Kevin Ollie | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Can you spell his freakin' name right?!

Other than that, great post. Hope he gets at least 2 years.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Obviously the real story is losing a Hall of Fame coach. But I want to say that I am on the Kevin Ollie Bandwagon, I am drinking KO Kool-Aid, and I am excited about the future of UConn Men's Basketball. Nervously excited. But excited.

Reaction Score
COURANT SPORTS ALERT: Courant confirms Calhoun leaving UConn; Ollie to step in, Karl Hobbs promoted to assistant. http://cour.at/RMN4FX *Txt STOP UCONNMB 2quit

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I must have missed it....what is the source that KO has been named HC?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
moving forward

Reaction Score
What narrative seems more like 5 years from now?

1) Calhoun shoehorns his hand-picked, inexperienced choice into the job; nepotism backfires

2) Ollie is a coaching prodigy and despite minimal experience, excels at the job

It seems like there are a lot more ways for #1 to turn out to be correct.

Reaction Score
I'm with nomar and I am and will drink the KO Kool Aid too........mentioned here after my son went to 2 KO camps at Loomis Chaffee and heard KO's words of wisdom and the way he spoke to the kids it was just a matter of time......he will be real good!!!

Reaction Score
What narrative seems more like 5 years from now?

1) Calhoun shoehorns his hand-picked, inexperienced choice into the job; nepotism backfires

2) Ollie is a coaching prodigy and despite minimal experience, excels at the job

It seems like there are a lot more ways for #1 to turn out to be correct.
Unfortunately, I agree with this.

We just gotta roll with the punches, though.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm KO supporter all the way. I wouldn't be fit to lick the shoes of JC if I started out with a defeatist attitude. I'm not sure I can admire someone like JC and come away thinking negatively. That wasn't his attitude.

Reaction Score
i heard they're negotiating contract right now. ollie wants 3 years, manuel does not.

Reaction Score
Courant says Ollie's contract has language that is a middle ground between interim and permanent HC. what else is there?

Reaction Score
i heard they're negotiating contract right now. ollie wants 3 years, manuel does not.
If we're hiring the guy, gotta give him 3-4 years, no? He has to coach with some of his "own" players.

I don't love the move. Worse than the move, though, is not diving in and giving the guy a real chance. If you're going with Ollie, you don't merely stick your toes in the water.

Reaction Score
Ollie =calhoun stays apart of the program to mentor him... shaka like coach mean calhoun plays 18great holes ever other day

Reaction Score
Ollie =calhoun stays apart of the program to mentor him... shaka like coach mean calhoun plays 18great holes ever other day
Frankly, though, it seems best if, when he retires, he retires. He's a figurehead whose ring every incoming coach needs to kiss, but then they move onto autonomy. I don't like this "in-between" phase. Ollie's the coach, or he's not.

(To be clear, they do need to respect him and his legacy.)

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't like seeing a coach with less than 3 years on their deal. It makes that coach a target in recruiting. Ollie won't cost that much, so why not give him 3-4 years?

Reaction Score
If we're hiring the guy, gotta give him 3-4 years, no? He has to coach with some of his "own" players.

I don't love the move. Worse than the move, though, is not diving in and giving the guy a real chance. If you're going with Ollie, you don't merely stick your toes in the water.
per uconnblog ollie will sign 1 year contract...

Reaction Score
per uconnblog ollie will sign 1 year contract...
That is unequivocally bad. What could he do this year to "succeed"? It's a down year.

If they bring him back after, it's silly to have only given him one year when he can't really prove anything.

If they're hoping to bring in Shaka (who I'd love to have in theory), this isn't the way to do it. JC may have played his hand in a way that is constraining, but he is UConn. Alienating him alienates Smith, the two Marshalls, Allen, Butler, Moore, Freeman, Okafor, Gordon, Kemba, etc. Those people are the program's lifeblood going forward.

I don't like the way things are going right now.

To be fair, though, I've also had nearly a whole bottle of wine. I'm way too invested in this.

Reaction Score
We have NO choice but to get behind and fully support KO. He has larger than life shoes to fill and being hand-picked by one of the all-time greats just adds to the pressure. A lot of these situations where the long time head coach hires an his assistant tend not to work out, but in Calhoun I trust and have a good feeling about this one. Let's not skip a beat Coach O.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
IF YOU HAVE A TWITTER, SEND KO A TWEET 2NIGHT!

everyone send him tweets of encouragement and support. it starts with the diehards and the the casuals and students. lead and they will follow. the school and program is going to need its diehard fanbase now more than ever this fall between everything going on in fball and bball. do your part! from buying tix, to sending tweets to bumper stickers, it all matters.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
A one year contract kills any momentum he would have for recruiting.

Reaction Score
Smart move by the AD. If the athletic department was in fact strong armed into Ollie, why would you go longer? This is a temp to perm situation. Is he being handed a bad bag of goods? Kinda. But that should be recognized, it will be relative. His leadership ability will be challenged as well as his X & O's. No one even knows how this guy looks/act/handles that bench during game time - that's a risk. Going 3-4 years is blind faith. Sure, it may ding recruiting a little, but not much. And if he really doesn't pass the sniff test out there owning that bench, you have to open this one up. I just don't think this program is in a place where it can take a 4 year rut and maintain momentum with it's brand out on the recruiting trail. This isn't a true blue blood that can transcend a stretch of anonymity, in particular in a league that's in dissaray. The kid is getting his chance, he needs to make the most of it. I'll be in his corner, but am not going to have blinders on if he feels sub par out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom