Kevin Ollie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rollie had a weird career. He was never a great coach - he had some very good years early at Nova and he had the '85 title. But after that, he wasn't really all that effective and Nova was happy to move him on.

UNLV was a disaster off the court - the UNLV prez concocted some scheme to pay Rollie more than what they were reporting and that is what got him fired in his second year. Cleveland State was just a dumpster fire - bad teams, arrests, drugs, violations. Really a disaster.

But the guy is still coaching! He's like 80-something and he's been killing it for a decade at some NAIA school in Florida.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ollie's record with his first recruiting class is 93-51.

Ollie's record since Shabazz left is 61-43.

Ollie's record in AAC play is 42-30.

This makes perfect sense. As I've said before, that's what happens when you don't have a stud, experienced point guard in MCBB. This is a pretty simple concept to grasp. Possible to win without it, but not common.

And some semblance of supporting cast. We got the experience stud next year; hopefully there's enough of the supporting cast left to get it done.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Rollie had a weird career. He was never a great coach - he had some very good years early at Nova and he had the '85 title. But after that, he wasn't really all that effective and Nova was happy to move him on.

UNLV was a disaster off the court - the UNLV prez concocted some scheme to pay Rollie more than what they were reporting and that is what got him fired in his second year. Cleveland State was just a dumpster fire - bad teams, arrests, drugs, violations. Really a disaster.

But the guy is still coaching! He's like 80-something and he's been killing it for a decade at some NAIA school in Florida.

Really? Damn, I could of sworn he was dead. That's amazing.

Reaction Score
This makes perfect sense. As I've said before, that's what happens when you don't have a stud, experienced point guard. And some semblance of supporting cast. We got the experience stud next year; hopefully there's enough of the supporting cast left to get it done.
I'm thinking we have 2 stud point guards next season, plus Vital's outside shooting, so our cupboard is not exactly bare in that area.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I'm thinking we have 2 stud point guards next season, plus Vital's outside shooting, so our cupboard is not exactly bare in that area.

Technically yes, but don't discount experience. I put that word in there for a reason. Look at Kemba as a freshman vs junior. Even soph vs junior. Same thing for Bazz. Totally different players.

The only guys who were legit out the gate were KEA and Doron. And Doron was an older dude coming in.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Technically yes, but don't discount experience. I put that word in there for a reason. Look at Kemba as a freshman vs junior. Even soph vs junior. Same thing for Bazz. Totally different players.

The only guys who were legit out the gate were KEA and Doron. And Doron was an older dude coming in.
A lot of Kemba's confidence and experience came from practicing against the USA FIBA Team in the summer preceding his junior year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think the program is in the worst mess it's seen since Perno's final year. Ollie is a very nice guy. As I said elsewhere he could very well be a good NBA coach. But the UConn job is not one where you should get to use training wheels.

No, it was in far, far worse straights in 2011/12.

And Shaka was more experienced, but from what I've seen, doesn't appear to be better.

Reaction Score

If Jalen and Gilbert can hit the 3 which I think they can, we have a devastating backcourt next year. They are both already very good on the midrange and can get to the rim or dish. Larrier can do it all including rebounding so with a couple more pieces we can be talented.

pj

Reaction Score
If we get Waters, Williams and a little depth, and if things gel, this can be a very exciting team next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom