Kevin Ollie | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like Shaka Smart and he has shown an ability to get his teams to show up on the big stage and compete.......having said that is he willing to come here? Can he live in the shadow and survive yet? These are as much of an unknown as KO I believe.........and Shaka may well be on his own if he comes here......no one knows how the fraternity will react especially the big man........we know how they will consistently react with KO!!

He was as public as he could get about wanting to coach here (i.e. leaks of his interest in the job if it opened up).

Reaction Score
And any time a school gives a coach who turns out to be lousy a 4 year deal they risk descending into irrelevance. Or at least having a horrid 4 years.

A 1 year deal with the low expectations we have coming into this year is not "barely a shot at success". It's a pretty darn good shot at success as far as I can see.

I firmly believe KO's going to get this thing done, but let's see him coach an actual game before he gets a multi-year contract.

Honestly, I can't believe this point is being debated.

You can always fire a coach. Plenty of schools do.

This is preparing to fail. The AD doesn't trust the coach. What more needs to be said?

Reaction Score
This thread is so tough as I get all the views and ideas on "what's next and what should be next"?

Problem is what what upstater is pointing to......all in or not?? If they make a change they lose recruits and start all over and can the program come back without the support of THE coach in the background?

It will play out but the now time is the critical time.......

Reaction Score
Firing the coach costs $. Kevin Ollie didn't have issues recruiting under the issue of JC's possible retirement.

Also, you have to consider the fact that Kevin Ollie is a UConn hero. Firing him would really sour the fan base, even if it is the right thing to do. I'm sure there is an active effort to protect Ollie's image here so that if this experiment ends horrifically that he and the university can save face.

Reaction Score
The timing of JC's retirement makes it impossible to get out at this stage, so I think you have to at least give the appearance of being "all in".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
A person who does not want Ollie as the coach said it best already in this thread. Either you go all in, or you get out. Half measures WILL result in failure.

Recruits can sniff this situation out from a mile away. The AD is not sold on the coach.

Good luck to UConn basketball.

So what option did JC leave them then? As I said, I would have made Hobbs the interim coach. He'd likely take it as a chance to showcase himself for a job elsewhere. I don't see how any intelligent person could be "sold" on Ollie, as he has no coaching history of any kind. What would your "out" look like? Who would be the coach? It's too late for a search. Somebody has to have a one year deal at this point, whoever it is.

Reaction Score
So what option did JC leave them then? As I said, I would have made Hobbs the interim coach. He'd likely take it as a chance to showcase himself for a job elsewhere. I don't see how any intelligent person could be "sold" on Ollie, as he has no coaching history of any kind. What would your "out" look like? Who would be the coach? It's too late for a search. Somebody has to have a one year deal at this point, whoever it is.

1. JC knows more about basketball than Manuel.
2. He thinks Ollie is the man.
3. Making Hobbs the interim coach would go over like a lead balloon with the people you don't want to piss off.
4. Ollie has backers all over the USA who have seen what his advice, mentoring, impact on teaching the game to younger players, has brought over a span of 13 years in the NBA. You diminish that time he put in. People are making out as though this guy rolled off a beach chair and became a college coach 2 years ago, when one could easily argue that 13 years in the NBA on the back of your knowledge of the game (certainly not your athletic prowess) trumps sitting on the bench for more years. Billy Donovan, for instance, had 2 years at Marshall before taking the helm at Florida. Why do those two years (no tournaments, no conference championships, middling to bad record) trump 13 years being a heady player in the NBA?

I've only said this a number of times. The school is signalling to recruits that the coach is not supported and that they are not convinced he is good enough to coach.

Reaction Score
Firing the coach costs $. Kevin Ollie didn't have issues recruiting under the issue of JC's possible retirement.

Also, you have to consider the fact that Kevin Ollie is a UConn hero. Firing him would really sour the fan base, even if it is the right thing to do. I'm sure there is an active effort to protect Ollie's image here so that if this experiment ends horrifically that he and the university can save face.

It costs $$ at other schools too. This is a bigtime basketball.

Reaction Score
1. JC knows more about basketball than Manuel.
2. He thinks Ollie is the man.
3. Making Hobbs the interim coach would go over like a lead balloon with the people you don't want to piss off.
4. Ollie has backers all over the USA who have seen what his advice, mentoring, impact on teaching the game to younger players, has brought over a span of 13 years in the NBA. You diminish that time he put in. People are making out as though this guy rolled off a beach chair and became a college coach 2 years ago, when one could easily argue that 13 years in the NBA on the back of your knowledge of the game (certainly not your athletic prowess) trumps sitting on the bench for more years. Billy Donovan, for instance, had 2 years at Marshall before taking the helm at Florida. Why do those two years (no tournaments, no conference championships, middling to bad record) trump 13 years being a heady player in the NBA?

I've only said this a number of times. The school is signalling to recruits that the coach is not supported and that they are not convinced he is good enough to coach.
I think the school is covering it's recent AD and President hires. Have to make it look like they are still in charge.

Reaction Score

Forget it, these pinheads will NEVER get it. They think we should give a coach with zero head coaching experience a 4 year deal. What can you say to that? They live in dream world where the 1990 team had higher rated recruits and that this team is so devoid of talent it has no chance to succeed and, therfore, Ollie has no chance to succeed. I hope to god no players from our team or potential recruits are reading this crap. The 1990 team had decent talent and great team chemistry which, in part, was created by the coaching staff. Calhoun himself had to change his coaching approach as he got more talented teams but Calhoun circa 1990 absolutely could have won a ton of games with this collection of kids. We have a top 10 recruit surrounded by lots of other Top 100 and Top 50 recruits. We had great teams with the likes of Travis Knight as our center. Rod Sellers was 6'9" tall, had a bad knee and wasn't super talented. What were Chris Smith and Tate George rated coming out of high school?

I don't think anyone could coach this collection of players to a national championship but could a good coach win a lot of games with them? ABSOLUTELY! But because these whining cry babies didn't get their way, they feel like it is their duty to trash the team, trash the AD, trash the university president and make assumptions about the AD's confidence in the new coach. If any recruit is reading this board, THESE PINHEADS are doing more damage to our recruiting than a one year contract is. And we don't even know what Manuel or Herbst are saying to recruits. They could be telling them that they assume Ollie will do a great job and that their plan is to extend his contract to a long term one once he proves that they are right. They could be telling them that this is why he is not being termed as an interim coach.

Personally, I think this team will have a very good year. I honestly have no idea how good of a coach Ollie will be. He could be mediocre or he could be great. I hope he is great and, if he is, this team will surprise a lot of people. And he recruited a lot of these kids. He is not a stranger coming in so there is little chance of mutiny or resistance. They will rally around him. To say Ollie is being set up for failure is sour grapes to the point of being assinine. The decision has been made and the team will make the best of it. So why don't you guys shut the duck up and move the duck on already. This program needs positive energy and support, not this crap. I would be willing to bet that Ollie himself would tell you guys the same exact thing if he read what you are all writing.

caw

Reaction Score

I doubt the amount Ollie will be paid in two years (if the contract had been two years) would equal the amount Calhoun made in one. Money absolutely should not have been an issue.

If it ends up that Ollie truly only has 1 year on the contract, it is a huge mistake by Manuel, huge. I don't think a four year deal is warranted, but two surely is. A buyout is doable if Ollie sucks his first year, and I mean like DePaul level suckage.

I wonder what Ollie's record has to be to get an extension?

Either way if there is a national search, it has to be done as soon as the regular season ends and be completed within a few weeks of the national championship game, if not sooner.

If they don't have either Ollie extended for multiple years or a new coach by mid-April, or very early May at the latest, Manuel should be fired.

Reaction Score
I think the school is covering it's recent AD and President hires. Have to make it look like they are still in charge.

I think there may be some truth to this. It's hard for me to see a scenario where Ollie doesn't justify getting an extention. We probably won't win 20 games, but how many would Calhoun win with this roster? But I'd be shocked if the team doesn't play hard for him, I'd be shocked if he is anything other than an incredibly positive face of the program in the media and community, I'd be shocked if recruits don't continue to gush over him, I'd be shocked if the current players don't fully support him, and I'd be shocked if Ollie's inexperience from a strategic coaching standpoint isn't at least partially offset by the fact that we have one of the most experienced stables of assistant coaches in the entire country.

If Warde wants Shaka or Sean Miller badly enough and those guys want to come here, then I can see going in that direction. But short of that, I don't see Ollie "failing" tragically enough in this one year scenario to warrant the axe.

Reaction Score
Frankly we just don't know what we're getting with Kevin. But come on, how can we actually know? We had no idea how this would all turn out 26 years ago and everything worked out better than ANY of us hoped. Every coaching option out there comes with uncertainty whether it's Shaka or someone else from a larger program. There are no sure things today in CBB and we should know that. Kevin, while being the only viable option on 9/13, is a gamble just like anyone else. The one year contract is not ideal but if he has the support of the university, players, and fans and puts together a solid on court product, he will be rewarded with an extension during the season or at the end- I'm pretty sure Warde knows that.

If anyone can perform in a one-year pressure cooker, it's KO. Now let's do our job and support our new coach.

Reaction Score
I doubt the amount Ollie will be paid in two years (if the contract had been two years) would equal the amount Calhoun made in one. Money absolutely should not have been an issue.

If it ends up that Ollie truly only has 1 year on the contract, it is a huge mistake by Manuel, huge. I don't think a four year deal is warranted, but two surely is. A buyout is doable if Ollie sucks his first year, and I mean like DePaul level suckage.

I wonder what Ollie's record has to be to get an extension?

Either way if there is a national search, it has to be done as soon as the regular season ends and be completed within a few weeks of the national championship game, if not sooner.

If they don't have either Ollie extended for multiple years or a new coach by mid-April, or very early May at the latest, Manuel should be fired.

Like many people said, it doesn't matter the record. It's going to matter more about if there are improvements made, if he can show that he can relate to the kids as a coach instead of an assistant (who are notoriously closer to kids, especially the ones they recruit), and if he can keep a positive outlook at this new challenge.

Reaction Score
Forget it, these pinheads will NEVER get it. They think we should give a coach with zero head coaching experience a 4 year deal. What can you say to that? They live in dream world where the 1990 team had higher rated recruits and that this team is so devoid of talent it has no chance to succeed and, therfore, Ollie has no chance to succeed. I hope to god no players from our team or potential recruits are reading this crap. The 1990 team had decent talent and great team chemistry which, in part, was created by the coaching staff. Calhoun himself had to change his coaching approach as he got more talented teams but Calhoun circa 1990 absolutely could have won a ton of games with this collection of kids. We have a top 10 recruit surrounded by lots of other Top 100 and Top 50 recruits. We had great teams with the likes of Travis Knight as our center. Rod Sellers was 6'9" tall, had a bad knee and wasn't super talented. What were Chris Smith and Tate George rated coming out of high school?

I don't think anyone could coach this collection of players to a national championship but could a good coach win a lot of games with them? ABSOLUTELY! But because these whining cry babies didn't get their way, thsfeel like it is their duty to trash the team, trash the AD, trash the university president and make assumptions about the AD's confidence in the new coach. If any recruit is reading this board, THESE PINHEADS are doing more damage to our recruiting than a one year contract is. And we don't even know what Manuel or Herbst are saying to recruits. They could be telling them that they assume Ollie will do a great job and that their plan is to extend his contract to a long term one once he proves that they are right. They could be telling them that this is why he is not being termed as an interim coach.

Personally, I think this team will have a very good year. I honestly have no idea how good of a coach Ollie will be. He could be mediocre or he could be great. I hope he is great and, if he is, this team will surprise a lot of people. And he recruited a lot of these kids. He is not a stranger coming in so there is little chance of mutiny or resistance. They will rally around him. To say Ollie is being set up for failure is sour grapes to the point of being assinine. The decision has been made and the team will make the best of it. So why don't you guys shut the duck up and move the duck on already. This program needs positive energy and support, not this crap. I would be willing to bet that Ollie himself would tell you guys the same exact thing if he read what you are all writing.

Hey Huskymoronic, the only pinhead around here is you and the proof was with your comparison of 99 to this years team............just for instance we have potentially 3 Dan Cyruliks on this team!!! LOL....you don't know so it doesn't matter.......not too many people are saying this is the end all or the answer FOR SURE but you need to show some confidence to gain some respect from the recruits by at least looking like you're all in........you're just blind to reading anything because you're a idiot!!.............not sure who the duckk you think you are??

Reaction Score
Hey Huskymoronic, the only pinhead around here is you and the proof was with your comparison of 99 to this years team............just for instance we have potentially 3 Dan Cyruliks on this team!!! LOL....you don't know so it doesn't matter.......not too many people are saying this is the end all or the answer FOR SURE but you need to show some confidence to gain some respect from the recruits by at least looking like you're all in........you're just blind to reading anything because you're a idiot!!.............not sure who the duckk you think you are??

If you are going to call anoyone a moron, you might want to make sure you get your rant straight, pinhead. I said 1990, not 1999. And if you think that team was more talented, you are hopelessly clueless and I take solace in you thinking I am a moron. The fact that you think an unproven coach should get a 4 year deal, well, more proof. The fact that your vagina was injured by me pointing out your idiocy, tough...grow a couple spanky.

caw

Reaction Score
If you are going to call anoyone a moron, you might want to make sure you get your rant straight, pinhead. I said 1990, not 1999. And if you think that team was more talented, you are hopelessly clueless and I take solace in you thinking I am a moron. The fact that you think an unproven coach should get a 4 year deal, well, more proof. The fact that your vagina was injured by me pointing out your idiocy, tough...grow a couple spanky.

Not saying either of you are morons but his 1999 was clearly a typo as he referenced Dan Cyrulik.

Just saying.

Also the four year deal is a bit much but surely a one year deal is as moronic.

Reaction Score
You just can't sign a largely unproven Ollie to more than a one year deal in a top tier program. Calhoun's timing left them with no options. Ollie can earn the job, as long as his worth is not measured in wins and losses.

Reaction Score
I think Kevin Ollie is going to do great. And, any .... ANY ... comparisons to Bill Guthridge is just absolutely ... (to use the word) ... MORONIC.

Reaction Score
You just can't sign a largely unproven Ollie to more than a one year deal in a top tier program. Calhoun's timing left them with no options. Ollie can earn the job, as long as his worth is not measured in wins and losses.

Don't be naive. Ollie can't earn a job that has quite obviously been promised to someone else.

Reaction Score

I meant 90.......and you began calling everyone pinheads which is just so mature since you do know this is a board of opinion? Or are you that stupid?

Anyway 90 was twice as good as the product they are going to put out there this year s relax with your solace. You are a dope when it comes to hoops and it is clear now........Sellers was better than anyone returning on the frontline, Burrell was also, Cyrulik was typical of what we may have this year without improvement, serviceable. Tate and Smitty? Think you can clearly see they had more impact on defense than Boat and Bazz and clearly both had good years offensively (if you actually watched?).....Henefeld was the difference.....you see a player with his mind, bball intellect out there anywhere? Gwynn coming off the bench as well as Murray and Lyman a defensive stopper........guess Spanky's a lot smarter than you from what I can see.....enjoy!!

Reaction Score
Not saying either of you are morons but his 1999 was clearly a typo as he referenced Dan Cyrulik.

Just saying.

Also the four year deal is a bit much but surely a one year deal is as moronic.

Agreed on 4 yrs but thought with 2 guaranteed would be okay? But 2 at least to get it going and get a proving ground........

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Listen up buddy, President Herbst wasn't hired to freaking run the athletic program and what she has done thus far with UConn has been nothing short of amazing.

No one should call for Herbst retirement due to anything athletically related unless it's something on the scale of PSU or other NCAA sanctions that goes over multi-sports.
I'm not your buddy, pal.

I'm not calling for her retirement at all. I'm just saying that she hasn't done anything to earn my trust yet. Going forward, I'm hoping that she will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom