Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I think it’s K Free too based on conversations with other people who follow this stuff. I see his ability to coach bigs and bring former players back into the fold as the deciding factors. I don’t see us struggling to recruit regardless, our brand is cool again. Just wish we had a real solid DMV connect.

Reaction Score
I seem to remember Kevin Freeman's infamous first day of practice with Calhoun. The first practice was notoriously challenging, relentlessly strenuous; Calhoun finding out who his warriors were, and Freeman not giving up, no quit, and his lips were bleeding from the effort.
Which shows absolutely zero about being a successful coach

Reaction Score
I seem to remember Kevin Freeman's infamous first day of practice with Calhoun. The first practice was notoriously challenging, relentlessly strenuous; Calhoun finding out who his warriors were, and Freeman not giving up, no quit, and his lips were bleeding from the effort.

Reading this as a kid, I always thought it sounded bad ass. As an adult and a coach, it makes me think the guys had a really crappy summer SnC program.

Reaction Score
I think it’s K Free too based on conversations with other people who follow this stuff. I see his ability to coach bigs and bring former players back into the fold as the deciding factors. I don’t see us struggling to recruit regardless, our brand is cool again. Just wish we had a real solid DMV connect.
i really hope that wasn’t a factor in the hiring decision.

Reaction Score
DH has consistently made thoughtful and well-informed decisions re:the Program.. From roster construction/recruiting ..Stimulating and motivating the fan base.. And hiring staff and coaches.. I trust him to make the right decision based on the candidates who have responded to the opening..No one is better qualified to identify the right person for the Program than DH..I'm sure he has sought counsel from those people who he respects.... Trust the Carpenter..

Reaction Score
I’m sure DH feels KFree can recruit. Kevin is likable and pretty smooth. I can see him being a recruiter. Work ethic is a non issue.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about assistant coaches that could be candidates, so I have tried to 'listen'. Murray seems to have the best resume, Freeman the least resume but might be up and coming. I don't understand the foundation of the Webster enthusiasm. He supposedly has the strong DMV connections, he's been at VTech a few years, but last year there were no players from DMV on the roster that contributed, there were no true impact bigs on the team to coach up, as a staff they couldn't get their best player, Landers Nolley, to stay, and as a staff I don't see anything that stands out that would be nice to attribute to this guy. If we are looking for a DMV Recruiter, he has been selling a relatively local ACC school and has nothing on the roster. If we are looking for a 'bigs' coach, they didn't even have one on the roster and had Landers Nolley out of position. If he's making $145k and hasn't been hired away yet, maybe there are reasons. Tell me what I am missing about this resume. It seems unimpressive to me.

Reaction Score
I don't know much about assistant coaches that could be candidates, so I have tried to 'listen'. Murray seems to have the best resume, Freeman the least resume but might be up and coming. I don't understand the foundation of the Webster enthusiasm. He supposedly has the strong DMV connections, he's been at VTech a few years, but last year there were no players from DMV on the roster that contributed, there were no true impact bigs on the team to coach up, as a staff they couldn't get their best player, Landers Nolley, to stay, and as a staff I don't see anything that stands out that would be nice to attribute to this guy. If we are looking for a DMV Recruiter, he has been selling a relatively local ACC school and has nothing on the roster. If we are looking for a 'bigs' coach, they didn't even have one on the roster and had Landers Nolley out of position. If he's making $145k and hasn't been hired away yet, maybe there are reasons. Tell me what I am missing about this resume. It seems unimpressive to me.
The biggest thing you're missing is looking at last year's roster and not this year's recruiting class. He was the lead recruiter for their top 2 commits, both from 4* recruits from Virginia ranked 89 and 108 overall

C

Chief00

Reading this as a kid, I always thought it sounded bad ass. As an adult and a coach, it makes me think the guys had a really crappy summer SnC program.
Jim was all about toughness. He had good brains but didn’t require it in others. At some point, he started holding the players to preparation standards. Despite his recent issues Ben Gordon shot many late nights on his own. Jerome Dyson, played tough but what he did not learn until he was an adult - was how important game prep was - getting a good nights sleep before a day game and putting individual time in the gym. To Jerome’s credit, he tells Chief in recent years, everything I said to him then, which he argued with, was true. We are good friends now.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Which shows absolutely zero about being a successful coach
But a little bit about heart and determination.

Freeman was one of my all-time favorite huskies. If he can pass on even a bit of his toughness, determination, and opportunism under the basket to the young kids we have now we will be a much better team.

I have no idea who it will be, but I trust in Hurley. He knows what we need and he is done an amazing job putting a staff together.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
KFree didn't appear to distinguish himself as as an up and comer while on KO's staff. Who did?
PSU has been very good past few seasons and it's reasonable to believe KFree has shown his ability to coach while coaching on a top-25 program.
Overall? His resume is light but it's not an outlandish selection.

C

Chief00

When you’re UConn MBB, if you are the assistant who doesn’t get the job, it doesn’t mean anything bad about you. KFree’s on Danny’s list and that’s what’s important. In the last few years KFree has worked very diligently and done things the right way - he is making great career progress. Be patient.

Reaction Score
We have Whaley, Carlton, Akok, Sanogo, and Brown now (edit: we also have Springs!), with Johnson coming in 2021 and hopefully another elite big coming in 2022. It seems to me that having a coach to help develop big men is critical. If our new hire isn’t Freeman or someone who can work with the bigs, who won our staff would fill that role? I’m not saying nobody can; I’m honestly asking who it would be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have Whaley, Carlton, Akok, Sanogo, and Brown now, with Johnson coming in 2021 and hopefully another elite big coming in 2022. It seems to me that having a coach to help develop big men is critical. If our new hire isn’t Freeman or someone who can work with the bigs, who won our staff would fill that role? I’m not saying nobody can; I’m honestly asking who it would be.
Don't sleep on Springs

Reaction Score
We have Whaley, Carlton, Akok, Sanogo, and Brown now, with Johnson coming in 2021 and hopefully another elite big coming in 2022. It seems to me that having a coach to help develop big men is critical. If our new hire isn’t Freeman or someone who can work with the bigs, who won our staff would fill that role? I’m not saying nobody can; I’m honestly asking who it would be.
Tom Moore would likely work with the bigs I believe. (Others mentioned it on here pages back I believe) He’s been pretty much a lifelong coach, Swiss Army knife, can do if all type.

Reaction Score
KFree didn't appear to distinguish himself as as an up and comer while on KO's staff. Who did?
PSU has been very good past few seasons and it's reasonable to believe KFree has shown his ability to coach while coaching on a top-25 program.
Overall? His resume is light but it's not an outlandish selection.
Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting. That is all its about. Can you name one player recruited ever by KFree? If he wasn't an alum, the boneyard would be in total meltdown over this hire.

Reaction Score
You don't need to be a big to coach bigs. Instructional coaching can be learned.

Reaction Score
A lot has changed in twenty years I'm sure, even the commitment by players to remain on campus most of the summer working it.

Reaction Score
How in the world is Lobo on that list smh
I don't know if there is mutual interest, but Rebecca Lobo is in the friggin' Naismith Hall-of-Fame! Lobo has forgotten more hoops than most of us will ever know. She's an ambassador for the sport & for UConn. She knows post-play. I don't know how she would do recruiting. But I doubt she would give up her ESPN job for the grind of college coach, especially with 4 kids at home.

Reaction Score
Too easy.

Get a foam mattress.
Just surprised at how Yarders omit him from their thinking re:relevance..Has an interesting skill set.. Coaches/teammates like his skills..Let's see him on the floor before dismissing him as a non-factor.. I believe sleeping on Springs is a mistake.. My two cents..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom