Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 104 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To paraphrase The Animals: "We gotta get out of this conference/ If it's the last thing we ever do / We gotta get out of this conference / Girl, there's a better life for me and you"
To paraphrase Otis Redding: "2000 miles I'll roam, just to make a P5 conference my home."

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
To paraphrase The Animals: "We gotta get out of this conference/ If it's the last thing we ever do / We gotta get out of this conference / Girl, there's a better life for me and you"

To paraphrase Black Sheep:

Listen Aresco, lemme say it slow
Weee...haaave..to...goooooooo
Not to dis, but lets disperse
Yo, we'll see you later, unless we see you first...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I consider this a key tweet:
SB✯Nation CFB ‏@SBNationCFB 4m4 minutes ago
NCAA admins will soon vote on a rule that could lead to another Big 12 expansion. Here's what you need to know http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/1/6/10718972/big-12-expansion-ncaa-conference-title-game-byu-houston-cincinnati…

View summary
5 retweets3 likes
I read that and ZERO mention of UConn. Only mentioned how schools like Cincy, BYU, and Houston would be interested to find out the vote....was good info about what was being voted on though. The B1G proposal still confuses me.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I read that and ZERO mention of UConn. Only mentioned how schools like Cincy, BYU, and Houston would be interested to find out the vote....was good info about what was being voted on though. The B1G proposal still confuses me.

I hate to say it, but I think we only have an outside chance. CR has discarded logic, but if any shred of logic remains then UConn is no fit for the Big 12, mostly geographically but also academically. I want to be in the P5 as much as the next guy, and I'd love to join the Big 12, but I just don't know if we're the puzzle piece they're looking for.

Reaction Score
I hate to say it, but I think we only have an outside chance. CR has discarded logic, but if any shred of logic remains then UConn is no fit for the Big 12, mostly geographically but also academically. I want to be in the P5 as much as the next guy, and I'd love to join the Big 12, but I just don't know if we're the puzzle piece they're looking for.

What does it even mean that we're not a fit academically? We'd be too good a school?

Reaction Score
What does it even mean that we're not a fit academically? We'd be too good a school?
I guess that they are not all flagship universities. They're a mish-mash, like the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I put it here because it explained the process of the deregulation vote and what the B1G amendment means

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I secretly harbor the belief that "no school brings enough value" mantra that we've heard so often over the last six months accrues to our favor, if accurate. We bring more value than any of the other teams on the list, by far. (#Dooley'slist) So if that's the criteria, rather than a reactionary grab of which of the candidates had the best football season in 2015, I think we stand a puncher's chance of getting a berth in the Big 12 notwithstanding the fact that we are an odd geographic and cultural fit.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
But does that mean they wouldn't want a state flagship? What's the downside?

They very specifically do want a flagship. It is our biggest positive in my view. We are the last one available of any value.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Admissions. I've talked about this a while ago - universities like being in a conference with peer institutions that draw from a similar pool of high school students. You can easily see where Brown or Cornell benefits from being in an athletic league with Harvard and Yale - they want to draw from the same population of students. A high school guidance counselor might be more apt to suggest applying to say, University of Utah as a 2nd/3rd choice when that school is associated with UC Berkeley and Washington. On this front, UConn probably would prefer to associate with the ACC and attract students who are applying to UVA, Duke and UNC. SMU and Baylor may be pretty good schools, but the type of student who applies to those (or to say, Kansas State) is probably not the main type of student UConn wants to attract. And vice versa - kids from New England / New York who grew up fans of UConn, and are applying to UConn, probably won't pick too many AAC or B12 schools as their backup. Geography is a component, but it's more than that.

Reaction Score
Admissions. I've talked about this a while ago - universities like being in a conference with peer institutions that draw from a similar pool of high school students. You can easily see where Brown or Cornell benefits from being in an athletic league with Harvard and Yale - they want to draw from the same population of students. A high school guidance counselor might be more apt to suggest applying to say, University of Utah as a 2nd/3rd choice when that school is associated with UC Berkeley and Washington. On this front, UConn probably would prefer to associate with the ACC and attract students who are applying to UVA, Duke and UNC. SMU and Baylor may be pretty good schools, but the type of student who applies to those (or to say, Kansas State) is probably not the main type of student UConn wants to attract. And vice versa - kids from New England / New York who grew up fans of UConn, and are applying to UConn, probably won't pick too many AAC or B12 schools as their backup. Geography is a component, but it's more than that.

ALL ... major Universities want to rise in Worldwide Rankings. And the perception is that the affiliation with a Group - like the Big Ten - gives the Brand more power all over. What is happening? We all can see it: US Population flattens out. Past 2019 in most secondary schools. The Global Population of University Students from 2014-2025 rises from 167m to 265m; and, that increase is lots of big countries not the US. Where are the top 50 or top 100 ranked Universities? Whatever ranking you are looking at, about 35 of the top 50 are in the US. And Major State Flagships are rising all over. The Big Ten, I believe, are pulling together that all of their members rise. And, that has to be true of the B12. You Brand & you rise. You want more International kids and you get there by being higher ranked. USF or UCF will get there share; but, the students you want ... perpetuating into the future ... want the higher rankings. And the B12 Oklahoma University or Kansas State would rather be tied to University of Connecticut than BYU or Cincinnati.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I put it here because it explained the process of the deregulation vote and what the B1G amendment means
Oh I wasn't shooting it down. I thought it was a good article. Sorry if you thought I was begin negative. Was just expressing that it was odd to see Houston and not UConn being mentioned as someone hoping for more CR.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Yes. The Big 12 is a conference comprised mostly of sub-par schools; it doesn't have nearly the same level of institutions that you have in the Big 10 and ACC. Might sound silly, but that's kind of important to me--I like to play schools that aren't a joke. The nice thing about having rivalries with schools like Syracuse, BC, Georgetown, Rutgers is not just the athletic component, but the fact that they're high caliber academic institutions.

Reaction Score
Yes. The Big 12 is a conference comprised mostly of sub-par schools; it doesn't have nearly the same level of institutions that you have in the Big 10 and ACC. Might sound silly, but that's kind of important to me--I like to play schools that aren't a joke. The nice thing about having rivalries with schools like Syracuse, BC, Georgetown, Rutgers is not just the athletic component, but the fact that they're high caliber academic institutions.

This has nothing to do with anything you've said. Sure, I'd like to be in a league with better schools, but why would UConn's academics prevent them from being invited by the Big 12? Unless you're saying that the schools in the Big 12 would elect to pass on UConn because our academics are too good, this doesn't follow the post I was quoting.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom