Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 565 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
It might be the way to go in the future, but it is going to cause the PAC-9 to keep losing members.
Maybe not. Many in Pac 9 need to buy time. This may be the perfect band aid.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
While a smaller share to be sure, I think I saw Colorado gets three times as many kids from California as Texas. It was one of the things that led them to the pac last decade, but wasn’t compelling enough now.

Would be interesting to see how no UCLA and USC impacted their projections for students (athletics tv money aside).

Reaction Score
Apple TV/Amazon/YouTube is way to go. That is going to dominate content in coming years.
Maybe. But I thought the NFL games on Amazon were terrible/inconvenient/cumbersome. I watched once and refused to go back.

Reaction Score
Nah. There is a large segment of fans and media that are “basketball people.”

They prioritize basketball above the entire athletic department.
I am a “basketball first” fan. Been a die hard my entire life. I’m a relatively new UConn football fan (never really cared for college football until recently. Only NFL).

So my perspective may be somewhat unique…I still think the Big 12 is the right move. Would it suck to lose the Big East Tournament? Of course. But I’m more concerned with UConn getting left in the dust financially than I am with our ability to compete in the Big 12. As long as Hurley is here, we will be operating at an elite level. Not worried about recruiting either because we are a national brand in basketball, and the Big 12 is arguably the best basketball league.

I want an on-campus football stadium and Gampel is in dire need of some renovations to the concourses. None of that happens unless we are getting a P5 TV check.

Reaction Score
The problem with Amazon is that every Thursday Night Football game was crappy match ups. The production was fine.
The real issue is right now for college athletics is ESPN and FS1 are provided by all cable companies.
If one streaming platform purchases ESPN, and another purchases(exclusive with FOX), then it forces ppl to purchase a streaming channel(big issue if they don't already own it). This causes resentment from the fan base.

Just look at the AAC TV deal and what we escaped coverage wise with that.
Streaming companies need to find a way to provide for all at significant discount...

Otherwise Google and Youtube TV will purchase them both and essential become cable without the cables.

I don't blame the PAC-9 and counting for denying this current offer at all.

Reaction Score
Streaming, as constituted, is not the future. They have to integrate the platforms into the typical channel surfing model. Having to download/update apps, plug in USB devices, etc is too much work and/or too confusing for it to be adopted en masse. This is before we consider the current web of a la carte streaming subscriptions people pay for across numerous platforms.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Streaming, as constituted, is not the future. They have to integrate the platforms into the typical channel surfing model. Having to download/update apps, plug in USB devices, etc is too much work and/or too confusing for it to be adopted en masse. This is before we consider the current web of a la carte streaming subscriptions people pay for across numerous platforms.

You can buy a 50" smart TV for $200 that can get any app you want.

Reaction Score
For anyone interested. The Arizona BOR meeting starts at 6:30 eastern time. Search ABOR on YouTube.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I started to make the same reply, then I think what he's talking about is the 10 seconds to log into each individual app.

Reaction Score
Access to the hardware is not the point, it's the platform. Apps must be downloaded, updated, often using clunky and confusing embedded UIs made by the TV manufacturer. You have to input your email and a password to get access to the content. It's not as simple as plug in the TV, hit channel 849 and get ESPN. That's before you consider the payment, subscription, sufficient internet connection, etc.

Until it's as simple as that, it won't have the same broad appeal. For the mass-market consumer, one or more of the above things are a barrier to adopting streaming as an acceptable primary platform.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
It will be very hard though to get them to travel to B12 locales other than Orlando. This conference really is unappealing. Some places like Lawrence, Kansas could have appeal, but they're hard to get to from Hartford.

Ever been to Stillwater, OK? I have. It was hard to keep my jaw from dropping as I was driven through town. And I don't mean that in a good way. The coals joke that it got its name not because the water was still but because there was still some water over there.
1) East Hartford/Hartford and Storrs are not making many must-visit lists

2) I visit opposing schools to support UCONN.

3) Most of the Big 12 schools have relatively easy flights from Bradley, NYC, and/Logan

Reaction Score
1) East Hartford/Hartford and Storrs are not making many must-visit lists

2) I visit opposing schools to support UCONN.

3) Most of the Big 12 schools have relatively easy flights from Bradley, NYC, and/Logan
1. Have you been to these places?
2. That's great
3. I'm talking about Connecticut residents. Don't tell me the trip to JFK or Lohan is something someone living in, say, Glastonbury, doesn't mind.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This guy and the Altimore dude from the San Jose Mercury News have been carrying water for the PAC all spring and summer. He dismissed CU leaving straight away. Don’t consider him ‘Key’. Put him in ‘Biased’

Most reliable have been Scheer from Arizona and Marchand from NY Post although the latter doesn’t really break news and comes at it more from a media $$ perspective
Scheer is also biased. He’s just good at reading the room.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom