Kevin Ollie | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I'm sure some of you will be pissed that I created another Ollie thread, but I think it's important because seemingly every thread lately, no matter what the topic is, is turning into a clash of a "Fire KO" crowd vs "Everything is Fine" crowd.

Is it possible that some of us really badly want KO to succeed because we love KO, but if he keeps underperforming, perhaps it is understandable that decisions have to be made by AD Dave?

I don't understand why people make it out to be that you either hate KO/want him out, or you love him and want him to stay, like it's so black and white.

I love KO, and I really think he deserves a pass (for now) from last season due to injuries.

However, if we see minimal to no improvement next season with a healthy squad, then last year, and the losses to Wagner and Northeastern were no flukes.

I'm not going to sit here and act like I know the answers to "Who should coach this team?" and if we could even get someone better than KO, but some of you act like it's blasphemous to even consider KO's job if the team is bad again next year.

I'm sure there are many loons on here who are on either extreme of the spectrum (either hating KO and wanting him out or thinking that he has earned his job for eternity), but I would guess that the majority of the board loves KO, wants him to succeed, but understands that if the team is bad again next year then his job should be considered. I'm sure AD Dave is 10 steps ahead, considering what to do if things continue to go awry.

From now until March 2018, it's all eyes on KO. This is the biggest make or break season for the program I have ever seen. But I wouldn't be surprised to see KO let go if the team underperforms again. AD Dave seems like the kind of guy to make big, difficult and controversial decisions, as he did with the football team this year.

And for the record, if KO turns it around next year, surprises some people, and makes noise late in the season, then that will be the best thing he's done with the program, right up there with the national championship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You're right. We don't need another Ollie thread. Of course we want him to succeed, but in the end most fans love the program more than the individual........this program feels like it's at a crossroads. Judging from the past few years and highlighted by the last few months, we are going in the wrong direction.

Reaction Score
Finally some sanity. Lets let next year speak for itself, for better or for worse. Benedict has the tough choice. Not message board warriors.

Reaction Score
Its not only about effort, loyalty and commitment, but its also about results.

This program is not headed in the right direction, and the only two people that can turn it around are Ollie and/or Benedict.

Its that simple.

Reaction Score
Listen KO needs to get better there is no doubt. The team needs to get better, his staff needs to get better. Players need to get healthy and stay healthy. AD Benedict I believe will do the right things for the program and the fans I have no doubt. I believe most of us hope this thing turns around and immediately although it would seem to have a grim start to 17-18 as we see it.

The thing that bothers me the most is the many on here who I believe will get off on him having another sub par season. They are glad Harris didn't come here, hope like hell Waters stays at Georgetown and that all grad transfers head in the opposite direction of Storrs, CT.. Makes them proud and they can keep slamming everyone involved. They would prefer KO to fail and watch this team bring the program down in order to make their point and you know who you are out there, you're pitiful. UConn may not make it under KO, who's to say for sure? But if they do I would hope the ones who have targeted this guy without a whisper of anything positive, stay away and don't try to climb back on because we don't need you.

I'm not talking to the people who question KO and his ability, I know it's not fully answered. Many of you still have hope and many of you still hope he succeeds but there are still quite a few who would rather be right about their take than to see KO bring the program back to prominence. These are the ones who need to just stay the hell away when it does happen, or even I can say "if" it does happen.

Reaction Score
I agree that next year will be big for KO and the future of UConn basketball.
His biggest challenge will be finding players between now and next fall to replace the four players who will not be here. Not to mention the graduated seniors Purvis, Brimah, and whoever else I'm forgetting.

Reaction Score
Its not only about effort, loyalty and commitment, but its also about results.

This program is not headed in the right direction, and the only two people that can turn it around are Ollie and/or Benedict.

Its that simple.

How about the players?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Listen KO needs to get better there is no doubt. The team needs to get better, his staff needs to get better. Players need to get healthy and stay healthy. AD Benedict I believe will do the right things for the program and the fans I have no doubt. I believe most of us hope this thing turns around and immediately although it would seem to have a grim start to 17-18 as we see it.

The thing that bothers me the most is the many on here who I believe will get off on him having another sub par season. They are glad Harris didn't come here, hope like hell Waters stays at Georgetown and that all grad transfers head in the opposite direction of Storrs, CT.. Makes them proud and they can keep slamming everyone involved. They would prefer KO to fail and watch this team bring the program down in order to make their point and you know who you are out there, you're pitiful. UConn may not make it under KO, who's to say for sure? But if they do I would hope the ones who have targeted this guy without a whisper of anything positive, stay away and don't try to climb back on because we don't need you.

I'm not talking to the people who question KO and his ability, I know it's not fully answered. Many of you still have hope and many of you still hope he succeeds but there are still quite a few who would rather be right about their take than to see KO bring the program back to prominence. These are the ones who need to just stay the hell away when it does happen, or even I can say "if" it does happen.
I think the number of people hoping KO fails is smaller than you think. For example, I myself have been very critical of coach this offseason, to a point that it might come off as irrational. This happens right after getting bad news 5 straight times.

My point is, if you're a real UConn fan, you never want to see the team fail. However, some people just don't have anymore faith(not me, I still think we can win with what is left), and that doesn't make them worse fans than the people who keep believing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Well said. In that category of people who seem to be hoping he fails, are those who say he's "destroying UConn basketball". I want him to get every recruit and win every game. I'd love it if he became a HoF coach. That would be best for UConn and for all of us.

That being said, he isn't a great coach at the moment, and those who think he walks on water for leading us to a NC in 2014 need to open their eyes and face the reality of the body of his work. It is certainly deserving of some criticism.

Reaction Score
No one is hoping for him to fail. No one wants instability in the program, and having to fire a coach is the ultimate in instability. However, things are very unstable at the moment, so people are going to be on edge. Staff changes, players coming and going, a terrible season, all the uncertainty moving forward, etc. I can't imagine it being worse than this, but if it gets worse I am sure there will be people playing the "I told you so" card. Of course, if it gets better, you will see that also. Pretty standard message board stuff I think.

Reaction Score
What would have happened if Larrier, Diarra, and Gilbert were healthy? UConn would have won more games and my guess is that Enoch, Jackson, and Durham would have transferred and MAL would have had second thoughts about coming to UConn. Why? Let's go player by player:

Enoch: He was averaging 5 minutes per game before Larrier was hurt and wouldn't have played that much if both Larrier and Diarra were healthy. When he got his chance after Larrier's injury, he did not respond. He averaged 7.6 rebounds/40 minutes (not good for a player his size), shot 41% from he field, had 4 assists all season, and was a defensive liability. Clearly, he wasn't developing. Whether it was coaching, work ethic, or ability, Enoch clearly needs a change of scenery and he should benefit from a redshirt year.

Jackson: He averaged 11 minutes per game before Larrier went down and he probably would have been unhappy with his playing time. That said, he was a solid contributor on the team this season, but he would have had to accept a lesser role next year if Larrier is 100%. He seems to want to be a featured offensive player on a team and that wasn't going to happen at UConn, at least not next year.

Durham: Came to UConn with bad knees. Averaged 1 minute per game before Larrier was injured. Did not rebound well as he averaged 7.2 rebounds per 40 minutes, although he did seem to have a high basketball IQ. He may have developed over time, but it did not seem he was in line for major minutes next year unless he had a physical transformation. In my opinion, he really could use a redshirt year.

MAL: When he committed to UConn, it was possible that Adams could go pro after his sophomore year and Gilbert would be a sophomore. He would be probably be the #2 guard with no other guards in his class. By the end of March, he realized that Gilbert was now going to be in his same class, Adams wasn't going pro, and Vital was a pretty good guard. I don't blame his for considering his options.

Bottom line, I don't think the roster turnover is a big surprise. If Enoch was developing and he was staying and UConn won 5 or 6 more games this past season, I don't think anyone would have been concerned that Jackson and Durham were leaving and MAL decided to go elsewhere. Unfortunately, we could have a thin roster next year, but hopefully UConn will play with more toughness.

Reaction Score
I doubt there is a single fan here who is rooting for Ollie to fail, most of us love the guy. There does however seem to be a crowd that tells people they are not "real fans" if they question Ollie's coaching and stewardship of the program.

I think we all know which type on here needs to be questioned. If you can't find even a positive hint of anything I'm not sure you were really ever on board quite honestly and like it or not they are on here. No issues with "questioning" KO's abilities but harping on it day in day out and somehow relating it to every thread, well let's just say they know who they are. And I don't doubt there are those who would prefer their "agenda" met than success in recruiting you can feel the smiles in the Harris thread of some.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This year got an injury pass (though nothing can remove the stain of losing to NE and Wagner). The shadow of the APR ban and conference uncertainly are finally gone. There is no reason not to expect a stellar season next year.

Guy leaving is KO's problem. Managing your roster is job one of a Head Coach. Bring in suitable replacements, reload, and get it done. There are a hundred coaches that can come in here miss the NCAA and finish mid-pack in the AAC.

This shouldn't be a discussion any longer. KO will show if he is the right guy to lead this program.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It starts with the little things: from casual fans to those who bleed blue, the coming months are your time to work on apostrophes and commas.

Reaction Score
But if they do I would hope the ones who have targeted this guy without a whisper of anything positive, stay away and don't try to climb back on because we don't need you.

Good luck with that. KO was savaged in 2013 and most of 2014. Not nearly to this level. But when things turned around, it didn't go as you're imagining in your post.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
I'm sure some of you will be pissed that I created another Ollie thread, but I think it's important because seemingly every thread lately, no matter what the topic is, is turning into a clash of a "Fire KO" crowd vs "Everything is Fine" crowd.

Is it possible that some of us really badly want KO to succeed because we love KO, but if he keeps underperforming, perhaps it is understandable that decisions have to be made by AD Dave?

I don't understand why people make it out to be that you either hate KO/want him out, or you love him and want him to stay, like it's so black and white.

I love KO, and I really think he deserves a pass (for now) from last season due to injuries.

However, if we see minimal to no improvement next season with a healthy squad, then last year, and the losses to Wagner and Northeastern were no flukes.

I'm not going to sit here and act like I know the answers to "Who should coach this team?" and if we could even get someone better than KO, but some of you act like it's blasphemous to even consider KO's job if the team is bad again next year.

I'm sure there are many loons on here who are on either extreme of the spectrum (either hating KO and wanting him out or thinking that he has earned his job for eternity), but I would guess that the majority of the board loves KO, wants him to succeed, but understands that if the team is bad again next year then his job should be considered. I'm sure AD Dave is 10 steps ahead, considering what to do if things continue to go awry.

From now until March 2018, it's all eyes on KO. This is the biggest make or break season for the program I have ever seen. But I wouldn't be surprised to see KO let go if the team underperforms again. AD Dave seems like the kind of guy to make big, difficult and controversial decisions, as he did with the football team this year.

And for the record, if KO turns it around next year, surprises some people, and makes noise late in the season, then that will be the best thing he's done with the program, right up there with the national championship.
Well said

pj

Reaction Score
What would have happened if Larrier, Diarra, and Gilbert were healthy? UConn would have won more games and my guess is that Enoch, Jackson, and Durham would have transferred and MAL would have had second thoughts about coming to UConn. Why? Let's go player by player:

Enoch: He was averaging 5 minutes per game before Larrier was hurt and wouldn't have played that much if both Larrier and Diarra were healthy. When he got his chance after Larrier's injury, he did not respond. He averaged 7.6 rebounds/40 minutes (not good for a player his size), shot 41% from he field, had 4 assists all season, and was a defensive liability. Clearly, he wasn't developing. Whether it was coaching, work ethic, or ability, Enoch clearly needs a change of scenery and he should benefit from a redshirt year.

Jackson: He averaged 11 minutes per game before Larrier went down and he probably would have been unhappy with his playing time. That said, he was a solid contributor on the team this season, but he would have had to accept a lesser role next year if Larrier is 100%. He seems to want to be a featured offensive player on a team and that wasn't going to happen at UConn, at least not next year.

Durham: Came to UConn with bad knees. Averaged 1 minute per game before Larrier was injured. Did not rebound well as he averaged 7.2 rebounds per 40 minutes, although he did seem to have a high basketball IQ. He may have developed over time, but it did not seem he was in line for major minutes next year unless he had a physical transformation. In my opinion, he really could use a redshirt year.

MAL: When he committed to UConn, it was possible that Adams could go pro after his sophomore year and Gilbert would be a sophomore. He would be probably be the #2 guard with no other guards in his class. By the end of March, he realized that Gilbert was now going to be in his same class, Adams wasn't going pro, and Vital was a pretty good guard. I don't blame his for considering his options.

Bottom line, I don't think the roster turnover is a big surprise. If Enoch was developing and he was staying and UConn won 5 or 6 more games this past season, I don't think anyone would have been concerned that Jackson and Durham were leaving and MAL decided to go elsewhere. Unfortunately, we could have a thin roster next year, but hopefully UConn will play with more toughness.

This is an excellent summary of the situation. A few takeaways:
- In future, they should seriously consider redshirting players like Enoch and Durham that just aren't ready to contribute. Failure to redshirt them meant that when each player (Durham, Enoch) realized he would benefit from a redshirt year, there was no penalty to a transfer. With over 300 D1 programs, they can easily imagine there is a better fit for them. If each had redshirted as a freshman, he'd probably still be here. These transfers really disrupt roster strategy, especially when they come in bunches at the end of the year.
- Jackson just wasn't a good fit for Ollie's strategy. He prioritizes defense which puts a premium on athleticism which Jackson lacked. He prioritizes versatile positionless basketball which means the player has to be willing to take on every role -- for Jackson, defending inside as a stretch 4 -- which Jackson was unwilling to do.
- MAL I think was a good fit for UConn and they should have been able to sell him. It looks like Glen Miller handled the recruitment and when Glen left, the relationship with the rest of the staff wasn't good enough. I think they have to reconsider how they've handled recruiting. The Killings and Chillious hires seem to demonstrate that KO has known he needs to restructure the recruiting process.

Also KO has to reconsider his willingness to leave roster spots open. Coming down to an 8-person roster 4 months before the start of fall classes is a miscalculation of historic proportions.

Reaction Score
This is an excellent summary of the situation. A few takeaways:
- In future, they should seriously consider redshirting players like Enoch and Durham that just aren't ready to contribute. Failure to redshirt them meant that when each player (Durham, Enoch) realized he would benefit from a redshirt year, there was no penalty to a transfer. With over 300 D1 programs, they can easily imagine there is a better fit for them. If each had redshirted as a freshman, he'd probably still be here. These transfers really disrupt roster strategy, especially when they come in bunches at the end of the year.
- Jackson just wasn't a good fit for Ollie's strategy. He prioritizes defense which puts a premium on athleticism which Jackson lacked. He prioritizes versatile positionless basketball which means the player has to be willing to take on every role -- for Jackson, defending inside as a stretch 4 -- which Jackson was unwilling to do.
- MAL I think was a good fit for UConn and they should have been able to sell him. It looks like Glen Miller handled the recruitment and when Glen left, the relationship with the rest of the staff wasn't good enough. I think they have to reconsider how they've handled recruiting. The Killings and Chillious hires seem to demonstrate that KO has known he needs to restructure the recruiting process.

Also KO has to reconsider his willingness to leave roster spots open. Coming down to an 8-person roster 4 months before the start of fall classes is a miscalculation of historic proportions.

With Harris not coming here and the days ticking away, is it alright to be worried about the future. Its not about bashing or supporting......what if someone gets injured next year???

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I believe the plan was to redshirt Durham until the roster was so depleted that we had more of an "all hands on deck" approach.

pj

Reaction Score
I believe the plan was to redshirt Durham until the roster was so depleted that we had more of an "all hands on deck" approach.

Mistakes often compound one another. Open roster spots plus bad nutrition/strength and conditioning defects leading to injuries plus recruiting unprepared players led to a situation where several players had a motivation to transfer at the worst time for the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom