Kevin Ollie | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie

Reaction Score
This is an excellent summary of the situation. A few takeaways:
- In future, they should seriously consider redshirting players like Enoch and Durham that just aren't ready to contribute. Failure to redshirt them meant that when each player (Durham, Enoch) realized he would benefit from a redshirt year, there was no penalty to a transfer. With over 300 D1 programs, they can easily imagine there is a better fit for them. If each had redshirted as a freshman, he'd probably still be here. These transfers really disrupt roster strategy, especially when they come in bunches at the end of the year.
KO has to reconsider his willingness to leave roster spots open. Coming down to an 8-person roster 4 months before the start of fall classes is a miscalculation of historic proportions.

I agree that redshirting Enoch and Durham would have made sense if we had a full compliment of players. Unfortunately, leaving 2 ships unfilled prevented this from happening. However you slice it, leaving those roster spots open was a mistake.

Reaction Score
I agree that redshirting Enoch and Durham would have made sense if we had a full compliment of players. Unfortunately, leaving 2 ships unfilled prevented this from happening. However you slice it, leaving those roster spots open was a mistake.

How do you think Enoch and Durham would have felt about redshirting?

I know they are effectively redshirting now but I'm talking about before the season.

It would not have gone over well, especially for Durham who hadn't played for 2 years.

Come to think of it, Durham will have played very little basketball over the previous 4 years when he finally steps on the court. Hard to be in good form when you've spent a majority of 4 years not playing in games.

Reaction Score

I know they are effectively redshirting now but I'm talking about before the season.

It would not have gone over well, especially for Durham who hadn't played for 2 years.

Come to think of it, Durham will have played very little basketball over the previous 4 years when he finally steps on the court. Hard to be in good form when you've spent a majority of 4 years not playing in games.

By transferring, both Enoch and Durham will get a redshirt year which is what I think they both need. If they had stayed at UConn, redshirting would have been difficult as it is rare for a high level college basketball player to redshirt in the middle of their college career if there isn't an injury.

I know we are all frustrated by all of the roster turnover, but neither Enoch or Durham have showed that they are college basketball impact players. Neither could earn significant minutes this season on a UConn team that was desperate for serviceable big men.

I think when you are recruiting high school big men, you are willing to take risks with scholarships. Enoch was a raw big and Durham was an injured big that doesn't seem to have fully recovered from his injuries. End of the day, it just didn't work out for them at UConn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I'm going to be brutally honest here: I don't think any player rated higher than the bottom of the 3 star range would have any interest in redshirting. This isn't football. Neither of these two would have redshirted. It's not about missing a year when they transfer, it's about their ego. These kids can barely stand to be told they are coming off the bench.

Here is my prediction for where D1 college ball is going. UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas and maybe one or two others will be able to land top 5* kids each year and have 4* kids who sit until they are ready. The rest of the kids will increasingly go where they will start sooner and play more. The next level programs, like UConn and many others, will have less talent than they have traditionally. The next level down from that, Seton Hall, Alabama, Cal, etc. will get better. It will be very variable. It looks to me like 4* kids don't want to have to compete with other 4* kids and they are willing to go to St. Joes, or Lasalle, or Rutgers if that's what it takes. We see it with transfers now, but I think it will creep into recruiting from the outset.

Reaction Score
I'm going to be brutally honest here: I don't think any player rated higher than the bottom of the 3 star range would have any interest in redshirting. This isn't football. Neither of these two would have redshirted. It's not about missing a year when they transfer, it's about their ego. These kids can barely stand to be told they are coming off the bench.

Here is my prediction for where D1 college ball is going. UK, Duke, UNC, Kansas and maybe one or two others will be able to land top 5* kids each year and have 4* kids who sit until they are ready. The rest of the kids will increasingly go where they will start sooner and play more. The next level programs, like UConn and many others, will have less talent than they have traditionally. The next level down from that, Seton Hall, Alabama, Cal, etc. will get better. It will be very variable. It looks to me like 4* kids don't want to have to compete with other 4* kids and they are willing to go to St. Joes, or Lasalle, or Rutgers if that's what it takes. We see it with transfers now, but I think it will creep into recruiting from the outset.

I think you are right about this.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I believe the plan was to redshirt Durham until the roster was so depleted that we had more of an "all hands on deck" approach.

I thought Juwan himself didn't want to redshirt, which is why he didn't.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Which makes it even more critical to find and develop those quality four year guys. A good 4 year guy is worth more than a 5* one and done. Especially late in the tournament.

Reaction Score
KO

images

Reaction Score

I think Avery Johnson is killing it at Alabama. This years class is ridiculous. Johnson & Co. stock through the roof. Last years class with Key was the start of something special at good ole Bama. Sexton & Petty...not to mention a couple other under the radar goodies will make this team one of the most fun teams in America. Beat SC twice last year and return everyone. Avery is such a likesble dude.

Reaction Score
In this era you aren't landing many AAU all-stars if you start red shirting regardless of whether they would or would not benefit. The occasional guy or someone returning from injury? Sure. But if you told Enoch or Durham you would redshirt them they would be playing elsewhere. This ain't football where 90% or more red shirt.

Reaction Score
As far as Ollie goes, he is exactly what I thought he'd be. Utterly unprepared for the job. I didn't think he had put in the effort as an assistant/lower level head coach to truly learn the business. But here's the thing. I wanted a different head coach BECAUSE I WANT UCONN TO SUCCEED. I think the program is in the worst mess it's seen since Perno's final year. Ollie is a very nice guy. As I said elsewhere he could very well be a good NBA coach. But the UConn job is not one where you should get to use training wheels.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
As far as Ollie goes, he is exactly what I thought he'd be. Utterly unprepared for the job. I didn't think he had put in the effort as an assistant/lower level head coach to truly learn the business. But here's the thing. I wanted a different head coach BECAUSE I WANT UConn TO SUCCEED. I think the program is in the worst mess it's seen since Perno's final year. Ollie is a very nice guy. As I said elsewhere he could very well be a good NBA coach. But the UConn job is not one where you should get to use training wheels.

Does winning a national championship in his second season count as succeeding? Asking for a friend

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Durham made it clear he wasn't redshirting. KO's hands were tied.

Reaction Score
Does winning a national championship in his second season count as succeeding? Asking for a friend
Well, since he inherited most of the players who contributed to that run, coupled with the last three years of mediocrity and two missed tourneys, sprinkled with the dumpster fire we find ourselves in currently, the strength of that argument has weakened substantially. Sure, it counts for something. But judging on where UConn is now, it will become increasingly more difficult to rest all of his success on that magical 3 week run. Of note, even prior to that run, the team was mediocre. In other words, over five years, that three week Run appears to be the outlier.

Reaction Score
djct1994 summed it up pretty well. When you look at the whole body of work, from recruiting to won-loss record, especially when it came time to replace Calhoun's recruits, he has not succeeded. He is on the clock.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Ollie's record with his first recruiting class is 93-51.

Ollie's record since Shabazz left is 61-43.

Ollie's record in AAC play is 42-30.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As far as Ollie goes, he is exactly what I thought he'd be. Utterly unprepared for the job. I didn't think he had put in the effort as an assistant/lower level head coach to truly learn the business. But here's the thing. I wanted a different head coach BECAUSE I WANT UConn TO SUCCEED. I think the program is in the worst mess it's seen since Perno's final year. Ollie is a very nice guy. As I said elsewhere he could very well be a good NBA coach. But the UConn job is not one where you should get to use training wheels.

I think the statue of limitations on "I told you so's" are a few years or winning a National Title, whichever comes first.

Most everyone was enamored with Ollie in his first two seasons. He's shown he can coach. The last three seasons and in particular this season were not up to standard.

I don't know what changed, but regardless of if Ollie has back to back under 500 seasons and we go a different way, I think it's tough to call it a failure given that National Titles don't grow on trees.

P.S. If I recall you were all about Shaka too? How's that working out for Texas?

Reaction Score
I think the statue of limitations on "I told you so's" are a few years or winning a National Title, whichever comes first.

Most everyone was enamored with Ollie in his first two seasons. He's shown he can coach. The last three seasons and in particular this season were not up to standard.

I don't know what changed, but regardless of if Ollie has back to back under 500 seasons and we go a different way, I think it's tough to call it a failure given that National Titles don't grow on trees.

P.S. If I recall you were all about Shaka too? How's that working out for Texas?

The guy you're responding to savaged Ollie in 2014. And then after he won the NC, he disappeared. The previous poster should forever shut up.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The guy you're responding to savaged Ollie in 2014. And then after he won the NC, he disappeared. The previous poster should forever shut up.

I know I'm on one end of the spectrum when it comes to KO and his future here, but I think I can at least have a reasonable discussion on the topic.

Simply ignoring the great things he's done here does no good for any discussion. Conversely, ignoring the decline is being willfully blind as well.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yikes
What's even scarier is that since Shabazz left, Ollie's OOC record is 22-15.

Wins: Bryant, Dayton, CofC, Coppin State, Columbia, CCSU (x2), Florida, Maine, UNH, Furman, Michigan, Syracuse, Sacred Heart, Ohio State, UMass Lowell, Texas, Georgetown, Loyola Marymount, Chaminade, BU, North Florida.

Losses: WVU, Texas, Yale, Duke, Stanford, Syracuse, Gonzaga, Maryland, Wagner, Northeastern, OK State, Oregon, Ohio State, Auburn, Georgetown.

Reaction Score
I still think Shaka would have been a good choice for the UConn job. Just a good fit. His 2 years at Texas were 1 good and 1 bad so far. We'll see where he goes from there.

There are a few great coaches who can be really successful anywhere. Anybody doubt that Calhoun would be successful pretty much anyplace? On the other hand there are guys who are just the right fit. Rollie Massimino is an e ample. Great coach at Villanova. Basically flamed out at UNLV and Cleveland State. You see it all the time where a coach has success in one place them moves andnever quite clicks

Reaction Score
I still think Shaka would have been a good choice for the UConn job. Just a good fit. His 2 years at Texas were 1 good and 1 bad so far. We'll see where he goes from there.

There are a few great coaches who can be really successful anywhere. Anybody doubt that Calhoun would be successful pretty much anyplace? On the other hand there are guys who are just the right fit. Rollie Massimino is an e ample. Great coach at Villanova. Basically flamed out at UNLV and Cleveland State. You see it all the time where a coach has success in one place them moves andnever quite clicks
So a coach who just finished 11-22 deserves more respect than a national championship winning coach who in his worst yr did better than that. All your credibility is officially lost

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom