Kemba vs Springer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Kemba vs Springer

Reaction Score
Great debate. While my vote would go to Kemba, Springer is an interesting because he is the first real embassador of UConn Baseball.

It is very interesting to see the UConn brand spread out to more than just basketball. Tage Thompson has helped put UConn on the hockey map and it's no coincidence that the Wolfpack are rostering two UConn grads (Cole Schneider, Derek Pratt) and could possibly have another UConn grad next year with Adam Huska. What's cool about baseball and hockey getting more exposure is that this state is rich with young players from these two sports and having local UConn grads (along with what the mens' and womens' team) provides opportunities for exposure for the school. Think back to when I was a kid playing basketball and Ray Allen was IT and boom, I was a UConn fan for life. Now, you could be a young baseball player and look at George Springer and could blossom a kid's love for UConn. Same thing with Tage Thompson or any of the bball players. It's a cool thing.

Reaction Score
This is the first time I heard Springer is from UCONN. I’m a big Red Sox fan but don’t follow baseball much besides them. First time I heard of Springer was this playoffs. I have to go with Kemba but I follow college basketball and pro basketball more than any baseball.

I did know Barnes was a UCONN guy for a long time but only knew that since I’m a huge Red Sox fan.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the first time I heard Springer is from UCONN. I’m a big Red Sox fan but don’t follow baseball much besides them. First time I heard of Springer was this playoffs. I have to go with Kemba but I follow college basketball and pro basketball more than any baseball.

I did know Barnes was a UCONN guy for a long time but only knew that since I’m a huge Red Sox fan.

From New Britain HS to UConn, true CT kid hard not to root for, especially the next couple of weeks LOL

Reaction Score
From New Britain HS to UConn, true CT kid hard not to root for, especially the next couple of weeks LOL
Yeah surprised I never knew but I hardly know any of the Houston players except Verlander.

Reaction Score
Great debate. While my vote would go to Kemba, Springer is an interesting because he is the first real embassador of UConn Baseball.

It is very interesting to see the UConn brand spread out to more than just basketball. Tage Thompson has helped put UConn on the hockey map and it's no coincidence that the Wolfpack are rostering two UConn grads (Cole Schneider, Derek Pratt) and could possibly have another UConn grad next year with Adam Huska. What's cool about baseball and hockey getting more exposure is that this state is rich with young players from these two sports and having local UConn grads (along with what the mens' and womens' team) provides opportunities for exposure for the school. Think back to when I was a kid playing basketball and Ray Allen was IT and boom, I was a UConn fan for life. Now, you could be a young baseball player and look at George Springer and could blossom a kid's love for UConn. Same thing with Tage Thompson or any of the bball players. It's a cool thing.

Add Jesse Schwartz to that list with Pratt.
Both are on the Maine Mariners (ECHL) Affiliate of the NY Rangers.
So that will be 4 tied to NYR.

I agree with the “wired” to hear UConn.
You definitely hear more of the local UConn angle when listening to NESN or listening to WEEI for the Sox.
More on local, and not so much on national broadcasts. unless it’s Dave O’Brien

OP: Kemba
He’s in the generic CBS BB intro. TWICE
He wins on that alone:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
And it’s not just “in passing”; they talk about it all the time. Plus, I’m not sure if you’ve heard about this thing called “social media” but Springer talks about UConn all the time, plus he wears UConn cleats.

You should probably get out more too. Here in SEC country college baseball is a really big deal; just as big, if not bigger, than the basketball teams at some schools and baseball fans here definitely pay attention to where these guys went.

I'm sure the UConn brand, as represented by Springer, is thriving in such metropoloses such as Starkville, MS and Gainesville, FL.

The average sports fan knows of "Cardiac Kemba" and that he won a title at UConn.

The average sports fan may know George Springer, but they sure as hell don't know where he played college ball.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Is this a serious question? It's Kemba.

99% of MLB fans don't know where George Springer went to college. You only notice it because you're wired to hear it.

Think about it how many MLB stars colleges can you name? Bregman, Benintendi? I've played fantasy baseball the past twenty years and follow the game more closely than most and I can assure nobody has any idea where any of these guys went to college, and certainly don't associated Springer with UConn because an announcer mentioned it in passing during the World Series.

An announcer mentioned in a throwaway comment that Springer went to UConn while millions watched?

Kemba won a national title FOR UConn as millions watched.

LSU
Arkansas

But yeah, I’m a Baseball nut. Easily the best pro sport on the planet. And it’s not even close.

the Q

Reaction Score
A little off topic but Kemba and especially Andre need to make that next jump. They are both all-star players year in year out now and Andre is the best rebounder in the league but they are both at that age where they can and should take it to another level. They are both on cr@p teams but if they can lead and add a little to their games they can get their teams in the playoffs and gain even more respect around the league.

They should be on the same team.

It Charlotte is such an abysmal franchise.

They took mkg over him.

Drummond falling as far as he did was laughable.

NBA gms might be the worst in all of pro sports.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
And it’s not just “in passing”; they talk about it all the time. Plus, I’m not sure if you’ve heard about this thing called “social media” but Springer talks about UConn all the time, plus he wears UConn cleats.

You should probably get out more too. Here in SEC country college baseball is a really big deal; just as big, if not bigger, than the basketball teams at some schools and baseball fans here definitely pay attention to where these guys went.
I didn't realize that either. Interesting Guapo.

the Q

Reaction Score

Watch sec baseball on ESPN this spring. Stands are packed like an mlb game

the Q

Reaction Score

I would love to be down in sec country and watch that all season.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
LSU
Arkansas

But yeah, I’m a Baseball nut. Easily the best pro sport on the planet. And it’s not even close.

Right, that was my point. Those are about the only other guys that I can even think of where I've heard them mention what college they go to.

I'm an MLB 1st guy myself, but College Baseball just doesn't do it for me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I know that Benintendi went to Arkansas lol

I know that Ryan Lavarnway went to Yale.

Seems those Ivy League guys always get their schools mentioned. Like they were failures who were supposed to be Supreme Court justices or CEOs, but had to settle for manual labor.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the UConn brand, as represented by Springer, is thriving in such metropoloses such as Starkville, MS and Gainesville, FL.

The average sports fan knows of "Cardiac Kemba" and that he won a title at UConn.

The average sports fan may know George Springer, but they sure as hell don't know where he played college ball.

Fair enough, sorry I got defensive; this whole thread was really meant to just brag on the UConn AD as a whole rather than a PTI segment lol.

But yeah to you and @CL82 ;if you’re baseball fans, you should try just following the UConn baseball program a little. You don’t have to watch games or anything (even though some will be televised this year), just check in on scores and standings every once in a while.

Penders has built an amazing program here and, I promise, the college baseball tournament is a lot of fun if you have a rooting interest in one of the teams.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Fair enough, sorry I got defensive; this whole thread was really meant to just brag on the UConn AD as a whole rather than a PTI segment lol.

But yeah to you and @CL82 ;if you’re baseball fans, you should try just following the UConn baseball program a little. You don’t have to watch games or anything (even though some will be televised this year), just check in on scores and standings every once in a while.

Penders has built an amazing program here and, I promise, the college baseball tournament is a lot of fun if you have a rooting interest in one of the teams.
I do follow UConn baseball. I enjoy it they are a fun team to root for. But I pretty much follow everything. I think you do as well.

Hockey's been fun to follow as well and last years run was about as much fun as I have as a UConn fan in a while. UConn hockey at the XL is great. Back to baseball, I'm going to try to see if I can get up for a Dunkin Donuts game. That looks like it would be a blast. Haven't been to the stadium yet.

the Q

Reaction Score

I’m really surprised that he hasn’t been poached yet.

What he’s done at Uconn is pretty amazing. HAd they not run into the South Carolina dynasty they probably have an Omaha trip in hand as well.

Reaction Score

What he’s done at Uconn is pretty amazing. HAd they not run into the South Carolina dynasty they probably have an Omaha trip in hand as well.

The Penders family has deep roots in CT baseball; his dad was (is?) the long time coach at East Catholic

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

His roots in the area are incredibly strong. There have also been rumors that he may be a candidate for AD here once he retires from coaching.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

No need to apologize, that's what the 'yard is all about - We're lucky we can brag about both of 'em.

I probably shouldn't have come off so brash either.

Reaction Score

Oh yeah, it’s a big deal. The schools where baseball might be bigger than basketball are Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, South Carolina (though not sure how recent success of the WBB and MBB might impact that) and maybe UGA (though that fanbase aggressively only cares about football).

Here’s a cool tradition at Ole Miss (something I never thought I’d write lol); everytime Ole Miss hits a homerun, the student section does this:

the Q

Reaction Score
The Penders family has deep roots in CT baseball; his dad was (is?) the long time coach at East Catholic

Yes. I used to go to his baseball camp as a kid.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom