Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Key tweets, and it's all gone to Hell.

Reaction Score
ACC should take UConn, UL and UC because I suspect there will be further defections from the ACC in the future. This also forces the hand of the Big 12/SEC. Might as well get it all over with now.

Reaction Score
ACC should take UConn, UL and UC because I suspect there will be further defections from the ACC in the future. This also forces the hand of the Big 12/SEC. Might as well get it all over with now.

How does the ACC taking 3 teams instead of one force anyone else's hand exactly? There are no teams that anyone else wants that aren't already locked up.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
It might be a hard sell for either UConn or Louisville alone to get the 14th spot. But to tell school presidents to split the pie into smaller pieces for three okay football programs and no really big ones (not that any are available) is probably a much harder sell. But as Katz implied, at this point maybe stuff doesn't need to make sense any more.

Reaction Score
Point taken, bl. I guess I assumed some secret desires on the part of the SEC/Big 12. Sorta like a hidden crush waiting for... Hell, I have a headache.

caw

Reaction Score
Realistically, Louisville's location (proximity to most bowl games) means that their fans will travel in much greater numbers than either a UConn (or a Syracuse). That counts for something, too. I have felt that you guys are the logical choice.

Kind of surprised that Louisville is getting the play it's getting. I kind of think this is already a done deal for UConn, based on their quiet posture in the media right now. Those who have an invite keep quiet; those who don't campaign in the press.

Does it though? Or at least, does it count for much? Serious question.

Let's say UL/UConn make a bowl. If UL fills the stands and UConn only fills half it's allotment, that's great for UL and all but does it mean much if the number of TV's watching at home is half that of UConn's (I don't know the exact numbers, but theoretically)? TV ad revenue could more than make up for any lost gate sales, I would think.

Of course you have a ton of other factors, but if TV is really running things, attendance doesn't really matter as long as the eyes are glued to the screens if they aren't at the park.

Reaction Score
It might be a hard sell for either UConn or Louisville alone to get the 14th spot. But to tell school presidents to split the pie into smaller pieces for three okay football programs and no really big ones (not that any are available) is probably a much harder sell. But as Katz implied, at this point maybe stuff doesn't need to make sense any more.

The best and most safe route to take for the ACC and ESPN is to take on UConn, Louisville, and Cincinnati, then renegotiate a slightly larger deal with espn so per school dollars go up a little and increase the buyout from 50 to 75-100 million. ESPN would increase the deal a little because if they don't, than schools will leave and the value of the conference may go down significantly. So in the long run ESPN will lose money from advertisers if they don't incentive the conference. Not sure about how easy it is to restructure the deal. Also, ESPN might just want to gamble that the ACC will stay in tact. They will lose that bet 95% of the time though. I'm sure my plan is too idealistic, but it seems to make a lot of sense.

Reaction Score
Point taken, bl. I guess I assumed some secret desires on the part of the SEC/Big 12. Sorta like a hidden crush waiting for... Hell, I have a headache.

Pour yourself three fingers and sit tight. Here's a tidbit of info: Things are either going to change, or stay the same.

I hope our football players aren't paying attention to this mess the way the boneyarders are. BL's got year end stuff to do, and I think he's gone from 3k to 4k in posts in 24 hours. We need focus, b/c I want to kick the crap out of Louisville and continue to save this season.

Reaction Score
I had a key tweet today:

Louisville fan: @TheWildEagle38: Arguing between UConn and UofL for the ACC spot is so dumb it shouldn't even be a ? Yes they have good men's and women's bball but what else

My response: @mattmang23: @TheWildEagle38 start w/ 2x the market size, proximity to NYC & Boston and student body that wouldn't be rejected from CT community colleges
Looks like he deleted your response.

Reaction Score
Awwww he didn't like things that make sense.
You should tell him we also have national titles in soccer and field hockey and they are only 4-3 against us in football. Louisville should just go to the Big 12. The Big East was a huge help to Louisville. But we were in the Big East way before. Would be nice if people would return favors.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
You should tell him we also have national titles in soccer and field hockey and they are only 4-3 against us in football. Louisville should just go to the Big 12. The Big East was a huge help to Louisville. But we were in the Big East way before. Would be nice if people would return favors.

Lol look at his prior tweets. He's touting their baseball and soccer teams. I wanted to respond to that also but I figured one response tweet was all he was worth.

Reaction Score
@DanWolken: Not a single school that left C-USA wants to go back. In worst case scenario they'd form something else.

Reaction Score
Arguing with L'ville folks about which program is better is useless banter. There is no question that UConn and L'ville are the two most complete athletic programs in the BE and are better total athletic programs than many in the larger conferences. Rutgers made a decision to throw all their eggs into the Shiano basket and spend boatloads of money on football while other sports floundered and academic programs were cut. They took much criticism for that pathway, but the B1G bailed them out and they are patting themselves on the back now.

I am very proud of UConn's total package and hope there is value in strong men's and women's olympic sports. However, what this will come down three factors
1) just like the Rutgers decision by the B1G, UConn offers a larger TV audience which will be expanded as the Boston market embraces a true NE rivalry,
2) There is regional appeal for the ACC with 'cuse and BC. Once BC gets over their paranoia they will find that having UConn in their conference is a positive for TV coverage in the Boston area and for recruiting in both football and basketball. Loisuville would be a major outlier in the ACC from a geographic standpoint, with the best potential rival being Pitt
3) Most importantly, UConn has a far stronger academic reputation that is only getting better. UConn has been moving up in ratings in the past 5 years and shows no signs of slowing. Louisville would be a huge drop in ACC academic standards. UConn is a flagship university that fits the ACC mold to perfection. Louisville will always be second in Kentucky regardless of on field success.

Reaction Score
I think we need a thread that is a repository of key tweets.

Now there's an oxymoron.

>90% of what's being tweeted is people making up crap/giving their opinions

Reaction Score
Be relentless on twitter with these cretins. Fact after fact.

Louisville has a 22% graduation rate, it is a commuter college, its student body profile is two standard deviations away from the ACC's and UConn's

Addition of UConn offsets the isolation of BC, Cuse and Pitt with the Big 10 taking MD and Rutgers;

Not only is Hartford-New Haven market #30, but UConn is the only tristate team to actually have a cable contract with a NYC based network (sNY),

Nate Silver (I'm to the right of attila the hun so don't give me grief on this guy) says that UConn with 618,000 fans versus Louisville with 300,000

UConn's football recruiting ranking for 2013 is light years ahead of Louisville's, even with PP
#54 v #73. Louisville is being outrecruited by Southern Miss and Tulane

Louisville currently has a DIRTY recruiter Clint Hurtt that provides the pipeline from south florida that has given Strong his success. Clint Hurtt will be gone after this year when the NCAA crushes Miami. That has been why Louisville has been successful. Does the ACC want any part of this with what is going on at Miami and UNC. UConn's APR problems end this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations/news?slug=ys-clint_hurtt_allegations

"According to summary documents acquired by Yahoo! Sports, Shapiro told federal agents in taped interviews that on two occasions, he paid for Hurtt to bring large groups of Hurricanes football recruits to dinner at Miami Beach restaurant Café Grazie."

Reaction Score
The best and most safe route to take for the ACC and ESPN is to take on UConn, Louisville, and Cincinnati, then renegotiate a slightly larger deal with espn so per school dollars go up a little and increase the buyout from 50 to 75-100 million. ESPN would increase the deal a little because if they don't, than schools will leave and the value of the conference may go down significantly. So in the long run ESPN will lose money from advertisers if they don't incentive the conference. Not sure about how easy it is to restructure the deal. Also, ESPN might just want to gamble that the ACC will stay in tact. They will lose that bet 95% of the time though. I'm sure my plan is too idealistic, but it seems to make a lot of sense.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes... The best move the ACC can make, basically their only long-term hope. Arguing over petty differences among the three will be perilous. Take them all. NO ONE from SEC, B1G (or Pac, of course) is coming to ACC; highly unlikely any BigXII comes to ACC. The 2012 Big East is the "best of the rest", and UConn, Louisville, and Cincinnati are "the best of the 2012 Big East".

I would be stunned if it happened.

Reaction Score
Does it though? Or at least, does it count for much? Serious question.

Let's say UL/UConn make a bowl. If UL fills the stands and UConn only fills half it's allotment, that's great for UL and all but does it mean much if the number of TV's watching at home is half that of UConn's (I don't know the exact numbers, but theoretically)? TV ad revenue could more than make up for any lost gate sales, I would think.

Of course you have a ton of other factors, but if TV is really running things, attendance doesn't really matter as long as the eyes are glued to the screens if they aren't at the park.

You forget the power of the bowl people. There is a TON of money made from tourism at all these cities; that's why there are so damn many of them now, and that is why the bowls haven't just gone away in favor of a straight up playoff system. And the bowl people want 35,000 people in the stands - and in the hotels, and bars and restaurants of the host city; not 1/10 of that number. It's not all about TV, although TV is obviously huge.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
Hah, I replied to Pete Thamel, we'll see if he responds..

@SIPeteThamel
One TV exec floats idea of a coast-to-coast hoops league. Could that be future of Big East hoops? My @sinow story. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/11/20/Big-East-realignment/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a2 …

@junglehusky
@SIPeteThamel Your comparison of UL vs. UConn athletics is lazy conventional wisdom. Have you checked head-to-head record in football?

@junglehusky
@SIPeteThamel How about number of times UConn finished ahead of UL in the Big East?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I, too, will observe the power of the bowl and alter my state of mind so I can stop thinking of conference realignment.

caw

Reaction Score
You forget the power of the bowl people. There is a TON of money made from tourism at all these cities; that's why there are so damn many of them now, and that is why the bowls haven't just gone away in favor of a straight up playoff system. And the bowl people want 35,000 people in the stands - and in the hotels, and bars and restaurants of the host city; not 1/10 of that number. It's not all about TV, although TV is obviously huge.

Yes, but they have almost zero influence in realignment (relative to TV at least).

I agree that UL is probably a more favored pick for bowl games, is a bowl person going to tell any ACC team, "we won't take an ACC team if you take UConn over UL." I doubt it, highly.

Reaction Score
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes... The best move the ACC can make, basically their only long-term hope. Arguing over petty differences among the three will be perilous. Take them all. NO ONE from SEC, B1G (or Pac, of course) is coming to ACC; highly unlikely any BigXII comes to ACC. The 2012 Big East is the "best of the rest", and UConn, Louisville, and Cincinnati are "the best of the 2012 Big East".

I would be stunned if it happened.

IMO...I love the premise, but it won't happen because:

1. Requires forward thinking on behalf of the ACC leadership

2. Leaves ACC with 17 basketball teams due to ND partial membership. It seems less than ideal to have uneven divisions of 9 and 8. (Perhaps add Georgetown as basketball only, but then the ACC is headed toward a path that ruined the Big East.)

Reaction Score
But for argument's sake...the football divisions do line up quite nicely. The football centric southern schools that don't want to play road games in the cool northeast autumn air would be happy that they travel to BC/CUSE/PITT/UCONN only once every five years for each.

ACC

North: Boston College, Cincinnati, Connecticut, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, Virginia Tech
South: Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Wake Forest

Reaction Score
Andy Katz@ESPNAndyKatz
OK. Cleared my head after a workout. Maybe ACC should take both UConn and Louisville. We're past the point of odd numbers mattering.

junglehusky

Reaction Score
A conversation on twitter about a possible national bball conference if the catholics don't split, actually very similar sounding to some of HFD's western targets (UNM, Fresno added to the NNBE (ex-CUSA) minus UConn... you could probably assume UL leaving for the B12). Not sure if this is just twitter people tossing ideas around, or if some of the schools involved are also tossing ideas around. they probably can't do anything till they know what's up with UConn/Louisville and whether the catholics are going to split or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom