Kevin Ollie’s lawyers ask for depositions from NCAA president Mark Emmert and national search firm as contract dispute with UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie’s lawyers ask for depositions from NCAA president Mark Emmert and national search firm as contract dispute with UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's not true at all. His leverage comes from his protected status.

His argument isn't that he didn't break rules. It's that a white coach did the same (or worse) and didn't get fired.
I don't believe for a minute it had anything to do with race. UConn has ample evidence that the NCAA unfairly punished UConn in comparison to other programs, and that they had to act more severely than in the past. Ollie also lied to the NCAA and to UConn, something I don't think Calhoun ever did (or was caught doing).

That said, the fact a black man made him HC and a white man fired him and hired another white man to replace him only further complicates things. These facts matter in employment claims, to what extent varies, but they are facts that are taken under consideration.

The way-too-oversimplified version is "School allows white coach to cheat, but fires black coach for cheating, and replaces him with white man". Noting about that statement is false. Misleading of course, but it's a statement of fact.

On the surface, UConn looks awful (to the headline readers), while Ollie looks awful (to the arguably more informed people). I doubt whoever arbitrates this thing is as familiar with the nuance of the situation (or as biased) as we are. So the UConn legal team will have to make a strong argument, this isn't as open/shut as most of us would like, IMO. They shouldn't lose, but the Falcons should have never lost a 28-3 lead.
Gave a like for the Falcon analogy.

Reaction Score
This is correct...they're using violations as their legal case to not pay him but realistically, while I rooted for him to succeed bc he was a Uconn guy, the team was getting embarrassed every night. It was 99% performance related, 1% violations.
However, when a guy ends up with a 3 year show cause UConn’s decision is strongly supported. The notice of violations was out in Fall 2018 and the final penalties in Summer of 2019. The show cause indicates that Ollie’s violations are of a higher magnitude than anything Calhoun did which deflates the racial argument. Based on the punishment handed out Ollie would not have been able to fulfill his contractual obligations.

Reaction Score
While the AD technically gets credit for the hiring, Ollie was hand-picked as the successor by Calhoun himself. A white man. I think we all agree it has nothing to do with race. It seems to be the only angle left for Ollie to try and get something. It doesn’t appear to be working.

Reaction Score
It looks as if they're making a couple arguments:
1. The hiring of Hurley was in the works prior to Ollie's termination; and
2. Calhoun made the same type transgressions and he wasn't fired because he was white.

We don't know when Hurley's hiring process began and if it was started before Ollie was fired.

As to Calhoun skating for the same type violations, that could be true, but he may not have been in violation of the terms of his contract. As I recall, coaching contracts were strengthened as a result of some of the violations that occurred under Calhoun and the new contracts (including Ollie's) include tougher standards of conduct and harsher penalties for violations.
Employers always have discretion When it comes to disciplining employees at least within reason. And people always have discretion in terms of enforcing terms of a contract.

Reaction Score
I’ve always felt that both sides should’ve settled on half the money or somewhere around that. Seems like Ollie and his team wouldn’t budge at all and neither would UConn. Someone needs to shut this down long before next season.

Reaction Score
I’ve always felt that both sides should’ve settled on half the money or somewhere around that. Seems like Ollie and his team wouldn’t budge at all and neither would UConn. Someone needs to shut this down long before next season.
Honestly, I think our fears about this thing dragging on and hurting the program were overblown. Hurley and staff have recruited well, we’re headed back to The Big East and are gaining national respect again as performance improved. If a few former players who made tens of millions but didn’t give back to the school hold a grudge, so be it. The more this drags on, the only reputation being further destroyed is Ollie’s.

C

Chief00

The thing is KO had more settlement leverage before his attorneys started a smear campaign. The thing about saying pay us more or we will make a mess in the press, (even if you don't go full Avenatti with it and end up in jail) is that once you make a mess in the press your leverage is gone. That's where team KO is right now. They don't have a lot of leverage left, maybe none at all at this point.
So true, and somehow the deposition of Mark Emmett puts pressure on UConn? He banned him from college coaching, so how could he collect on his contract?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chief00

Can you imagine the deposition of Kevin Ollie himself? I would love to see that, or at least read the transcript.

I actually hope it doesn't get that far.
Thats the card the university may ultimately play and it may quickly settle the whole thing.

Reaction Score
So Calhoun wasn’t the driver in hiring KO?
Agree w/Chief..JC went to the wall for KO.. Did everything he could to leverage his own good will with the University to get KO hired..Pulled it off.. Ball was then in KO's court to perform on that opportunity..After 2014 season.. Didn't work out too well.. Looking forward to a successful 2020 season and new Tournament stories..

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nothing per se to do w/ Calhoun's violations: The proposed interrogatories are here:

The thing that kills me is that is that arbitration is intended to be an expedited procedure for a more rapid resolution of the matter. The arbitrator's decision to allow a very broad discovery has dragged this matter to crawl and has allowed KO's representation to leverage the process to be as disruptive as possible. The requested documents look to be thousands of pages which will need to reviewed by both counsel. It seems like a needlessly expensive fishing expedition largely designed to look to ways for impeach Glenn Miller.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thats the card the university may ultimately play and it may quickly settle the whole thing.
So why haven’t they done it yet?
Folks here seem to think this is a done deal slam dunk for the AD, but if that’s the case, why are we still dealing with this nonsense years after the fact.
People settle not because they’re always right, but because they know it’s better to move on. The program’s rep has taken a hit, whether we wanna admit it or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Folks here seem to think this is a done deal slam dunk for the AD, but if that’s the case, why are we still dealing with this nonsense years after the fact.
People settle not because they’re always right, but because they know it’s better to move on. The program’s rep has taken a hit, whether we wanna admit it or not.
I disagree. NOBODY cares. When UConn is brought up on the national scene, no one is talking about this situation. the conversations about UConn are centered around the Big East, Hurley, James Bouknight, and our return to prominence. Again, NOBODY cares. Ollie is the one who's taken the perception hit. He'll never get a major coaching opportunity in the NCAA ever again

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would be amazed if Keven has not been deposed. Both sides also have a transcript of his NCAA tesitimony.
Because Ollie's counsel realize that they lose on the merits so they are extending the process as long as they can in the hope that UConn gets tired of the process and settles. They have been aided by the arbiter allowing broad discovery.
The program hasn't been hurt by this in the least. Initially, it took some heat but once the NCAA gave a three year show cause to Ollie, public opinion turned. Ollie's reputation has been been absolutely decimated. That is a largely due to his representation asking for documents via OPRA rather than regular discovery. They leaked their OPRA request to the press. They press then made a duplicate request and UConn was bound by law to release it. It was an incredibly dumb mistake. They then went on to let the statute for a claim in court lapse.

When this thing is all over, KO won't get any more money, he'll have alienated Jim Calhoun and the university, and have made himself a pariah in college basketball. None of that needed to happen. I wonder if KO will look to representation for redress. He probably should.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Chief could have led the 2014 Huskies to the Championship. Shabazz and Company were determined to win regardless of who was coaching.
That’s just not true. That team got smashed by Louisville twice at the end of the season and should have lost in the first round of the dance. He turned them around and never stopped pushing his guys. I wish he would just go away....but he did an awesome job his first two seasons.

Reaction Score
This is correct...they're using violations as their legal case to not pay him but realistically, while I rooted for him to succeed bc he was a Uconn guy, the team was getting embarrassed every night. It was 99% performance related, 1% violations.
He was fired because of performance, UConn is trying not to pay him because of violations

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Step up or step away. KO walked away from his responsibilities to the young men in his charge. He didn't make them better. That was his job. Everything else is just ego.

Reaction Score
He was fired because of performance, UConn is trying not to pay him because of violations

I’d say he was fired for a combination of performance and violations. If he didn’t commit any violations, I don’t think he would’ve been fired when he was. If he won and still committed those violations, I don’t think he would’ve been fired when he was. Still, I don’t think there’s any argument over whether or not violations were committed and for that he’s not getting paid.

Reaction Score
Nobody outside of CT. gives a s***.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01