Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 934 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Isn't the requirement 8 full members?

Gonzaga will be a full PAC member, they just don't have a football team, just like Providence is a full BE member sans baseball. Maybe, I don't know. Regardless, it seems like a dumb outdated rule that should be challenged.

Reaction Score
Isn't Tarleton in the middle of upgrading as we speak (could have sworn I read more than a year ago that they were making the move). This fell into place nicely for them.
Tarleton is in the UAC football conference (a combo of WAC & ASUN schools). The plan was for the conference to move up in next few years. (But they keep losing teams: 3 moved up to CUSA, 3 went back to Southland.) The conference has basically served as a signal "we are ready to move up."

Reaction Score
No more word on Northern Illinois or Toledo to the MW for football-only. Hopefully those talks were dead from the start. The MW does not pay enough to warrant those added travel expenses.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga will be a full PAC member, they just don't have a football team, just like Providence is a full BE member sans baseball. Maybe, I don't know.
I think the 8 team requirement comes from the FBS regs. So it's 8 full, football playing members... But who really knows at this point

Reaction Score
The next deals for media rights for these G5 conferences will be interesting.

The American has lost Houston, Cincinnati, UCF and SMU, even though the current contract pays when they were part of the conference.

The Mountain West has lost their top 5 programs, and the current contract pays for those schools being in the conference.

Conference USA lost half its membership to the AAC last year and those schools were all included in the current CUSA media rights contract.

There are going to be some hurt feelings when the next contracts start for these conferences.

Not to mention, the PAC-12 contract is all speculative at this point.

Reaction Score
Memphis to PAC for football (along with UConn) and BE for basketball would be a win/win. BE basketball could use another good basketball brand.
And you're expecting Memphis can recommend a school with a good basketball brand?

I would be stunned if the BE had ANY interest in a school that has nothing in common.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Yikes! You can't tell me there are not better established options out there than a FCS school that is still in the process of moving up. This shows how desperate this has truly become and it's ridiculous. The PAC is just as desperate. If they add a Sac St, then this entire thing is just a giant pile of dung.

Jurassic Park Poop GIF by Vidiots

Reaction Score
Yikes! You can't tell me there are not better established options out there than a FCS school that is still in the process of moving up.

And these great options are?

There are 8 G5 schools not in the PAC/MW.
UTEP & Tex St have already been invited to the MW.
UTSA has said it's staying in the AAC.
That leaves UNT, Rice, Tulsa, Sam Houston, and NMSU.

At the same time that Memp/UTSA re-committed to the AAC, the other 3 above may have as well. And if they hadn't they ain't leaving the AAC for a watered down MW. So basically you're left with Sam Houston & NMSU.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

Though the possibility of UConn joining the Pac-12 as a football-only complement was explored last week, this will not happen. UConn sources, requesting anonymity, told The Courant the university doesn’t consider this the right fit at this time.

So UConn, for the moment, will remain independent in football, in a season in which it has shown significant competitive improvement, and a member of the Big East in basketball and most other sports. UConn’s long-held ambition is to join one of the power conferences. Talks with the Big 12 were paused last month.

Reaction Score

Though the possibility of UConn joining the Pac-12 as a football-only complement was explored last week, this will not happen. UConn sources, requesting anonymity, told The Courant the university doesn’t consider this the right fit at this time.

So UConn, for the moment, will remain independent in football, in a season in which it has shown significant competitive improvement, and a member of the Big East in basketball and most other sports. UConn’s long-held ambition is to join one of the power conferences. Talks with the Big 12 were paused last month.
Or were they?

Reaction Score
Or were they?
Not sure if you are joking, but I kind of thought similar.

I'm really hoping this is a sign that we are close with one or more options. Otherwise, I'm not sure why UConn would say no when we don't even know if they were offered. Why not take this all the way to the goal line and then say no if something else materializes. Even then, they must know about the Charlie Brown metaphor. Why cut off any potential option considering how many times we've been left at the altar.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not sure if you are joking, but I kind of thought similar.

I'm really hoping this is a sign that we are close with one or more options. Otherwise, I'm not sure why UConn would say no when we don't even know if they were offered. Why not take this all the way to the goal line and then say no if something else materializes. Even then, they must know about the Charlie Brown metaphor. Why cut off any potential option considering how many times we've been left at the altar.
We have reasonably good, nearly complete schedules for football covering the next few years. We don't know what (if anything) an agreement for football with the new PAC would have provided financially and we would have been facing four or five road games a year in the Rockies or on the west coast.

If we wouldn't receive any broadcast revenues (or a CFP share) the cost could have been prohibitive.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Alright! Time to move along from this board until the next rumor surfaces. Adios boys! Lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom