Kevin Ollie | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
1. JC knows more about basketball than Manuel.
2. He thinks Ollie is the man.

So what? JC has said he's "often wrong but never in doubt".

Reaction Score
So what? JC has said he's "often wrong but never in doubt".

Jim Calhoun may be Ollie's loudest supporter, but he's hardly the only one. If you've been following the coverage of him today and in recent weeks, there aren't too many people (who actually know him) who don't think the guy has what it takes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you've been following the coverage of him today and in recent weeks, there aren't too many people (who actually know him) who don't think the guy has what it takes.

Believe me, I've been reading the coverage. It was the work of a master.

Reaction Score

Adrian Wojnarowski hates Calhoun's guts(as the Nate Miles investigation showed) and he raved about Ollie and spoke of the the jobs waiting for him in the OKC Thunder organization. I guess that was stringpulling by Calhoun as well, huh?

Reaction Score

Numerous articles from several different websites in the last two days bashing Calhoun, but yet in your dream world he's such a media darling that he can convince writers to universally shower Kevin Ollie with undeserved praise.

Reaction Score
Forget it, these pinheads will NEVER get it. They think we should give a coach with zero head coaching experience a 4 year deal. What can you say to that? They live in dream world where the 1990 team had higher rated recruits and that this team is so devoid of talent it has no chance to succeed and, therfore, Ollie has no chance to succeed. I hope to god no players from our team or potential recruits are reading this crap. The 1990 team had decent talent and great team chemistry which, in part, was created by the coaching staff. Calhoun himself had to change his coaching approach as he got more talented teams but Calhoun circa 1990 absolutely could have won a ton of games with this collection of kids. We have a top 10 recruit surrounded by lots of other Top 100 and Top 50 recruits. We had great teams with the likes of Travis Knight as our center. Rod Sellers was 6'9" tall, had a bad knee and wasn't super talented. What were Chris Smith and Tate George rated coming out of high school?

I don't think anyone could coach this collection of players to a national championship but could a good coach win a lot of games with them? ABSOLUTELY! But because these whining cry babies didn't get their way, they feel like it is their duty to trash the team, trash the AD, trash the university president and make assumptions about the AD's confidence in the new coach. If any recruit is reading this board, THESE PINHEADS are doing more damage to our recruiting than a one year contract is. And we don't even know what Manuel or Herbst are saying to recruits. They could be telling them that they assume Ollie will do a great job and that their plan is to extend his contract to a long term one once he proves that they are right. They could be telling them that this is why he is not being termed as an interim coach.

Personally, I think this team will have a very good year. I honestly have no idea how good of a coach Ollie will be. He could be mediocre or he could be great. I hope he is great and, if he is, this team will surprise a lot of people. And he recruited a lot of these kids. He is not a stranger coming in so there is little chance of mutiny or resistance. They will rally around him. To say Ollie is being set up for failure is sour grapes to the point of being assinine. The decision has been made and the team will make the best of it. So why don't you guys shut the duck up and move the duck on already. This program needs positive energy and support, not this crap. I would be willing to bet that Ollie himself would tell you guys the same exact thing if he read what you are all writing.

One of the most deranged posts in the history of the Boneyard.

Impute things to others that were never said, and then go off on a screed against a strawman.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Numerous articles from several different websites in the last two days bashing Calhoun, but yet in your dream world he's such a media darling that he can convince writers to universally shower Kevin Ollie with undeserved praise.

That's the work of a master. He has people believing that all this praise is just spontaneous.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That's the work of a master. He has people believing that all this praise is just spontaneous.
Just so we are clear on the record here: You are betting against Kevin Ollie's success as our next head coach, correct?

Reaction Score
I'm not your buddy, pal.

I'm not calling for her retirement at all. I'm just saying that she hasn't done anything to earn my trust yet. Going forward, I'm hoping that she will.

I'm not your pal, friend.

Spoken like a UConn sports fan and not a fan of the university. If you actually read up on what she's done (that is, if you actually care about UConn) then she most definitely should have earned your trust by now.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
1. JC knows more about basketball than Manuel.
2. He thinks Ollie is the man.
3. Making Hobbs the interim coach would go over like a lead balloon with the people you don't want to piss off.
4. Ollie has backers all over the USA who have seen what his advice, mentoring, impact on teaching the game to younger players, has brought over a span of 13 years in the NBA. You diminish that time he put in. People are making out as though this guy rolled off a beach chair and became a college coach 2 years ago, when one could easily argue that 13 years in the NBA on the back of your knowledge of the game (certainly not your athletic prowess) trumps sitting on the bench for more years. Billy Donovan, for instance, had 2 years at Marshall before taking the helm at Florida. Why do those two years (no tournaments, no conference championships, middling to bad record) trump 13 years being a heady player in the NBA?

I've only said this a number of times. The school is signalling to recruits that the coach is not supported and that they are not convinced he is good enough to coach.

Dean smith thought bill gutheridge was the man. Just saying. I love KO, had classes with KO and was one of the few other Californians at UCONN when KO was there. I couldn't be more solidly in his camp but I think warde made the right call with the 1 year contract

Reaction Score
I'm not your pal, friend.

Spoken like a UConn sports fan and not a fan of the university. If you actually read up on what she's done (that is, if you actually care about UConn) then she most definitely should have earned your trust by now.
Considering that I graduated from UConn 3 years ago, I'm obviously interested and care about the university as a whole. Please don't question my allegiance.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nice quote by TO re KO from today's Courant:

Said Tyler Olander: "He's very much like Coach Calhoun. Their methods of getting their points across are just different. Coach Ollie is probably the most positive person I've ever met, and he's helped me with all aspects of life, in school, my personal life and especially on the court. He's always pushing everybody to go that much further and get that much better. … Nothing could knock him down that he won't get up from."

Reaction Score
Dean smith thought bill gutheridge was the man. Just saying. I love KO, had classes with KO and was one of the few other Californians at UCONN when KO was there. I couldn't be more solidly in his camp but I think warde made the right call with the 1 year contract

It's a valid point.
But Ollie isn't Guthridge.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just so we are clear on the record here: You are betting against Kevin Ollie's success as our next head coach, correct?

Where did you get that from? He's the coach of my favorite team in any sport, the team where W and L's get to me more than any other. Ollie's my guy now. I've been talking about the process here and those that think that JC didn't choreograph the whole thing starting from way back are nuts. And speaking of nuts, I think it's more important for the program overall that the new AD is left with his nuts on than to worry about what a couple of teenagers think.

Reaction Score

Why are you so negative? Sure KO has never been a HC, but shouldn't we all wait and see in the next 7 months where every move and actions will be scrutinized?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Where did you get that from? He's the coach of my favorite team in any sport, the team where W and L's get to me more than any other. Ollie's my guy now. I've been talking about the process here and those that think that JC didn't choreograph the whole thing starting from way back are nuts. And speaking of nuts, I think it's more important for the program overall that the new AD is left with his nuts on than to worry about what a couple of teenagers think.
I inferred that because you have been so consistently negative about anything that hints of JC's control, always assuming that he has the least noble and most insidious of intentions. You consistently fault those who support Calhoun as blind followers. Your view seems to overlook that most of us are simply fans who appreciate that Calhoun, while certainly imperfect, may just have a method to his madness, and it may not be as selfish as you think. You have stated repeatedly that this was JC's selfish, egotistical power play to ensure his death grip on the program and thus his legacy by keeping it in the family. I'll agree that that is one possible read of the situation; but I'll also admit readily that neither I nor any of us mutton heads who post here really know the truth. I remained somewhat skeptical about Kevin's ability to take over, despite all the glowing reviews from pretty much everyone who has ever encountered the man, because I needed to see it for myself. Now I have, and I am sold. I am going on record and saying I believe in this kid and I now believe that Calhoun made this power play not because he wanted to retain control over the program, but because he genuinely feels that Kevin is special and has a better ability and chance to succeed here than any other realistic option. You are saying let's wait and see the results. That's certainly your prerogative, and there are many who feel the same as you, including Warde Manuel. I think there is a huge difference between having the conviction to say you believe versus being a Doubting Thomas. And I believe that the success of our program is in large part attributable to people who took the former route, rather than the latter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I inferred that because you have been so consistently negative about anything that hints of JC's control, always assuming that he has the least noble and most insidious of intentions. You consistently fault those who support Calhoun as blind followers. Your view seems to overlook that most of us are simply fans who appreciate that Calhoun, while certainly imperfect, may just have a method to his madness, and it may not be as selfish as you think. You have stated repeatedly that this was JC's selfish, egotistical power play to ensure his death grip on the program and thus his legacy by keeping it in the family. I'll agree that that is one possible read of the situation; but I'll also admit readily that neither I nor any of us mutton heads who post here really know the truth. I remained somewhat skeptical about Kevin's ability to take over, despite all the glowing reviews from pretty much everyone who has ever encountered the man, because I needed to see it for myself. Now I have, and I am sold. I am going on record and saying I believe in this kid and I now believe that Calhoun made this power play not because he wanted to retain control over the program, but because he genuinely feels that Kevin is special and has a better ability and chance to succeed here than any other realistic option. You are saying let's wait and see the results. That's certainly your prerogative, and there are many who feel the same as you, including Warde Manuel. I think there is a huge difference between having the conviction to say you believe versus being a Doubting Thomas. And I believe that the success of our program is in large part attributable to people who took the former route, rather than the latter.

I think this is pretty fair assessment of my attitude except for the way you go to extremes. I don't get this line "I think there is a huge difference between having the conviction to say you believe versus being a Doubting Thomas." JC isn't god and blind faith is no way to run a program. I will say my instincts concerning the BB program have been correct for over 30 years. I was touting JC for the head coaching job on the Boneyard of it's day (WTIC sportstalk) before Northeastern was on the schedule. Once he got here, I knew early he was the right guy. I was quoted in the Courant saying as much. I knew it when it was time to leave and said so while most folks were saying he would be here 2 more years. And now I'm saying that JC put the AD on the spot and the AD came through it as well as anyone could have. That doesn't mean I'm anti-Ollie. No one will be happier than me if KO is a huge success. UConn basketball is my team.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't get this line "I think there is a huge difference between having the conviction to say you believe versus being a Doubting Thomas." JC isn't god and blind faith is no way to run a program.

There is a difference between blind faith and instincts based on observations, including observations of others who appear to be in position to know better than I do. I am saying that I am willing to give Calhoun the benefit of the doubt as to his motives now that I have had the chance to observe Kevin in this role. That's my instinct. I am not Warde Manuel. I am not running a program and I do not have to answer to anyone for my choice. Your wait-and-see approach makes it easy for your instincts to be right. You've been saying it was time for Calhoun to leave for a lot longer than your post a few weeks ago predicting that he would; and you were far from alone or prescient in that prediction. And your penchant for harboring conspiracy-theory grudges and analyzing everything through that backward lens seems to be a strange way to support the forward movement of a program whose success depends in large part on sustaining an enthusiastic and supportive fan base. Constructive criticism? Have at it. Your grudges appear to me to be neither constructive nor critical, but rather based solely on your constant suspicions of Calhoun's motives.

If I was Warde Manuel, I would have done everything exactly the same, except I would have made it a two-year deal because I believe that is a time-tested and well-honored compromise made by class, confident people and organizations in these situations. The Maras, owners of the New York Giants, come to mind as an example of that. It has no downside, and only upside imo. It is so little to give up for so much potential gain here.

Reaction Score
Warde just needs to sit back and relax...coach calhoun will make this as seamless as possible...calhoun will be there 24/7 for ollie and there is no way this program is going anywhere but up...coach calhoun is still with the program and he is not going to let anything happen...he's probobly on a flight to the acc headquarters with his sleeves rolled up...we are in good hands...and ill tell you guys one thing...dont be surprised if the other players donate alot of $$$$$$$. Especially with a good friend of thiers at the helm...they want him to succeed as well and the way i perceive the uconn family...the nba alums will truly help out.

WOOOHOOO!!!!

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Is this the optimal situation? No... but I think this isn't a horrible compromise. I mean look, it's clear Kevin Ollie isn't the ADs guy. If he was he'd have a four year deal... but I think by not attaching the dreaded interim tag on KO he's extending him a fair amount of respect.

I think a little too much is being made of the one year deal thing. This season was going to be written off anyway, and if Calhoun retired next March you'd be in the exact same situation you'll be if you decide by March that KO isn't the guy. You'd still have to do a coaching search. You still would have to wait until after the NCAA tournament to get anyone most likely anyway... unless you got an assistant from somewhere... and I can't see that happening. Recruiting would take a hit no matter what.... it gives KO a chance to earn the job. If he's even reasonably successful with all the crap stacked against him then KO will force the matter.

Quite frankly I think this will all be decided either way by February. If Manuel doesn't have this worked out by April or just gives Ollie another one year deal then I'll jump all over the guy...

It sucks a bit all around... but it is what it is. I personally believe that KO is going to be the coach this time next year with a long term contract.

Reaction Score
I think this is pretty fair assessment of my attitude except for the way you go to extremes. I don't get this line "I think there is a huge difference between having the conviction to say you believe versus being a Doubting Thomas." JC isn't god and blind faith is no way to run a program. I will say my instincts concerning the BB program have been correct for over 30 years. I was touting JC for the head coaching job on the Boneyard of it's day (WTIC sportstalk) before Northeastern was on the schedule. Once he got here, I knew early he was the right guy. I was quoted in the Courant saying as much. I knew it when it was time to leave and said so while most folks were saying he would be here 2 more years. And now I'm saying that JC put the AD on the spot and the AD came through it as well as anyone could have. That doesn't mean I'm anti-Ollie. No one will be happier than me if KO is a huge success. UConn basketball is my team.

If people would just relax and stop making this so personal they would see that the Calhoun transition was going to be tough and messy no matter what the AD did. Someone, like usual, was not going to be happy with the decision and/or the details of the decision. Some people wanted a 4 year deal, some wanted 3, some wanted 2, some wanted the deal he got, some wanted no deal and the interim tag with a definite coaching search after the season. No matter what happened, a lot of people were going to disagree with it. But I'm pretty sure we all want whoever is in charge to succeed. I think most of us are big enough fans that our love of UConn basketball is far greater than our ego and desire to be "right" about what "should" have been done. I find it almost impossible to believe anyone on this board wants Ollie to fail. Just because they might be OK with the 1 year deal and someone else isn't, that doesn't mean the person who is OK with it hates Ollie.

Your post, Waquoit, reminds me of something my father said during the infamous NIT championship season. He was battling cancer and watched a lot of sports on TV to pass the time, and I'm sure, to distract himself from his situation. He was watching a UConn game during one of the times I was back home from UConn and told me that Calhoun was going to be successful and that UConn was going to become very good. That wasn't a "great" team by any stretch but he could see how good of a coach Calhoun was by how much he got out of the talent he had. He died the following fall and never got to see how right he was. I really believe we will know if Ollie is the right guy for this program by the end of the season and probably well before then. And I trust that Manuel and/or those close to him will know as well.

As far as outsiders are concerned, a lot of them want Ollie to fail and want UConn to fall into obscurity. That goes for a lot of people in the media (Calhoun's best buddies;)), umess fans, PC fans, cuse fans (though I don't know why), BC fans, puke fans, Kentucky fans and so on. There have been a lot of discussions as to whether or not UConn is a "blueblood" and whether or not we can survive a bad coach or two like UNC did, for example. We could go on forever debating what a "blueblood" is but I thought about what might be the key to bouncing back like UNC did versus dieing like UNLV did. I think the key might simply be longevity. How long were you good for. UNLV wasn't good for long enough. You can't just be good for a handful of years. I think you have to be good for an entire generation. This allows the love for the program to be fully passed down to the next generation. It also allows for those who were students when it all started to become wealthy and influential enough to carry the team through the tough times and refuse to let it die. I would say a generation is about 25-30 years so we are probably good in that regard. It also helps when the university is a real institution of higher learning and/or one that isn't totally destroyed by scandal. I don't see either the APR stupidity or the Nate Miles extra phone calls and texts as being able to destroy a program that has had 25+ years of success. UConn is no UNLV nor is Calhoun a Tarkanian. The point of all this is that we will be fine whether Ollie succeeds or he fails, whether he stays long term or doesn't and, if he doesn't, whether his successor is successful or not. I think this program is on solid enough footing to survive even two shaky regimes. People need to relax and stop being so upset by the whole one year deal thing and how it will affect recruiting this year. We will be fine.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The point of all this is that we will be fine whether Ollie succeeds or he fails, whether he stays long term or doesn't and, if he doesn't, whether his successor is successful or not. I think this program is on solid enough footing to survive even two shaky regimes. People need to relax and stop being so upset by the whole one year deal thing and how it will affect recruiting this year. We will be fine.
Chip? Is that you?

Reaction Score
If you like what KO stands for, take the stairs, NOT the escalator, to Twitter and follow him. You'll see how he works hard every day, from 5am workouts to hitting the recruiting trail. Boneyard, how fast can we get him to 10,000 followers???

Reaction Score
Considering that I graduated from UConn 3 years ago, I'm obviously interested and care about the university as a whole. Please don't question my allegiance.

Then you wouldn't be throwing Herbst's name around like a pawn. Seriously, that's something everyone on this board needs to freaking learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom