Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 763 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score

“How do you take larger groups and make them smaller to drive forward?” Petitti asks.

This quote from the B1G commissioner is indicative of what the future holds, both on a national level and at the conference level

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
“How do you take larger groups and make them smaller to drive forward?” Petitti asks.

This quote from the B1G commissioner is indicative of what the future holds, both on a national level and at the conference level
He’s thinking of creating a new Division above Division 1. I think he wants P4 only or P4 + Big East only but I think more leagues (MW, AAC, etc. ) will be involved. Think the future 9 FBS leagues, the Big East, A-10, MVC, WCC, and Ivy League.

Reaction Score
You can be included and left behind at the same time. This is how they like to rig things. With the NCAA out of the picture, the SEC and B1G are going to do their best to limit participation from smaller conferences and isolate those conferences when it comes to OOC matchups. They will put the screws to us when all that money is available to them.

They've done this in the past with football--they've made sure that their schools get first dibs on playoff berths.
You do realize that it is the networks who dictate things? Why would the Big 10 and Big East discussing extending the Gavitt Games? Because FOX has the Big 10 and Big East media rights.

Football TV revenues were never controlled by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be so sure of that.
The greatest asset that the Big East has is the Big East Tournament in Madison Square Garden. I don't think any Eastern Big East schools would consider going to the Big 12 and lose all of their rivals and the Big East Tournament. And, you do realize a number big donors donate to the schools to get access to BET tickets? For what? A couple of million extra in media revenues, but with increased travel cost for all sports.

Final point. None of us know what the value of the Big East media contract will be which will be a big factor in what happens to the Big East.

Reaction Score
The greatest asset that the Big East has is the Big East Tournament in Madison Square Garden. I don't think any Eastern Big East schools would consider going to the Big 12 and lose all of their rivals and the Big East Tournament. And, you do realize a number big donors donate to the schools to get access to BET tickets? For what? A couple of million extra in media revenues, but with increased travel cost for all sports.

Final point. None of us know what the value of the Big East media contract will be which will be a big factor in what happens to the Big East.
And don’t forget the buyout…I heard earlier in the year the big east wanted it at 50 million

Reaction Score
For context, Kansas who hasn't missed a tournament since 1989, has only 14 Elite Eight appearances in that 33 season span.

Time to recalibrate. Kansas’ streak officially ended in 2018 and they have one less Elite Eight and Final Four.

As it turns out, Kansas will not only vacate wins but also have to take down their 2018 Final Four banner because of Silvio De Sousa, who played in 15 of Kansas’ wins that season, including the Big 12 Tournament they won that year, as well as their NCAA Tournament run, which ended with a loss to Villanova in the Final Four.

Reaction Score

The western portion of the Big East wouldn't be impacted by travel cost increases.

Reaction Score
And don’t forget the buyout…I heard earlier in the year the big east wanted it at 50 million
There isn’t a $50 million buyout. Why would schools agree to that?

And, how much is the BET worth to a school? Is three days in NYC in March really worth their entire athletic department? We have to stop thinking so narrow.

You can be a hoops fans, most of us are, and don’t care about the inner workings of college athletics. But when it comes to these alignments, the factors you deem important are not as important as factors that you don’t care about.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Time to recalibrate. Kansas’ streak officially ended in 2018 and they have one less Elite Eight and Final Four.

As it turns out, Kansas will not only vacate wins but also have to take down their 2018 Final Four banner because of Silvio De Sousa, who played in 15 of Kansas’ wins that season, including the Big 12 Tournament they won that year, as well as their NCAA Tournament run, which ended with a loss to Villanova in the Final Four.
Hold on a minute there Zis, weren't you the one who made a big deal about how vacated accomplishments (in this case, specifically the title Louisville won in 2013) still count?

Reaction Score
You do realize that it is the networks who dictate things? Why would the Big 10 and Big East discussing extending the Gavitt Games? Because FOX has the Big 10 and Big East media rights.

Football TV revenues were never controlled by the NCAA.
What is the point you're making?

I'm talking about the main conferences limiting participation in the tournies.

You mentioned football. How much more evidence do you need that those conferences want all the money? They think of ways of freezing out as many people as possible.

They can make a lot more money that way.

The Gavitt Games are a sideshow and distraction in this regard. We're talking about $1b a year here. If the B1G and SEC can have as much of that as they can, they will take it.

Reaction Score
Hold on a minute there Zis, weren't you the one who made a big deal about how vacated accomplishments (in this case, specifically the title Louisville won in 2013) still count?
Yep that’s me. It’s a joke. Vacated games as a punishment is a joke. Ban them from 2 tournaments or something.

Kansas and UNC would never get punished like UConn or others.

It is nice though that announcers will not be able to reference the consecutive tournament streak, at least without bringing up that they vacated 2018.

Reaction Score

And, how much is the BET worth to a school? Is three days in NYC in March really worth their entire athletic department? We have to stop thinking so narrow.

You can be a hoops fans, most of us are, and don’t care about the inner workings of college athletics. But when it comes to these alignments, the factors you deem important are not as important as factors that you don’t care about.
The 50 million was a rumor that was going on in the summer that the big east wanted to up the buyout

Reaction Score

You can be a hoops fans, most of us are, and don’t care about the inner workings of college athletics. But when it comes to these alignments, the factors you deem important are not as mportant as factors that you don’t care about.

I hear in this post a neutral voice....like the calm cockpit computer voice..."terrain...pull up".

Reaction Score
The 50 million was a rumor that was going on in the summer that the big east wanted to up the buyout
Does it make sense to have a 50 million dollar buyout in league that pays its members less than 4 million in TV money?

Reactions: Orc

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Does it make sense to have a 50 million dollar buyout in league that pays its members less than 4 million in TV money?
I actually would support the 50 million dollar buyout. Why? If we get an ACC parachute, we will pay it anyway (20 million extra than before). It also further prevents us from getting backdoored by the ACC or Big 12 inviting Villanova or St. John's in our place.

Reaction Score
I actually would support the 50 million dollar buyout. Why? If we get an ACC parachute, we will pay it anyway (20 million extra than before). It also further prevents us from getting backdoored by the ACC or Big 12 inviting Villanova or St. John's in our place.
Yeah except UConn ain't getting a full share to the ACC or Big12. A 50 million buyout would essentially lock us in our out depending on your perspective. SMU is playing for free, Calford, for 1/3, UW and OU for 1/2 of full payouts.

Not that i care all that much. The ships have left the dock and we are still sitting here, "oh so icy".

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

an interesting thing to note given the upcoming deal for the Big East

Reaction Score

an interesting thing to note given the upcoming deal for the Big East

I think this is why the big east and fox have not come up with a deal yet…does anyone know if a basketball conference would be attractive to a apple or Amazon?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I think this is why the big east and fox have not come up with a deal yet…does anyone know if a basketball conference would be attractive to a apple or Amazon?
Apple’s model has been to buy the entire thing if it can.. I doubt the Big East wants to put their entire slate on the AppleTV paywall

FOX has no real incentive to overbid for the BE IMO.. I don’t see major competition for the rights. ESPN seems full outside of ESPN+ between the SEC, ACC, AAC and Big 12 agreements, FOX has B12 and B1G but can offer a very similar package to what they currently have.. NBC won’t do it, and I doubt CBS would be a major player. They know the BE would want to value linear exposure and FOX is really the only one in a position to give it to them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Apple’s model has been to buy the entire thing if it can.. I doubt the Big East wants to put their entire slate on the AppleTV paywall

FOX has no real incentive to overbid for the BE IMO.. I don’t see major competition for the rights. ESPN seems full outside of ESPN+ between the SEC, ACC, AAC and Big 12 agreements, FOX has B12 and B1G but can offer a very similar package to what they currently have.. NBC won’t do it, and I doubt CBS would be a major player. They know the BE would want to value linear exposure and FOX is really the only one in a position to give it to them.
Given the fact that the Big East will be a relatively economical buy, I could see ESPN beating a fox lowball offer. It takes content away from their primary competitor, allows ESPN to cherry pick marquee matchups and buys decent content for ESPN+ that is likely to draw in subscribers. It seems like a smart play to me. The conference would be forced to decide between exposure and income.

Reaction Score

What people seem to forget is the Big 10 Network, SEC Network, and ACC Network have siphoned off a huge number of college basketball games. It’s what makes these networks viable. FOX needs the BE content.

Reaction Score
I think this is why the big east and fox have not come up with a deal yet…does anyone know if a basketball conference would be attractive to an apple or Amazon?
The Big East contract with FOX has 2 more years remaining. Ackerman said in March that the BE would approach FOX early in “a few months” to talk about extending the contract. The earliest I would have expected an update is at Big East media day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom