Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 105 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Yes. The Big 12 is a conference comprised mostly of sub-par schools; it doesn't have nearly the same level of institutions that you have in the Big 10 and ACC. Might sound silly, but that's kind of important to me--I like to play schools that aren't a joke. The nice thing about having rivalries with schools like Syracuse, BC, Georgetown, Rutgers is not just the athletic component, but the fact that they're high caliber academic institutions.

I completely agree. I remember a few years back when Rutgers was investing heavily in Stem Cell research, but then UConn announced a major breakthrough for it's practical applications.

I was like, "YEAH! YOU LIKE THAT RUTGERS! S#*K IT!"

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with anything you've said. Sure, I'd like to be in a league with better schools, but why would UConn's academics prevent them from being invited by the Big 12? Unless you're saying that the schools in the Big 12 would elect to pass on UConn because our academics are too good, this doesn't follow the post I was quoting.
I completely agree. I remember a few years back when Rutgers was investing heavily in Stem Cell research, but then UConn announced a major breakthrough for it's practical applications.

I was like, "YEAH! YOU LIKE THAT RUTGERS! S#*K IT!"

To Bruce, you are right that my second post was tangential. My initial post, citing both geography and academics, was meant to primarily stress geography. However, although Big 12 schools obviously wouldn't go, "Wow, that school's academics are far too good for our conference! Nothing to see here," they would definitely be seeking schools that fit nicely into the profile of what it means to be a Big 12 school. What schools, culturally and academically, are going to fit in with the other Big 12 schools? UConn, in my opinion, wouldn't fit well into that Big 12 culture, for academics among other reasons. Still, geography is 90% of the reason why I don't see UConn in the Big 12.

To NYU, I do the same thing. It's great to compete with schools who you feel are similar to you not just on the field, but off it as well; it enhances the competition.

Reaction Score
To Bruce, you are right that my second post was tangential. My initial post, citing both geography and academics, was meant to primarily stress geography. However, although Big 12 schools obviously wouldn't go, "Wow, that school's academics are far too good for our conference! Nothing to see here," they would definitely be seeking schools that fit nicely into the profile of what it means to be a Big 12 school. What schools, culturally and academically, are going to fit in with the other Big 12 schools? UConn, in my opinion, wouldn't fit well into that Big 12 culture, for academics among other reasons. Still, geography is 90% of the reason why I don't see UConn in the Big 12.

To NYU, I do the same thing. It's great to compete with schools who you feel are similar to you not just on the field, but off it as well; it enhances the competition.

Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, these are 3 schools similar to UConn.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, these are 3 schools similar to UConn.

Not buying that one with the exception of UT. Texas and UConn are pretty much of equal quality, but OU and Kansas are both pretty sub par schools. Further, that would only be 30% of the conference even if I gave you Kansas and OU. If you look at, say, the ACC, every school matches up well with UConn with the exception of FSU and Louisville.

Reaction Score
Not buying that one with the exception of UT. Texas and UConn are pretty much of equal quality, but OU and Kansas are both pretty sub par schools. Further, that would only be 30% of the conference even if I gave you Kansas and OU. If you look at, say, the ACC, every school matches up well with UConn with the exception of FSU and Louisville.

Kansas is AAU. Oklahoma has the highest Carnegie category. 1.6B endowment. These schools are very similar to UConn, and as for UT they are in another stratosphere. How does every school in the ACC match up well with UConn? There are private schools that don't match up well at all, like BC, Cuse, Wake, Duke. UConn is well ahead of Clemson, but it is just lightly ahead of Florida State, similar type schools. Virginia is obviously in another stratosphere, but UConn aspires to be like Pitt and North Carolina.

Reaction Score
Based on publicly disclosed undergrad admissions scores, your perspective appears correct. Above, someone mentioned SMU and Baylor. Publicly reported undergrad admissions scores for SMU are higher than for UCONN, and markedly lower for Baylor. Within academia, perhaps some other views exist if graduate admissions #s, research $, or other factors are considered.

Reaction Score
Based on publicly disclosed undergrad admissions scores, your perspective appears correct. Above, someone mentioned SMU and Baylor. Publicly reported undergrad admissions scores for SMU are higher than for UCONN, and markedly lower for Baylor. Within academia, perhaps some other views exist if graduate admissions #s, research $, or other factors are considered.

Admission scores though skew. They diminish in importance with the different size of the schools. It used to be schools increased scores by limiting seats. SMU, Baylor and TCU are smaller privates. The big state schools also have different missions to serve their own students from the state primarily, which will limit the applicant pool (i.e. it's harder gaining admission from out of state, so state students have an advantage). After that, it's not just a matter of research $ or grad admissions, but I would look at the level of student and faculty support (i.e. the cost per student). Assuming that in the highest Carnegie tier, salaries average around $80k, I'd bet this factor is more important than admission stats in terms of the quality of education. The more $$$ per student, the more faculty support there is, and the more full-time faculty. Naturally, the best faculty will gravitate to the schools with the best support in terms of salary and expenditures for teaching/research, though of course geography is a factor. Oklahoma definitely suffers in that regard. But then so does the entire B12 outside of Texas.

Reaction Score
Admission scores though skew. They diminish in importance with the different size of the schools. It used to be schools increased scores by limiting seats. SMU, Baylor and TCU are smaller privates. The big state schools also have different missions to serve their own students from the state primarily, which will limit the applicant pool (i.e. it's harder gaining admission from out of state, so state students have an advantage). After that, it's not just a matter of research $ or grad admissions, but I would look at the level of student and faculty support (i.e. the cost per student). Assuming that in the highest Carnegie tier, salaries average around $80k, I'd bet this factor is more important than admission stats in terms of the quality of education. The more $$$ per student, the more faculty support there is, and the more full-time faculty. Naturally, the best faculty will gravitate to the schools with the best support in terms of salary and expenditures for teaching/research, though of course geography is a factor. Oklahoma definitely suffers in that regard. But then so does the entire B12 outside of Texas.
Good academic insight; thank you. Abridged info: Other than UT, UCONN is a higher ranked and respected university than every other Big XII school.

Reaction Score
Admissions. I've talked about this a while ago - universities like being in a conference with peer institutions that draw from a similar pool of high school students. You can easily see where Brown or Cornell benefits from being in an athletic league with Harvard and Yale - they want to draw from the same population of students. A high school guidance counselor might be more apt to suggest applying to say, University of Utah as a 2nd/3rd choice when that school is associated with UC Berkeley and Washington. On this front, UConn probably would prefer to associate with the ACC and attract students who are applying to UVA, Duke and UNC. SMU and Baylor may be pretty good schools, but the type of student who applies to those (or to say, Kansas State) is probably not the main type of student UConn wants to attract. And vice versa - kids from New England / New York who grew up fans of UConn, and are applying to UConn, probably won't pick too many AAC or B12 schools as their backup. Geography is a component, but it's more than that.
You just though of a new argument for UConn inclusion in the B12
Texas,Oklahoma,Kansas,Iowa State somewhat peers can benefit by getting New England Studends

Reaction Score
Last warning - the thread is for key tweets.

Your ability to comprehend the concept will determine your ability to continue to exist here.

Is that the carrot?

Where's the stick?

Lots of threads to post opinions in, take charge.

or do you know the imminent future, and don't give a rats ass

1. ps When i see my serious ACC insider neighbor, he's with the Clemson ft team right now representing the ACC, I'll ask specifics trying to tie him down. He's too high up and usually says that UConn is a strong state school and will end up AOK.. Last time he referred to 4-6 years before true expansion, unless the Big 12 makes a move. He has always thought UConn would be a good travel partner for WVU, but then again he has past ties to WVU ( among others).
Go UConn - take the Big 12 if they extend it. Seems like the ACC and B1G don't really care enough to trump.

This ACC/B1G view, or laise faire, is reality and its not carwash news.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 13m13 minutes ago

We hope to garner more info once Dereg votes concludes. Leading candidates UCONN-UH-CINCY will make final pitches & negotiate pay schedules.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 13m13 minutes ago

We hope to garner more info once Dereg votes concludes. Leading candidates UCONN-UH-CINCY will make final pitches & negotiate pay schedules.

Hate to get technical, but while Flugs is a nice guy and always has known and tweeted about what kind of value we bring to a P5 conference, he falls under the Non-Key Twitterati grouping. This thread is reserved for tweets/messages from journalists, school/conference leaders, etc.

Reaction Score
This to me falls in key tweet category ..if different mod's can move it:
  1. Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 10m10 minutes ago
    For those hoping for Big 12 expansion ... Next week's NCAA convention just got very interesting.

12 retweets11 likes

2. Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 17m17 minutes ago
    John Swofford on conference title game deregulation: "A year ago I thought that would have passed easily. Now we'll have to see."

7 retweets1 like

3. Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 24m24 minutes ago
    Sankey: The SEC Big 12 prime time Sugar Bowl is important to them. "We will protect that." No talk of moving it so playoff not on NYE.

5 retweets3 likes

4. Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 26m26 minutes ago
    Sankey said there is an "openness" to explore options for Big 12 to host a title game with 10 teams, but they are happy with status quo.

5 retweets1 like

5. Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 27m27 minutes ago
    SEC commissioner Greg Sankey just said he will not support ACC/big 12 title game deregulation as originally proposed. Vote is next week.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Looks like the SEC and B1G are calling the ACC out. Delaney's addendum was specifically aimed at the ACC...they are going to force Stafford into having a CCG played by 2 division winners. IMHO SEC, B!G, and PAC-12 will all vote together on this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wonder a bit if the Big 12 sudden public flirtation with us is their way of saying that there will consequences if you vote against our CCG plan. Those consequences being the loss of a desirable piece (Connecticut) and competition on the East coast. An attempt to change the cost/benefit analysis a bit to the favor there proposal makes sense but it may be a too Storrs-centric view.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder a bit if the Big 12 sudden public flirtation with us is there way of saying that there will consequences if you vote against our CCG plan. Those consequences bieng the loss of a desirable piece (Connecticut) and competition on the East coast. An attempt to change the cost/benefit analysis a bit to the favor there proposal makes sense but it may be a too Storrs-centric view.
IMHO that public flirtation is a shot at the ACC more than anything else.

Reaction Score
Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 1h1 hour ago
SEC commissioner Greg Sankey says he's sympathetic to Big 12 but won't support conference title game deregulation as currently proposed.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 1h1 hour ago
Vote on conference title game deregulation scheduled this week at NCAA convention. Power 5 has 2 votes per conf, group of five 1 per con f.

Chuck Carlton ‏@ChuckCarltonDMN · 52m52 minutes ago
Conference USA commissioner Judy MacLeod through a spokesman says it's finalizing input from members on conf title game deregulation vote.

Chuck CarltonVerified account
@ChuckCarltonDMN
Reporting on all things Big 12 for the Dallas Morning News. Like the conference I cover, I've improbably survived a couple rounds of realignment.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If the Big 10, SEC, and Pac-12 all vote against it, only 2 G5 conferences will have to vote against it for it to fail. From what others have said (and it makes sense), the MAC will follow its big brother the Big 10, leaving only one more conference, likely the AAC, to vote against it. I get the feeling it will be shot down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom