Kevin Ollie is still screwed | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie is still screwed

Reaction Score
Seems he is still just throwing all the crap he can at the wall in the hopes that something will stick.

"The NCAA said the appeals committee upheld Ollie's punishment "because he included few or no arguments regarding overturning this penalty and failed to demonstrate that the Committee on Infractions abused its discretion by prescribing the penalty."

Reaction Score
The "scorched earth" policy KO has followed (at least partly due to the advice of his lawyers, but ultimately of his own doing) has done so much more damage to him than if he had just settled.

Yes, having to put your ego aside to make a deal you believe is unfair sucks. But now you see that the alternative can be so much worse. If he had just left and taken whatever deal was on the table, he would have been able to walk into an assistant's job in the NBA and been looking at a Head Coaching job in the not-too-distant future. Now? Maybe still possible (I've learned to almost never say never), but the chances are much less than before. Much less.

One of the saddest chapters to watch evolve during my 35 years as a UConn fan. Only the Tate George saga has made me close to this sad. And its not even over. I just wish someone could step in and tell him to cut bait, move on, and start to rehabilitate his image. At some point, it will matter...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally agree with @LStudfellow. It is incredibly sad. Scorched earth is right. He is also correct - never say never, but the chances of Ollie ever landing any type of job related to basketball is slim to none at this time.

I think Ollie probably knew that going in, or if he didn't he should have, but I think he felt that it was worth the risk... He probably thought if he could get several millions of $ out of the university (more than if he settled), it would have held him over financially till this became a distant memory and he was able to get a new job.

Instead, he's burnt every bridge related to UCONN, destroyed any goodwill from the fans, and created a scenario where his future prospects look bleak. Even worse now, the NCAA has rejected every argument he made which makes him look even worse, if that's possible.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him flipping burgers at McDonalds or something in the near future, unless he has enough savings to live off. And with all his legal fees, I doubt he has much savings left. I want to say I feel badly for the guy, but this is a mess of his own making.

Reaction Score
Getting the NCAA to overturn decisions of the NCAA is tough sledding. They are judge, jury and executioner.

The real question is when will KO come to his freakin' senses. He is still a relatively young guy. He is watching his years. I would advise him as Pontius Pilate advised Ben Hur. "A long life young Ollie... and the good sense to live it."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Totally agree with @LStudfellow. It is incredibly sad. Scorched earth is right. He is also correct - never say never, but the chances of Ollie ever landing any type of job related to basketball is slim to none at this time.

I think Ollie probably knew that going in, or if he didn't he should have, but I think he felt that it was worth the risk... He probably thought if he could get several millions of $ out of the university (more than if he settled), it would have held him over financially till this became a distant memory and he was able to get a new job.

Instead, he's burnt every bridge related to UCONN, destroyed any goodwill from the fans, and created a scenario where his future prospects look bleak. Even worse now, the NCAA has rejected every argument he made which makes him look even worse, if that's possible.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him flipping burgers at McDonalds or something in the near future, unless he has enough savings to live off. And with all his legal fees, I doubt he has much savings left. I want to say I feel badly for the guy, but this is a mess of his own making.
Although I am on the administration’s side of this fight, I still believe KO can find himself on an NBA bench as an assistant with one phone call.

It’s best for KO to admit defeat and move on with his life. Did he burn bridges? He sure did. But time heals. With some contrition and time, his relationship w the school and more importanty, the fan base can improve. in the end, he was a hell of a player for us and a pretty damn good coach the first few years. I think we all, probably even KO himself, want to erase his last years here. In the end,KO is family. Like any family member who messes up royally, with a proper apology and more so proper behavior, who are we not to give this guy some sort of second chance? At the very least, as an alum and a title winning coach. I wish this legal battle will end. Some day, I hope we can find a way to welcome KO back for the good he did. Some day, I hope we can forget the bad.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Ollie is a multi-millionaire. He'll be fine. Otherwise, I agree.

Reaction Score
Is it me or at this point does anyone else think his lawyers just want $ and will continue to push this as far as they possibly can so they can keep getting paid?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
If that is true then at some point maybe they'll realize they're spending money and time for a very low probability of a payment.
I posted this elsewhere, but they couldn't have mishandled this any worse. They continue losing leverage while their counterparty is being financially devastated and increasingly less likely to settle for a meaningful amount.

Reaction Score
Although I am on the administration’s side of this fight, I still believe KO can find himself on an NBA bench as an assistant with one phone call.
Do you really think this is the case with the scorched earth approach he took? If I'm a GM/Coach, his actions would make me VERY leery of hiring him. He would need to bring something to the table that no other potential candidate could. If things don't work out you know he is litigious...to the extreme.

If he filed a lawsuit as leverage and then quietly settled, I would agree with you. Now, he is damaged goods IMO.

C

Chief00

It’s best for KO to admit defeat and move on with his life. Did he burn bridges? He sure did. But time heals. With some contrition and time, his relationship w the school and more importanty, the fan base can improve. in the end, he was a hell of a player for us and a pretty damn good coach the first few years. I think we all, probably even KO himself, want to erase his last years here. In the end,KO is family. Like any family member who messes up royally, with a proper apology and more so proper behavior, who are we not to give this guy some sort of second chance? At the very least, as an alum and a title winning coach. I wish this legal battle will end. Some day, I hope we can find a way to welcome KO back for the good he did. Some day, I hope we can forget the bad.
Quite frankly, his current problem isn’t UConn - that bridge got burnt ages ago now. His current problem is no wise employer going to take on a stubborn, delusional guy that never quits trying to sue his former employer - and it’s all just a google away. Maybe a friend will hire him but he’s road kill in the open job market.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, his current problem isn’t UConn - that bridge got burnt ages ago now. His current problem is no wise employer going to take on a stubborn, delusional guy that never quits trying to sue his former employer - and it’s all just a google away. Maybe a friend will hire him but he’s road kill in the open job market.
That's the way I see it. I'm sure he still has plenty of friends in the NBA but the NBA is big business and they seriously vet whoever they hire. Once they dig into this I think anyone would steer clear, billionaire owners don't like delusional employees who are lawsuit happy.

Reaction Score
Do you really think this is the case with the scorched earth approach he took? If I'm a GM/Coach, his actions would make me VERY leery of hiring him. He would need to bring something to the table that no other potential candidate could. If things don't work out you know he is litigious...to the extreme.

If he filed a lawsuit as leverage and then quietly settled, I would agree with you. Now, he is damaged goods IMO.

Don't think nba teams care about this.

I think they do care about why he did such a bad job after the first 2 years, and the talk about him losing his passion and work ethic. I think he'd have to prove that's not an issue anymore. Don't think the lawsuit is an issue to nba teams.

C

Chief00

Don't think nba teams care about this.

I think they do care about why he did such a bad job after the first 2 years, and the talk about him losing his passion and work ethic. I think he'd have to prove that's not an issue anymore. Don't think the lawsuit is an issue to nba teams.
It’s more about future employers caring about taking on a potential legal liability. Most NBA coaches will be fired or terminated at some point - and here we go ago - no thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I hear you but the nba is all about friendship. He has them both on the court and on the sidelines in the association. Those allies side with him anyway. He is road kill in the college market, but not as convinced in the nba one.

Name one coach(besides Calhoun and Miller for obvious reasons) that is siding with the school and not the coach in this case. The idea that a billionaire owner would care one bit about this if his gm, head coach, and star player vouch for him is hilarious.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This is such a bad take. As much as you may dislike the man to make a comment like this is just pure trash.
Oh waaaaah. Get over yourself. After what he put UCONN and the men's program thru, I don't care if he crawls under a rock and never sees the light of day again.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Eric Hayward joins Tate George as a more unsettling story, but Ollie gets the bronze.

Reaction Score
If that is true then at some point maybe they'll realize they're spending money and time for a very low probability of a payment.

Or we can assume the rational, which is that his lawyers wouldn't be doing this if they thought their expected return didn't justify the amount of time they are putting into it. I mean, that's not metaphysically true but you'll make more money than you'll lose betting on lawyers knowing what is in their own financial interest.

Reaction Score
I don’t know about the NBA. I would guess some old pal would bring him on as a 3rd assistant at some point but I also wonder if Ollie doesn’t consider that beneath him. And hey if Pitino gets rehired with his off court resume and some of the other guys like the old St Johns coach can get jobs albeit at low level schools. I see no reason Ollie can’t land one at Florida A&M or somwwhere in a few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom