Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 211 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
Generally Blauds isn't dead wrong on specific info, he's well plugged in. If he's posting that's what the plan is as of now, we should assume that's what the plan is as of now.

Makes me wonder why he would write a case for Uconn as a good candidate for expansion now unless he knows that the Big 12 is on the fence about giving Uconn an invite. The title of the article could be renamed "Uconn-what the hell are you waiting for?"

Reaction Score
I found this fascinating.

It is a power play by a school with no power. And, apparently, no clue.

You can't expand the GOR past the term of the television contract.

Yeah, considering it was someone semi-involved in the process (I assume ADs give a ton of advice/insight to President's, as people mentioned President's aren't sports people), it's one of the more plugged in public statements we've seen. But the fact that it's got incorrect info, assuages my tension a bit. I doubt he'd make a public statement contradictory to the position of the university, though, so either they're posturing, trying to move public opinion, or just clueless. Considering their goal (expanding the GOR) isn't feasible without a new deal or network, I'm not sure what they wanted to accomplish.

Reaction Score
Blauds said:

FWIW, I have a friend that is a booster at one of the other prospective new additions. They are expecting to hear early next week.

Have a good weekend everybody!!!!
In the words of Gordon Gekko, "stop giving us information, and start getting us some!" What are our boosters saying?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Yeah, considering it was someone semi-involved in the process (I assume ADs give a ton of advice/insight to President's, as people mentioned President's aren't sports people), it's one of the more plugged in public statements we've seen. But the fact that it's got incorrect info, assuages my tension a bit. I doubt he'd make a public statement contradictory to the position of the university, though, so either they're posturing, trying to move public opinion, or just clueless. Considering their goal (expanding the GOR) isn't feasible without a new deal or network, I'm not sure what they wanted to accomplish.

It's a really odd statement to make given that the intended audience - their fellow B12 members - will know that he doesn't have any bullets in his gun and that the grant of rights can't be extended!

It's almost like announcing that you're the dumbest guy in the room.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The notice from the Big 12 comes out on Tuesday afternoon right as the American Athletic Conference Media Day finishes up... lol
This is like the movie Saw - get them all in a room and then play god.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In the words of Gordon Gekko, "stop giving us information, and start getting us some!" What are our boosters saying?

He is important enough that the AD of the school will answer an email, text or phone call within a few days, but not important enough where the AD will tell him anything major that is non-public. I have gotten some scraps of interesting information from him in the past, but nothing earth shattering.

He just said schools should know early next week, and didn't tell me if he had gotten that directly from the AD or from another booster. It is also the Big 12, and the Texas AD could be constipated on Monday and all bets are off.

Reaction Score
It's a really odd statement to make given that the intended audience - their fellow B12 members - will know that he doesn't have any bullets in his gun and that the grant of rights can't be extended!

As I read some of his comments, I think his message was garbled. I think he is saying they are going to negotiate with their media partners to extend the contract. That's part of the GOR extension.

Of course, that's crazy. ESPN wasn't willing to give them a huge bump a month ago, but now they will after they've added the new schools?

Reaction Score
It's laughable that Iowa State expects us to believe they'd rather stay a 10-team conference making the same amount of money than get a big bump in revenue by adding four teams, just because it means they can't improve the long-term viability of the league -- which they wouldn't be doing anyhow.

Reaction Score
ECUAthleticsVerified account ‏@ECUAthletics Jul 25
Looks like @ECUAthletics would be an excellent travel partner along with @WVUSports!

CoPIT_tXYAAdys8.jpg

ECUAthleticsVerified account ‏@ECUAthletics 21m21 minutes ago
Greenville, NC, home to the Pirates, has a larger population than 22 cities home to "Power 5" programs!

Reaction Score
He is important enough that the AD of the school will answer an email, text or phone call within a few days, but not important enough where the AD will tell him anything major that is non-public. I have gotten some scraps of interesting information from him in the past, but nothing earth shattering.

He just said schools should know early next week, and didn't tell me if he had gotten that directly from the AD or from another booster. It is also the Big 12, and the Texas AD could be constipated on Monday and all bets are off.
By giving scraps of information that is somewhere between second and fourth hand, you could be a Twitter legend! Especially if you happened to be from West Virginia.

UConn has been unbelievably tight lipped. There are two ways to look at that. We've done a wonderful job, through consulting relationships and Herbst limiting discussion to those that need to know) keeping things quiet. I don't look at that as any good or bad sign. The other possibility is that we've never really be in consideration. We look good on paper to some Twitter trolls, but the reason for the lack of any even small leaks, is that there's nothing really going on. If we don't get in, we'll probably never know which was true.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

As I read some of his comments, I think his message was garbled. I think he is saying they are going to negotiate with their media partners to extend the contract. That's part of the GOR extension.

Of course, that's crazy. ESPN wasn't willing to give them a huge bump a month ago, but now they will after they've added the new schools?

Yeah I was trying to wrap my head around this. What ISU people claim is that "there is potential that the existing pro-rata clauses will be negotiated into a TV deal/GOR extension without any expansion.". Why would ESPN do this? I don't know. Why would they give them money for no value? I guess it could perhaps lock in the rate for longer period with the extension?

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Is ESPN going to get shaken down? And give more money to the TCUs and Baylors so that they DON'T have to pay UConn?

Reaction Score

We're so used to posters making that pronouncement that it's easy to spot someone in the real world just as determined.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
ECUAthleticsVerified account ‏@ECUAthletics Jul 25
Looks like @ECUAthletics would be an excellent travel partner along with @WVUSports!

CoPIT_tXYAAdys8.jpg

ECUAthleticsVerified account ‏@ECUAthletics 21m21 minutes ago
Greenville, NC, home to the Pirates, has a larger population than 22 cities home to "Power 5" programs!

Looking at this map, thinking about the "geographic footprint" argument for expansion, seeing the number of current schools from TX, and considering the probable candidates, I have determined the 4 schools that will be invited to join the Big12 next week: UCONN, USF, UCF, and BYU. Then they go with 2 divisions: East - UCONN, WV, USF, UCF, I-State, K-State, and Kansas; West - TX, TT, TCU, BU, OU, OSU, and BYU. Set your watch and warrant.

Reaction Score
Not a popular post - but maybe reality. All it comes down to is fannies in the seats. Now I will say that I have only been to one UConn home game against Army and maybe there was 26k at the game, so I leave it to others to fill in the attendance details. Tell me even with a Big 12 invite and assuming we are in that league with an expanded stadium of 60k how many tickets will be sold for UConn vs OK State.? Specifically how many OK State fans can we count on to show up?

That;s the paradigm. We need more fans and need more opposing team fans. Yes in the Big 12 we sell out maybe for UT and OU (assuming a 60k stadium) but how many show up for TCU? Maybe the 30k locals but TCU is not bringing 20k fans. It's sad, but its not anything different from BCU and Syracuse (or UC, Memphis, UCF, etc.). The opposing team fans will not show up,. And how will Uconn fans travel for away games that are miles apart at Baylor, Kansas, Texas Tech - 2k?

Its sad. But think of UVA which in its last few years gets maybe 40k in a 60k stadium. But if they are playing Clemson or VTech the opposing team brings 20k fans, so the stadium is sold out

So in a real world I do think UConn would do better in a local ACC environment, where competitive games with BCU, Cuse, UNC would bring opposing team fans into the Rent - increasing our 25-35k loyal fans to 45-55 (in a 60k area), but that won't happen with the Big 12. Maybe people watch on TV, and maybe this is no different from Cincy, Memphis, UH, or the Florida schools. But from an outside perspective you relally want to be in a conference where your stadium is full and 10k+ opposing fans are there every game. Take UVA, the attendance playing Duke at home is pitiful, but when Clemson's 20k fans (orV Tech ) travel its full.

So I am not condemning UConn , I think its the same with any team considered for thdeBig 12, but seriously in the short to medium run you need a conference where between the local fans and away fans attending the stadium is rocking. And as important as that how well does Uconn travel. I was at the Meinike Bowl and we traveled well, but if we were playing in UT for the conference champsionship (2 years from now) how many fans would show up?

Sorry to be a debbie downer, and i dont understand why every Patriots game/BoSox is sold out - but we are not there ....yet. But we are NO different from Cincy. UH, UCF, or Memphis in this regard.

I guess I am just saying that the ACC/BIG should understand that: yes relative local fans will travel to the Rent, especailly when we are good - like this coming year, and UConn fans will travel to RU, Maryland, UVA, VTU, Penn State, Cuse, Duke, NC State when the game is on the line to the tune of 10k (so I think). But to think we travel to UT, UH, TCU, KS is a different metric.

I was at the Meinke bowl and UConn fans showed up huge, and Swafford should take serious note of that and out continued potential. Now the Birmingham bowl against SC - I have no idea, But we did whip their ass.

And yes I have somewhat inside contacts at the ACC and all I hear is tha they are working hard this summer. God only hopes they understand the potential power of NE football and what it can bring, surley BCU and Cuse (and RU) have played that down - but I for one can see a very bright future!!

n

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a popular post - but maybe reality. All it comes down to is fannies in the seats. Now I will say that I have only been to one UConn home game against Army and maybe there was 26k at the game, so I leave it to others to fill in the attendance details. Tell me even with a Big 12 invite and assuming we are in that league with an expanded stadium of 60k how many tickets will be sold for UConn vs OK State.? Specifically how many OK State fans can we count on to show up?

That;s the paradigm. We need more fans and need more opposing team fans. Yes in the Big 12 we sell out maybe for UT and OU (assuming a 60k stadium) but how many show up for TCU? Maybe the 30k locals but TCU is not bringing 20k fans. It's sad, but its not anything different from BCU and Syracuse (or UC, Memphis, UCF, etc.). The opposing team fans will not show up,. And how will Uconn fans travel for away games that are miles apart at Baylor, Kansas, Texas Tech - 2k?

Its sad. But think of UVA which in its last few years gets maybe 40k in a 60k stadium. But if they are playing Clemson or VTech the opposing team brings 20k fans, so the stadium is sold out

So in a real world I do think UConn would do better in a local ACC environment, where competitive games with BCU, Cuse, UNC would bring opposing team fans into the Rent - increasing our 25-35k loyal fans to 45-55 (in a 60k area), but that won't happen with the Big 12. Maybe people watch on TV, and maybe this is no different from Cincy, Memphis, UH, or the Florida schools. But from an outside perspective you relally want to be in a conference where your stadium is full and 10k+ opposing fans are there every game. Take UVA, the attendance playing Duke at home is pitiful, but when Clemson's 20k fans (orV Tech ) travel its full.

So I am not condemning UConn , I think its the same with any team considered for thdeBig 12, but seriously in the short to medium run you need a conference where between the local fans and away fans attending the stadium is rocking. And as important as that how well does Uconn travel. I was at the Meinike Bowl and we traveled well, but if we were playing in UT for the conference champsionship (2 years from now) how many fans would show up?

Sorry to be a debbie downer, and i dont understand why every Patriots game/BoSox is sold out - but we are not there ....yet. But we are NO different from Cincy. UH, UCF, or Memphis in this regard.

I guess I am just saying that the ACC/BIG should understand that: yes relative local fans will travel to the Rent, especailly when we are good - like this coming year, and UConn fans will travel to RU, Maryland, UVA, VTU, Penn State, Cuse, Duke, NC State when the game is on the line to the tune of 10k (so I think). But to think we travel to UT, UH, TCU, KS is a different metric.

I was at the Meinke bowl and UConn fans showed up huge, and Swafford should take serious note of that and out continued potential. Now the Birmingham bowl against SC - I have no idea, But we did whip their ass.
That ship has sailed. All aboard the Titanic

Reaction Score

I believe cable boxes matter a lot more than fannies in the seat. Also, when Uconn was in the Big East, they sold out or were close to a sell out on a regular basis. This fan base has dealt with home games against Tulane, Tulsa, etc recently...I think they sell a hell of a lot more tickets against and Ok St. Games against OU and TX easily sell out. If there is something that CT likes, it's teams that win and playing name schools.

Reaction Score
I hope nobody actually believes we'll upgrade to 60k + seats. 48-50k is the sweet spot.

Reaction Score
It is unfortunately how many opposing team fans you bring in to fill up the stadium. I have no metics on this, but distance is a large variable.

Hopefully its just a money grab for the Big 12, and QUESTIONABLY Uconn is the best school available on ANY metric.

I fully expect a ACC invite or all is lost.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think if a conference says 60k is a condition for admittance, we upgrade to 60k.

If that were a requirement, I think we'd have enough Boneyarders that would volunteer to put hard hats on, learn how to erect support columns, attach steel rebar and pour concrete. In fact, I think we could guarantee a full work crew on a moment's notice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom