Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Freeman coaching our rebounding oriented front court HIGHLY intrigues me. But we just have to have a DMV connection for recruiting. DMV has more talent than NE, NY, and NJ combined right now at the youth/HS level.
I'm trying to talk myself into what seems to be inevitable

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I'm trying to talk myself into what seems to be inevitable
I agree, I think he’s the front runner. He checks too many boxes outside of recruiting. He brings former players back into the fold, His friendship with Ray, his connection to Northern Jersey, His ability to coach a front court. I just hope staff has enough mid-Atlantic connections to get by without one of those well connected local guys.

Reaction Score
I agree, I think he’s the front runner. He checks too many boxes outside of recruiting. He brings former players back into the fold, His friendship with Ray, his connection to Northern Jersey, His ability to coach a front court. I just hope staff has enough mid-Atlantic connections to get by without one of those well connected local guys.

It doesn't seem inevitable at all. There's 1 zags tweet. You are reading far too much into the boneyard.

Freeman would be a massive disappointment of a hire, and Hurley hasn't disappointed yet. I doubt it happens.

Reaction Score
hiring Free would be the first time it looks like DH made a panic move. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s someone that we had no idea was even a possibility

Reaction Score
hiring Free would be the first time it looks like DH made a panic move. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s someone that we had no idea was even a possibility

I don't see it as a panic move at all. But I do look at it more as settling instead of excelling.

Reaction Score
Hurley & the others can coach him up into being a better coach & recruiter

Reaction Score
This explains perfectly why KFree would be an underwhelming hire. Great guy, great alum, adds little value to the current staff.

Main benefit I see is that Freeman played for UConn in the Big East. He can sell specifically how awesome that is. Taliek can do it, too, but he can't recruit off campus in his current role.

Reaction Score
Recruiting is about communication/connections/closing the deal..Those are qualities that can be learned if not already part of someone's DNA.. KFree walked the walk as a player in the OBE..He was an undersized PF who gave up 4"-6" every game and still out rebounded his opponents.. He had to do that for a living overseas.. Ask JC about Freeman in his famous rebounding drills. He can teach these and other skills to our young Bigs.. Is he the right guy at this time?? Don't know who is really on the short list yet.. Let's let this play out before we dismiss him as a viable candidate.. Maybe DH is trying to find someone at the right price (less than Hunter's salary).. KFree has a Rolodex that can connect him to the DMV if necessary..

Reaction Score
If KFree wasn't a UConn alum he would be nowhere near the shortlist. Now isn't the time to get cute with bringing back a guy just because he has a history here. Make the best possible hire. That points to it being Webster, or a dream hire of Murray

Webster's like 4-2, how's he going to coach the bigs?

(I don't know who Webster is.)

Reaction Score
This isn’t meant to go down the wrong path of discussion, but you do realize who was leading the program when KFree was on board, not ideal from a learning perspective....

Reaction Score
This isn’t meant to go down the wrong path of discussion, but you do realize who was leading the program when KFree was on board, not ideal from a learning perspective....
We also can't know whether KFree's coaching record under KO was in spite of KO or a product of KO.

Reaction Score
Webster seems to be the guy.
For some reason people saw Freeman name first in the Zags tweet and thought he was the front runner (journalist tend to use alphabetical order). I really don’t see Freeman being the guy unless something goes catastrophically wrong. UConn can double this guys salary and give him a shot at recruits he can never get at V Tech. He recruited nearly every Hurley recruit as well. Just makes too much sense. I don’t see Freeman as the front runner.

Reaction Score
People just still have unhealed wounds that have affected the morale of the team/fan/player relationships...I think it an unnecessary risk to take at this time, already having 1 alumni on staff. But I trust Hurley more than any of ya'll

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

A VT writer was just asked by a UConn fan on the rumors of Webster if it was “rumors beyond the Zags tweet” and he replied “yes”. Something to keep your eyes on.

Any idea what Webster’s salary is?

Reaction Score
People just still have unhealed wounds that have affected the morale of the team/fan/player relationships...I think it an unnecessary risk to take at this time, already having 1 alumni on staff. But I trust Hurley more than any of ya'll
I don't understand this at all. Could you please ellaborate. KFree and Taliek are both two of the most likeable guys. In fact, KFree's affiliation with the programs is probably the main reason he is being considered.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The Boneyard seems to have gone the opposite direction now, where anyone previously associated with UConn must not be a good hire ... everyone here KNOWS Kevin Freeman would be a crappy hire and crappy coach? I'm so confused.

I'm sure these guys do a lot more due diligence than just "hey he used to play here!" By the way he was pretty darn good and has coached a few places for awhile, is a good guy, etc. He checks many boxes.

Not even advocating, just don't understand the idea that now every former UConn guy is poison because of our last 5 years?

Reaction Score
The Boneyard seems to have gone the opposite direction now, where anyone previously associated with UConn must not be a good hire ... everyone here KNOWS Kevin Freeman would be a crappy hire and crappy coach? I'm so confused.

I'm sure these guys do a lot more due diligence than just "hey he used to play here!" By the way he was pretty darn good and has coached a few places for awhile, is a good guy, etc. He checks many boxes.

Not even advocating, just don't understand the idea that now every former UConn guy is poison because of our last 5 years?
I wouldn’t say “every guy”. In the end, I trust DH. That being said, it is difficult for me to get excited about a guy who just 2 years ago wasn’t good enough for the job, then left to Penn St. and is now being considered for the role with no notable recruiting wins since he left, and as someone who doesn’t fit the Geo-location Kenya handles.
If we didn’t have Taliek’s role w/ alumni and such, maybe this would make more sense.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I wouldn’t say “every guy”. In the end, I trust DH. That being said, it is difficult for me to get excited about a guy who just 2 years ago wasn’t good enough for the job, then left to Penn St. and is now being considered for the role with no notable recruiting wins since he left, and as someone who doesn’t fit the Geo-location Kenya handles.
If we didn’t have Taliek’s role w/ alumni and such, maybe this would make more sense.

Understood - it's usually the vocal ones that stand out. I understand not everyone feels that way, but we've definitely transitioned more to the side of "no alumni" even if DH thinks Freeman is right for the job.

What were the reasons for him leaving a few years ago? Was it really that he wasn't good enough for the job?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom