at the Globe for a reason. He makes schitt up.. schitt that ulitmately might turn out accurately because even a squirrel gets a lucky with an acorn that falls around it every once in awhile.

Reaction Score
Weird, it's almost as if reporters are willing to write ANY story with an expansion angle thrown in there. It's almost as if expansion articles drive web traffic.

With every football win or lose of all schools mention, these reporters are making up and down polls. The Big 12 truly screwed this process. Should have all been behind closed doors and just made the announcement. Comparing UCONN that played Maine on Thursday Night in attendance as well as game outcome to BYU playing Arizona or Houston playing home against Oklahoma on Saturday is just silly.

If UCONN was playing Oklahoma last saturday at home (UH game was not on campus, but still in Houston -Texans Reliant Stadium), they would have to bring in more seating like Michigan game. The boys would have probably lost, but would have played up out of the gate as well as the crowd too.

Reaction Score
Which Big 12 candidate had the most successful Freshman Orientation?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
All things being equal, UConn to any of the Big Ten, ACC, or Big XII makes too much sense. Not because of football, but for the potential of football plus all the exposure to an untapped market brought by basketball and other Olympic sports. There some basement level bloggers and experts alike who poo-poo the NYC DMA when it comes to collegiate athletics. Yes, the majority of New York is a pro audience, but who really cares if they watch as long as the channel is offered on a normal tier and generates a reasonable fee. New Yorkers will, by and large, not even notice their bill went up.

Secondly, come 2025, ESPN is no longer obligated to the conference (only Texas). That also means that the more content ESPN loses, cable companies and advertisers will not be obligated to ESPN's obscene carriage and marketing rates. Plus, the way delivery is trending, the bigger conferences are going to need both a terrestrial and on-line footprint anyway. Fox will have 7-8 years to grow and expose the Big XII brand and develop an online identity (which they can possibly leverage off their NFL partnership) before it even has to worry about what Texas (who, let's be honest, becomes a giant only in their own mind with each passing year of mediocrity) will do.

Reaction Score
Jones: USF's Big 12 hopes damaged by small crowd for football opener

>>As the Big 12 mulls expansion, and a slew of teams line up, the last thing you want to do is give the conference an excuse to pull the seat out from under you. And USF's low attendance and a dull atmosphere give the Big 12 reasons to look elsewhere.

Talk all you want about how big of a school USF is. Talk all you want about how good of a school USF is. Talk all you want about how big the market is or that it's in Florida. The bottom line is the Big 12 is going to add programs that fit in with Texas, Oklahoma and TCU.

And when you see 22,000 people show up for a game, that's a turnoff. It's an eyesore.<<

>>BYU averaged 58,532. Cincinnati averaged 37,096. Temple isn't even being be considered for the Big 12 and it drew 44,000. Heck, even UConn (28,224) averaged more fans than USF.<<

Reaction Score
Scott Powers@powers15 7 mins ago
Former #UConn AD Todd Turner rooting for Huskies to reach Big 12, but doesn't think they'll make cut.
Huskies To Make Pitch To Big 12 Thursday; Former UConn AD Doesn't Like Chances

TODD TURNER? How the hell did they decide to get this guy to weigh in?

"If it weren't for geography, I think they would be in great shape [for inclusion], I do," said Todd Turner, who was UConn AD from 1987-90. "I don't think the status of their football program will be a big issue because they've been good before and they have the infrastructure in place with a good young coach [Bob Diaco]. They have invested in the sport. Their budget is very competitive, perhaps even better than some existing Big 12 schools.​

Oh my god, this staggeringly awful on so many levels.

1) What does a guy who ran the athletic department 30 years ago know about the college landscape today?

2) Really? Again with Geography? .

3) REALLY? TODD TURNER? You couldn't find a past UConn AD from even the BCS era to weigh in?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom