Kemba vs Springer | The Boneyard

Kemba vs Springer

Reaction Score
I was having an interesting discussion with some friends the other night about who is “the bigger” (define it as you wish) ambassador for the “UConn brand” (again, define as you wish) right now to the world at large: George Springer or Kemba?

I love them both (but go Sox) and I can honestly see the argument for both.

What are y’all’s thoughts?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I would say Kemba because he has more fans but...if Springer is dominate in the WS this year it may become Springer.

Reaction Score
I'd say Kemba because even though Springer is a great player and even better playoff performer, most people see Kemba and think "UConn", whereas most George Springer fans (and baseball fans in general) could care less which college the given player went to.

Absolutely; the counter argument is that Springer has consistently played more highly watched games where his ties to UConn are often mentioned

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
It's definitely Kemba. But I admit that I care and follow baseball far more than I do basketball so my personal preference is Springer. Just love the way he carries himself and, like you said, dude gets white hot in the most pressurized moments. True UConn grit rising to the championship moment.

Reaction Score
It's definitely Kemba. But I admit that I care and follow baseball far more than I do basketball so my personal preference is Springer. Just love the way he carries himself and, like you said, dude gets white hot in the most pressurized moments. True UConn grit rising to the championship moment.
Yeah I'm a bigger baseball than basketball guy myself too, so my opinion was more of an indictment of the fandom of NCAA Baseball than anything.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm a bigger baseball than basketball guy myself too, so my opinion was more of an indictment of the fandom of NCAA Baseball than anything.

I agree with what you said. People seem to care more about what colleges basketball and football players attended. They don't really care (or don't know) what colleges baseball, hockey or other sports athletes attend. Seems like only a handful of guys carry their college torch in pro baseball but I do think Springer is becoming one of those. Seems like every telecast it's mentioned at least once and that's a great thing for the Hook C!

Reaction Score
Here’s what I view as the two strongest arguments for both:

Kemba: Basketball is what’s most important to the UConn brand; therefore the best basketball playing alumni is inherently more important for a number of reasons (recruiting, legacy etc).

Springer: was the MVP of a 7 game World Series last year which was watched by an average of 18 million viewers (and game 7, in LA, was watched by 28 million). That’s a lot of people who know who George Springer is and heard UConn mentioned on TV in big moments. Kemba simply hasn’t had that sort of exposure since 2011.

Reaction Score
Well, if they got in a fight, Springer would win because he has a bat.

It will be interesting to see who makes money in their career.

Baseball players generally make significantly more simply because baseball doesn’t have a salary cap.

Reaction Score
Kembra. For better ro worse, when people think UConn, they think UConn Basketball, the old Big East Torunment and the Dance, all of which Kembra owns. Most people do not think of UConn (or really any other northeastern college) as a baseball school.

PS - Good luck Springer, please take care of the damn Red Sox.

PPS - There was a report in the local paper that the Knicks may look to sign Kembra in the off season now that Irving has said he wants to stay in Boston. Please don't.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Springer is a great guy and good player. Last years MVP was something special.

But Kemba's BET/NCAA 11 game NC run is one of the iconic moments in school history. Kids today still talk about wanting to be next great UConn guard and cite Kemba and Bazz. I'll go with Kemba.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Baseball players generally make significantly more simply because baseball doesn’t have a salary cap.

But the roster is twice as big as an NBA roster. And salaries are not.

A big reason why colleges aren't associated with baseball players as often is at least half the players in baseball didn't go to college

This too.

Springer has the exposure angle, Kembas legend is still from college.

If we are talking about an embassador with what they’ve done after leaving Uconn, it’s probavly Springer.

Reaction Score
Here’s what I view as the two strongest arguments for both:

Kemba: Basketball is what’s most important to the UConn brand; therefore the best basketball playing alumni is inherently more important for a number of reasons (recruiting, legacy etc).

Springer: was the MVP of a 7 game World Series last year which was watched by an average of 18 million viewers (and game 7, in LA, was watched by 28 million). That’s a lot of people who know who George Springer is and heard UConn mentioned on TV in big moments. Kemba simply hasn’t had that sort of exposure since 2011.
Springer has also gone out of his way to mention and rep UConn on multiple occasions. With kemba people just know he went to UConn from his play

Reaction Score
I'd say Kemba because even though Springer is a great player and even better playoff performer, most people see Kemba and think "UConn", whereas most George Springer fans (and baseball fans in general) could care less which college the given player went to.

It’s also not just a factor of baseball fans caring or not caring about where players went to school. It’s about some 16 year old in Houston or LA or some other far flung place watching the World Series and hears “UConn” mentioned and says “huh, wonder what that’s about” and googles it (they live in Texas or Cali so obviously they don’t care about college basketball ;) ). That sort of thing is really hard to measure, but it’s what Herbst means when she says that sports are a school’s “front porch”

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't know that very many baseball fans associate Springer with UConn to anywhere near the extent that basketball fans (even casual fans) associate Kemba with UConn.

Reaction Score
Springer has a more successful pro career so far.
Springer is 29 and has 18.2 career fWAR. This year, we was 61st in that respect and that's only among position players. That's not bad by any means, but it's severely outpaced by several of his own teammates, like Altuve, Bregman, Correa, Cole, etc.

If you weight last year's playoff run heavily, you can make this argument, but day to day, Kemba is better relative to his competition. He doesn't have the playoff resume, but that's because he's stuck in the least successful franchise in the sport.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I don't know that very many baseball fans associate Springer with UConn to anywhere near the extent that basketball fans (even casual fans) associate Kemba with UConn.

Yeah, I'm talking to myself.
Kemba's UConn roots don't have to be mentioned for people to think UConn when they see him. Not the case with Springer.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm talking to myself.
Kemba's UConn roots don't have to be mentioned for people to think UConn when they see him. Not the case with Springer.

Think bigger picture, though. What does it mean to have UConn consistently talked about in front of 28 million people on one of sports biggest stages?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom