Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 899 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I am not sure why you keep putting out these absurd theories about the Big Ten. We’re not AAU they’re not taking us. there are plenty of schools that already have a status that would be ahead of us, but our football is never gonna reach the status that they want even if we could be better than record in the end
Why do you not think we will achieve AAU status? Schools like USF and Arizona State just did last year. We are pretty close.

Who is ahead of us? And keep in mind the SEC is taking draft picks too. They have eight spots to the Big Ten's six if both go to 24.

Teams with a non-zero chance of joining either a 24-team SEC or Big 10:
UConn
Utah
Kansas
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
TCU
Texas Tech
Stanford
Cal
Notre Dame
Florida State
Clemson
North Carolina
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Louisville
Virginia Tech
Duke
Miami
NC State
Syracuse
Pitt

That's the list.

The Big 10 list (many of which may end up in SEC).
UConn
Arizona
Colorado
Arizona State
Utah
Kansas
Notre Dame
Florida State
Clemson
North Carolina
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Virginia Tech
Duke
Miami
Syracuse
Pitt

IF eight of the above schools land in the SEC, that leaves 6 spots for 8 teams in the Big 10 (not including Notre Dame).

We are going to have to beat out schools like Pitt, Syracuse, Duke, Arizona State, and Georgia Tech to get to the promised land. The only way that happens if is we join the Big 12 or ACC in the very near future.

Reaction Score
there is no way on this earth that the B10 has any interest in UConn.

Probably true.

Definitely true that there is no way UConn or any school not named "Notre Dame" ever turns down a Big 10 invitation and the money.

But speaking purely as a fan, I have little interest or excitement in ever watching UConn men's bb play in that conference. Shoddily-reffed slogs run by coaches with 1950s-era offensive mentalities.

Yes there is money and yes they send 8 to 10 teams to the tournament every year, but their hoops sucks and those teams are usually first-weekend speed bumps.

The Big 12, on the other hand, is awesome hoops.

Reaction Score
With the exception of carriage fees Rutgers brings no access or interest from NYC. None.
It’s going to be an ongoing issue. Carriage fees are gonna be less and less. It isn’t a growth area.

Over time, those carriage fees aren’t going to be worth Rutgers existence. It’s why SMU getting in to ACC for carriage reason is some of the dumbest reasoning I have seen.

There is NO GROWTH MARKET in carriage. Whatever you get for carriage today is going to decline quarter over quarter.

Reaction Score
right now uconn has almost no chance of getting into the B10, if the fb team ranked in top 30 or better and uconn gets selected for aau, it may be considered. even then its not a sure thing

Reaction Score
The Big 10 is more likely to shed teams than to add on additional mouths to feed that don't bring national cache in football.

I mean, my god, Washington is a legacy program that just played for the national title and is taking a partial share..
lol. Show u how bad smu screwed up everyone and everything .

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The Big 10 is more likely to shed teams than to add on additional mouths to feed that don't bring national cache in football.

I mean, my god, Washington is a legacy program that just played for the national title and is taking a partial share..
For one TV contract. They are getting a full share on the next one.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
right now uconn has almost no chance of getting into the B10, if the fb team ranked in top 30 or better and uconn gets selected for aau, it may be considered. even then its not a sure thing
We were literally a top 35 program in the Big East. AAU membership isn't that far around the corner.

Reaction Score
We were literally a top 35 program in the Big East. AAU membership isn't that far around the corner.
the decent ranking was maybe a dozen years ago. as of last season we were a dumpster fire football program I want them to go 8 and 4 this season but that may not even get us in the top 60. Many universities claim AAU is around the corner. We have to dramatically increase research output to be considered for AAU. If we can get into B12 or ACC, improve FB and build academic research for maybe 10 years, we may have a shot at the B10 but don't count on it.

Reaction Score
Keep fighting the good fight Shizzle. "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take," or something.

"10. The hiring, 1986: In 1979, UConn was one of seven founding members of the Big East Conference. But before Calhoun took the job, the Huskies averaged a mere 15 wins a season. At his introductory news conference, Calhoun was asked if UConn could -- gasp -- one day become a national power. His response? "It's doable." Yes, yes it was."

Reaction Score
The longer this is going on the more it just leaves a sour taste. I get the predicament we are in, but we just can’t keep being embarrassed as a program every year or two when the musical chairs start. I have a feeling Yormark is a classic example of “ahead of its time”. The fact that some presidents might be worried about their football image taking a hit before UConn football would even join tells you how far off they are.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Honestly I have no idea. Just thought I would pass it along. Borderline non-key tweet.
GoKU suggested that they heard upwards of $15million per year from ESPN to add us. Not sure if true, obviously, and if true more than likely we would share some/most with the other teams until the next contract where we get a more equal share.

Reaction Score
The longer this is going on the more it just leaves a sour taste. I get the predicament we are in, but we just can’t keep being embarrassed as a program every year or two when the musical chairs start. I have a feeling Yormark is a classic example of “ahead of its time”. The fact that some presidents might be worried about their football image taking a hit before UConn football would even join tells you how far off they are.
Yes exactly. The Big 12 presidents really should be listening to Yormark because..

1) he saved the Big 12 by unexpectedly getting a very good TV contract by acting quickly. The Big 12 at the time was at the risk of extinction with the Texas and Oklahoma departures.

AND

2) said contract in #1 ended up looking like a very enticing life raft for the Pac 12 4 corner schools when their own TV contract looked awful and after the Washington and Oregon bolted for the Big 10

Yormark has been several steps ahead of the curve.

Reaction Score
Norlander/Dodd:

-> Does Yormark have the votes?

It's not clear, but at this stage, indications are that he does not. That's what Monday's presentation was about. Any such expansion requires a "super majority" of Big 12 presidents voting in favor of expansion. That is, at least 12 of the 16 schools must approve.

Discussions are ongoing, but it's worth mentioning that Baylor president Linda Livingstone is the current Big 12 chair of the conference board of directors and the chair of the NCAA Board of Directors. What she thinks matters. CBS Sports reported Monday the current count is 6-2 in favor of the move. That two against might be a conservative estimate. Sources have indicated a handful of schools are either outright "no" votes or highly skeptical of the proposition at this stage.

A reminder, it only takes five votes to nix the move. Additionally, Yormark is trying to steer this issue amid a new group of presidents who don't fully align on this topic. Expansion is always a hot-button issue. Yormark is trying to work his pitch while avoiding disagreement as the Big 12 debuts with 16 teams in the latest era of profound transformation in college athletics.

If Yormark doesn't have the votes, there probably won't be a vote. That's what the next few weeks about -- presidents sharing information with their ADs and administrators to come up with an institutional opinion. Ideally, any commissioner would want a unanimous vote to assure alignment in the conference. Even though the presidents have the vote on this issue, it would be advantageous for Yormark to have total alignment. That means president and athletic director across the Big 12 board agree to bring in UConn. <-

There is a lot more in the article. Strongly suggest a read before commenting.

Reaction Score
The reason UConn needs to make this move is to not only get into the P4 now but give themselves a chance to get into the Big 10 in 10-15 years. If the SEC and Big 10 go to 24 schools in the future and UConn is at least average in football in the Big 12 (very plausible given previous performance in BCS league), UConn would have a decent shot to be team #23 or #24. That is why you have to make the move. I don't know if the Big 12 is going to add UConn but I know why some Big 12 schools would be opposed and it's not because of football, it's because they fall behind UConn in the Big 10 pecking order if the Huskies are invited.

Teams never sniffing the Big 10:
UCF
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Iowa State
Kansas State
Baylor
BYU
Oklahoma State
Houston

Teams with a chance:
Texas Tech
TCU

Teams with a real opportunity if the Big 10 goes to 24 (obviously some of these schools could get picked off by the SEC as well):
Kansas
Utah
UConn
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado
Some of your conjecture has merit, and some is complete bull crap.

Reaction Score
Norlander/Dodd:

It's not clear, but at this stage, indications are that he does not. That's what Monday's presentation was about. Any such expansion requires a "super majority" of Big 12 presidents voting in favor of expansion. That is, at least 12 of the 16 schools must approve. Discussions are ongoing, but it's worth mentioning that Baylor president Linda Livingstone is the current Big 12 chair of the conference board of directors and the chair of the NCAA Board of Directors. What she thinks matters. CBS Sports reported Monday the current count is 6-2 in favor of the move. That two against might be a conservative estimate. Sources have indicated a handful of schools are either outright "no" votes or highly skeptical of the proposition at this stage.

A reminder, it only takes five votes to nix the move. Additionally, Yormark is trying to steer this issue amid a new group of presidents who don't fully align on this topic. Expansion is always a hot-button issue. Yormark is trying to work his pitch while avoiding disagreement as the Big 12 debuts with 16 teams in the latest era of profound transformation in college athletics.

If Yormark doesn't have the votes, there probably won't be a vote. That's what the next few weeks about -- presidents sharing information with their ADs and administrators to come up with an institutional opinion. Ideally, any commissioner would want a unanimous vote to assure alignment in the conference. Even though the presidents have the vote on this issue, it would be advantageous for Yormark to have total alignment. That means president and athletic director across the Big 12 board agree to bring in UConn. <-

Seems to me that we flew too close to the sun for football in the Big East and then completely fell off the face of the earth. All the skepticism we currently face is the same skepticism we faced when going 1A in football and schools are probably wondering if we can do it again. They'd be taking a flyer on us.

This process just sucks. No other school has remotely been jerked around like this. Not even close. And the lack of leadership from the Board, the multiple Presidents and multiple ineffective ADs, until AD David Benedict is the real core issue, not these other conferences

Last edited:

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Norlander/Dodd:

It's not clear, but at this stage, indications are that he does not. That's what Monday's presentation was about. Any such expansion requires a "super majority" of Big 12 presidents voting in favor of expansion. That is, at least 12 of the 16 schools must approve.

Discussions are ongoing, but it's worth mentioning that Baylor president Linda Livingstone is the current Big 12 chair of the conference board of directors and the chair of the NCAA Board of Directors. What she thinks matters. CBS Sports reported Monday the current count is 6-2 in favor of the move. That two against might be a conservative estimate. Sources have indicated a handful of schools are either outright "no" votes or highly skeptical of the proposition at this stage.

Agree worth reading !!

"What he's doing is great for the Big 12," one school administrator from the league said of Yormark. "He's got more ideas and initiatives than any commissioner in the country. I support him 100% on the Connecticut opportunity."

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd wrote "Discussions are ongoing, but it's worth mentioning that Baylor president Linda Livingstone is the current Big 12 chair of the conference board of directors and the chair of the NCAA Board of Directors. What she thinks matters".

Dodd throws this in but then doesn't put any context around it.

I think the Baylor AD, Mack Rhoades, is in our corner. Last year, he even came out and said that a G5 school could get pro-rata. He is very close to Brett Yormark. Yormark said that Rhoades was his "sounding board" for 12 months when he first became the commissioner. (Video from last year posted below).

Plus, I would think that the Baylor President being the chair of the NCAA Board of Directors is a plus for us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom