Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 764 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
The conference would be forced to decide between exposure and income.
There are 2 kinds of exposure though. There's the no exposure at all because of ESPN+. And then there's the low exposure variety of FS1 and FS2. For UConn fans, Fox is great. For players wanting to showcase their skills, it's not so hot.

If ESPN taking the BE could guarantee the vast majority of UConn games on ESPN/2, that would be a huge bonus for the program.

Because, as we've seen, the Atlantic 10 tourney did better numbers than the BET, and that's solely because of the Fox/FS1/FS2 issue. Very few people turn to these channels.

Reaction Score
The Big East contract with FOX has 2 more years remaining. Ackerman said in March that the BE would approach FOX early in “a few months” to talk about extending the contract. The earliest I would have expected an update is at Big East media day.
I think if the big east and fox don’t have a agreement by the start of basketball season then it means the big east feels they can do better in the open market or fox doesn’t want the big east.. because after the season the big east can negotiate with anyone .. if that is the case then it is very important that the big east have a big year

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think if the big east and fox don’t have a agreement by the start of basketball season then it means the big east feels they can do better in the open market or fox doesn’t want the big east.. because after the season the big east can negotiate with anyone .. if that is the case then it is very important that the big east have a big year
Either that or Fox has decided it's not a property at wants to pursue.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
What people seem to forget is the Big 10 Network, SEC Network, and ACC Network have siphoned off a huge number of college basketball games. It’s what makes these networks viable. FOX needs the BE content.
Right.. but we’re not talking about that many windows on a nightly basis. These are 18 team leagues at this point and we’re talking about having at most 2 games on conference networks nightly.. which also show women’s games and other sports.

I’m just curious if FOX thinks it’s worth it to continue the production level it’s currently maintaining with the Big East. The tv numbers really are not that great comparing to the leagues you’d consider “peers” from a hoops perspective- even the BET doesn’t draw on TV like other tournaments do. Right now they broadcast essentially every single Big East game on FS1… could FOX determine there’s no value in putting DePaul, Butler, etc on tv 20 times a year versus potential alternate programming? Do they decide to make a run at the NBA who also has an expiring TV deal in 2 years? I have no idea.

Outside of the # of games on FOX and FS1, I’ll be curious to see if they’re still sending crews on-site to all games and whatnot going forwards

Reaction Score
What people seem to forget is the Big 10 Network, SEC Network, and ACC Network have siphoned off a huge number of college basketball games. It’s what makes these networks viable. FOX needs the BE content.

True, but those conferences have all expanded into super-conferences and now they each have many more basketball games that need to air somewhere.

Big 12 - added a net gain of 6 teams (+8 -2)
B1G - added 4 teams
ACC - added 3 teams
SEC - added 2 teams

Given that Fox has a contract with the two conferences who added the most teams (Big 12, B1G), they probably have all the content they need without the Big East. The net gain of 6 teams in the Big 12 plus the 4 teams in the B1G = 10 new teams under the Fox basketball umbrella, which is essentially the size of the Big East (minus one).

Reaction Score
True, but those conferences have all expanded into super-conferences and now they each have many more basketball games that need to air somewhere.

Big 12 - added a net gain of 6 teams (+8 -2)
B1G - added 4 teams
ACC - added 3 teams
SEC - added 2 teams

Given that Fox has a contract with the two conferences who added the most teams (Big 12, B1G), they probably have all the content they need without the Big East. The net gain of 6 teams in the Big 12 plus the 4 teams in the B1G = 10 new teams under the Fox basketball umbrella, which is essentially the size of the Big East (minus one).
Iirc somebody on the board actually looked at the contracts for the B12 and B1G with Fox and there was barely an increase in contracted games, which were offset by the reduction in P12 games, so Fox has space for the current amount of Big east games

Reaction Score
Iirc somebody on the board actually looked at the contracts for the B12 and B1G with Fox and there was barely an increase in contracted games, which were offset by the reduction in P12 games, so Fox has space for the current amount of Big east games

Fox financed the Washington and Oregon moves to the B1G, so I wonder if part of that is an increase in the number of games they air beginning next year? I haven't heard how the new media contract changes with the additions, but something had to change because neither Washington or Oregon were included in the original contract (USC and UCLA were included).

The B1G essentially has a surplus of football/basketball/olympic sports games with the addition of Washington and Oregon that have to be played somewhere, and my guess is that Fox picked up the extra games if they financed Washington and Oregon as has been reported. That is a lot of surplus games in basketball.

Reaction Score
Most of the West Coast games will be later starts so they won't impact the 7:00pm Midwest tip offs. Makes sense from a business standpoint

Reaction Score
B1G considering going to 22 league games in basketball rather than renew the Gavitt games contract........

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'm good with treating the athletes as employee's as long as the kids pay taxes on their earnings like the rest of us. Also, they should do away with athletic scholarships in this model as well.
I'd be stunned if they aren't currently paying taxes on NIL money.

Reaction Score
I'm good with treating the athletes as employee's as long as the kids pay taxes on their earnings like the rest of us. Also, they should do away with athletic scholarships in this model as well.
Screw taxes. Make them sit through mandatory compliance trainings with required quizzes. That'll make them regret having a job.

Reaction Score
Screw taxes. Make them sit through mandatory compliance trainings with required quizzes. That'll make them regret having a job.

5 LIKES and growing.

That Risk Management stuff is killer, Jerry. Killer!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

IYKYK.

download.jpg

pj

Reaction Score
continues

Used to be the conference would negotiate a media deal with a network once every 10 years. Now schools will be negotiating media rights with the conference annually. Going to be sweet times for media rights consultants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom