Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Kenya Hunter Potential Replacement

Reaction Score
Understood - it's usually the vocal ones that stand out. I understand not everyone feels that way, but we've definitely transitioned more to the side of "no alumnis" even if DH thinks Freeman is right for the job.

What were the reasons for him leaving a few years ago? Was it really that he wasn't good enough for the job?
Maybe "not good enough" isn't the correct term. Kevin didn't have any real recruiting or coaching experience. I think he's still is too green but I'll trust DH in whoever he hires. Webster seems to be the better choice.

Reaction Score
I don't understand this at all. Could you please ellaborate. KFree and Taliek are both two of the most likeable guys. In fact, KFree's affiliation with the programs is probably the main reason he is being considered.

I think the issue (if it is one) is that it's kind of a cemented position of sorts. There's no easy way to fire staff if things go wrong, but alumni make it a much more difficult and messy situation. Issues can be overlooked or glossed over due to familiarity, loyalty, etc, as well......recent events give me a little heartburn about the possibility of sour grapes with the alumni associated with the program. I love Taliek on the staff, but he is not an assistant coach directly involved in recruiting players.

I'm not saying this is the case here, DH has done an amazing job integrating the former players with the current and doesn't strike me as a guy that lets things slide. KFree was a hard worker, great player, and has the potential to be a great coach...but we're UConn and should demand the best we can possibly get, and KFree isn't there yet IMO

Reaction Score
Someone posted in this thread that his salary is $145,000. Which seems low.

According to his 2016-2017 salary it was 145,000 but I assume he has gotten a raise, can’t imagine it’s more than a 100,000 raise so even then uconn can up his salary significantly.

Reaction Score
Hearing probably not Kfree. But could be choice C if needed.
Word i am hearing is coach is moving from the uconn family approach to his coaching bench and more toward recruiting recruiting recruiting . Get the coach who has the best connection and can foster relationships they might already have

Reaction Score
Word i am hearing is coach is moving from the uconn family approach to his coaching bench and more toward recruiting recruiting recruiting . Get the coach who has the best connection and can foster relationships they might already have
Love this

Reaction Score

Not sure I understand your “moving from the UConn family approach” comment. The last part is already what has informed every coaching hire that’s been made.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure I understand your “moving from the UConn family approach” comment. The last part is already what has informed every coaching hire he’s made.

Only a guess but you know the ex-Huskies and coaches would love to help a guy like Kevin get a job where he belongs. So he's denying the peer pressure which is the approach the "family" would like to see. He's going to do what's right for this program, HIS program so he's being smart.

Reaction Score
Not sure I understand your “moving from the UConn family approach” comment. The last part is already what has informed every coaching hire that’s been made.

Right, making sure the coach, ex-Husky or not, checks all the boxes rather than “moving on.”

In a few years if KFree or anyone else in “the family” gains the necessary experience the decision would be easier.

Reaction Score
It doesn't seem inevitable at all. There's 1 zags tweet. You are reading far too much into the boneyard.

Freeman would be a massive disappointment of a hire, and Hurley hasn't disappointed yet. I doubt it happens.

I get what you're saying but, if I recall correctly, KF has only had recruiting responsibility for two years, the two years he's been at Penn State, so getting a commitment from Hutchens-Everett who had offers from Villanova, Syracuse, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Minnesota, Miami, Iona and DePaul (according to 247) looks pretty good.

Reaction Score
Thank god

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Freeman can teach frontcourt play, now has recruiting experience, albeit it just two years, and New England/Northeast roots. His daughter has just begun attending Penn State.

#Ifeelold

Reaction Score
That’s the grand slam hire imo.

1) Luke Murray
2) Christian Webster
3) K-Free

My current preference...although I still think Murray is unlikely despite the connections. I love K-Free but I really think the DMV connection is key from a recruiting standpoint, which Webster has and K-Free does not.

Reaction Score
1) Luke Murray
2) Christian Webster
3) K-Free

My current preference...although I still think Murray is unlikely despite the connections. I love K-Free but I really think the DMV connection is key from a recruiting standpoint, which Webster has and K-Free does not.
That’d be my order too. Large gap between #2 and #3 to me though.

Reaction Score
1) Luke Murray
2) Christian Webster
3) K-Free

If your wish list holds up..Guess we'd be seeing Luke's Dad Bill at Blaze and Gampel..Can see Bill and Bob Sr having some interesting conversations..

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom