Kemba vs Springer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kemba vs Springer

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Absolutely; the counter argument is that Springer has consistently played more highly watched games where his ties to UConn are often mentioned

UCONN is basketball. That's our brand. The biggest star is of course Ray, but Kemba is that guy currently in the NBA.

Also, the lopsided nature of team size favors the NBA in terms of 'star power' and reach.

Reaction Score
UCONN is basketball. That's our brand. The biggest star is of course Ray, but Kemba is that guy currently in the NBA.

Also, the lopsided nature of team size favors the NBA in terms of 'star power' and reach.

Hmm that brings up an interesting side question: who is more well known; Kemba or Springer?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Hmm that brings up an interesting side question: who is more well known; Kemba or Springer?

Dunno for sure. The NBA markets their players to a far better degree than baseball. That said, Kemba is stuck in a market like Charlotte. On top of that, MLB has a larger fanbase than the NBA.

If I was forced to guess, I'd say Kemba. But that's not based on anything, and probably reflects my northeast bias.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I would say they're relatively equal in how well known they are at this point. Everybody knows Springer's name due to his performance in the World Series last year, but Kemba is most well-know from his days at UConn, 2011 Maui/BE/NCAA and has also been successful in the pros, but hasn't been on a good team like Springer has been.

Reaction Score
Dunno for sure. The NBA markets their players to a far better degree than baseball. That said, Kemba is stuck in a market like Charlotte. On top of that, MLB has a larger fanbase than the NBA.

If I was forced to guess, I'd say Kemba. But that's not based on anything, and probably reflects my northeast bias.

I would say they're relatively equal in how well known they are at this point. Everybody knows Springer's name due to his performance in the World Series last year, but Kemba is most well-know from his days at UConn, 2011 Maui/BE/NCAA and has also been successful in the pros, but hasn't been on a good team like Springer has been.

Yup, both perfect answers. Like @Waquoit said earlier, it’s amazing that UConn is even in a position to have this discussion.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Well, if they got in a fight, Springer would win because he has a bat.

It will be interesting to see who makes money in their career.
Maybe; but remember Kemba is the ankle-breaker!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I was having an interesting discussion with some friends the other night about who is “the bigger” (define it as you wish) ambassador for the “UConn brand” (again, define as you wish) right now to the world at large: George Springer or Kemba?
Cyle Larin & Andre Blake

Too bad Ray can't coach worth a damn anymore.

Reaction Score
Cyle Larin & Andre Blake

Too bad Ray can't coach worth a damn anymore.

Lol well, lets try and keep this to Springer and Kemba; if not, than you open up a whole different convo with the soccer guys, Turasi, Allen, Okafor etc etc

Reaction Score
Definitely Kemba. He was the face of UConn winning a national championship. I bet most sports fan know where he played in college. I don't think most sports fans know where Springer went to college because most people don't care about college baseball.

Reaction Score
I don't know that very many baseball fans associate Springer with UConn to anywhere near the extent that basketball fans (even casual fans) associate Kemba with UConn.
This. If you polled 100 random people on the street (in Connecticut or elsewhere) and ask which college George Springer played at and Kemba played at, I 100% guarantee far more people would know Kemba. I'm glad to have Springer as an alum but college baseball just isn't nearly as big of a national TV draw.

Reaction Score
I'll take the easy way out. You asked who was the bigger ambassador. Countries have an ambassador to many other countries. Therefore, Kemba is currently our ambassador to the NBA and Springer is our ambassador to baseball. In my opinion, both make you proud to call them a fellow alum and that's not just because of their athletic results but the way the handle themselves on an off the court/field.

Reaction Score
If you discount the overall popularity of college basketball compared to baseball and if Springer tears through the postseason again this year and if the Astros win + he gets WS MVP, he would pass Kemba. But the eye test will always favor college basketball and football over baseball and hockey.

Though Rajai Davis is safely the biggest brand ambassador for UConn Avery Point.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Is this a serious question? It's Kemba.

99% of MLB fans don't know where George Springer went to college. You only notice it because you're wired to hear it.

Think about it how many MLB stars colleges can you name? Bregman, Benintendi? I've played fantasy baseball the past twenty years and follow the game more closely than most and I can assure nobody has any idea where any of these guys went to college, and certainly don't associated Springer with UConn because an announcer mentioned it in passing during the World Series.

An announcer mentioned in a throwaway comment that Springer went to UConn while millions watched?

Kemba won a national title FOR UConn as millions watched.

Reaction Score

99% of MLB fans don't know where George Springer went to college. You only notice it because you're wired to hear it.

Think about it how many MLB stars colleges can you name? Bregman, Benintendi? I've played fantasy baseball the past twenty years and follow the game more closely than most and I can assure nobody has any idea where any of these guys went to college, and certainly don't associated Springer with UConn because an announcer mentioned it in passing during the World Series.

An announcer mentioned in a throwaway comment that Springer went to UConn while millions watched?

I know that Benintendi went to Arkansas lol

Reaction Score

And it’s not just “in passing”; they talk about it all the time. Plus, I’m not sure if you’ve heard about this thing called “social media” but Springer talks about UConn all the time, plus he wears UConn cleats.

You should probably get out more too. Here in SEC country college baseball is a really big deal; just as big, if not bigger, than the basketball teams at some schools and baseball fans here definitely pay attention to where these guys went.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'd say Kemba because even though Springer is a great player and even better playoff performer, most people see Kemba and think "UConn", whereas most George Springer fans (and baseball fans in general) could care less which college the given player went to.

Don't care and don't know. You ask NBA fans where Kemba went to college, 90% say UConn. You ask MLB fans where Springer went to college, how many get it right? 10%? They may mention it during games but it goes in one ear and out the other. People remember Kemba in a Husky uniform.

Reaction Score
Just listened to the Bill Simmons podcast (I know I know) and JackO said “UConn’s own George Springer.”

Jack O reads the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
A little off topic but Kemba and especially Andre need to make that next jump. They are both all-star players year in year out now and Andre is the best rebounder in the league but they are both at that age where they can and should take it to another level. They are both on cr@p teams but if they can lead and add a little to their games they can get their teams in the playoffs and gain even more respect around the league.

Reaction Score
I watch a decent bit of baseball and honestly had no idea Springer went to uconn until I read this thread...so I'm gonna say kemba

Reaction Score
I'm not a basebalI follower and had to google George Springer to find out who he was. So my answer is Kemba. The second baseball name I googled in 2 days because of boneyard threads.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom