Kevin Ollie’s lawyers ask for depositions from NCAA president Mark Emmert and national search firm as contract dispute with UConn | The Boneyard

Kevin Ollie’s lawyers ask for depositions from NCAA president Mark Emmert and national search firm as contract dispute with UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Haven’t followed this BS in a while. For anyone that is, is he still saying he did nothing wrong and that the firing wasn’t with just cause?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
200w.gif

Reaction Score
Is the fallout from this part of the reason why Calhoun's semi annual charity game fell apart?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Haven’t followed this BS in a while. For anyone that is, is he still saying he did nothing wrong and that the firing wasn’t with just cause?
"Ollie’s legal team continues to do whatever it can to deflect from the facts — many uncontested — that led to his termination,” read a UConn statement on Feb. 23, in reaction to the Hurley subpoena.

Reaction Score
KO's defense amounts to "Jim Calhoun did just as much wrong as me and still got paid therefore I deserve to get paid too."

That's not how it works Kevin.
When Kevin is in a protected class, and Jim isn't, that is pretty close to how it works.

I'm not saying he should get paid.

But if his argument is the language in the contracts were the same/similar, but they fired him and not Calhoun for the same/similar transgressions, then he was treated differently, and the fact he's in a protected class means he can make that argument and potentially still get paid.

There's a very legitimate argument to be made as to why he was treated differently, and why it had nothing to do with race. I won't bother making it, but I don't think the school did anything wrong and only think he should be paid to make this go away. But he's protected, so if he's treated differently for similar actions, then the school will need to successfully make that argument.

Reaction Score
I just read the "college sports" is about to go thread.

Then I read this and think, none of it matters anymore.

Reaction Score
During my too long legal career in CT I had a couple of dealings with the lawyer representing KO and found him competent and smart. In this dispute, however, I think a settlement should have been achieved soon after KO was terminated. There was sufficient monetary room ($10 mil to $0.00) that a number should have been quickly agreed upon and KO continued on with his career. There is zero chance that anyone will hire KO until this is over therefore he has lost a ton of money in potential earnings.

As a lawyer I constantly reminded clients that in the lawsuit business principles are very, very expensive, close you eyes, hold your nose, find a number and settle, you know what you are getting and what you are giving up, leaving the result to a stranger (Judge, jury, arbitrator) is the worse avenue available. I don't think KO has been represented wisely.

PWS

Reaction Score
When Kevin is in a protected class, and Jim isn't, that is pretty close to how it works.

I'm not saying he should get paid.

But if his argument is the language in the contracts were the same/similar, but they fired him and not Calhoun for the same/similar transgressions, then he was treated differently, and the fact he's in a protected class means he can make that argument and potentially still get paid.

There's a very legitimate argument to be made as to why he was treated differently, and why it had nothing to do with race. I won't bother making it, but I don't think the school did anything wrong and only think he should be paid to make this go away. But he's protected, so if he's treated differently for similar actions, then the school will need to successfully make that argument.

From what I have read. The language in the contracts is not the same. In Fact, the specific language in Ollie's contract was a direct result of the compliance issues Calhoun had that led to UConn's punishment and a warning from the NCAA that future infractions will be treated worse. Maybe a good lawyer can make hay with that, but the language in the contracts was not the same

Curiouser
Reaction Score
From what I have read. The language in the contracts is not the same. In Fact, the specific language in Ollie's contract was a direct result of the compliance issues Calhoun had that led to UConn's punishment and a warning from the NCAA that future infractions will be treated worse. Maybe a good lawyer can make hay with that, but the language in the contracts was not the same
I thought the language in both contracts was the same, but the University's story was that Ollie's contract was delivered with oral emphasis/reinforcement to the effect that "we really mean it this time" re NCAA compliance because of the past issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom