Katz: BE AD's meeting in Dallas on 1/11 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Katz: BE AD's meeting in Dallas on 1/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Definitely Aresco is getting feedback from someone (media) that wants teams from large markets. Otherwise the play is to take some MWC teams and force Boise's hands to reconsider. But the teams in the MWC don't fit the model Aresco is formulating with one or more of the media people.

Reaction Score
lets stay on point and not confuse playing someone vs sharing a conference.
FSU and clemson would like to get in the sec... there are two very obvious reasons they are not. florida and usc...
i'm sure they have no problem playing them annually. i never said i have a problem with uconn playing umass. again, what i said is its not in uconn's best interest for umass to join the big east.

i agree bc is making a mistake not playing uconn. however, if the roles were reversed, i wouldnt want them to join uconns's conference....

FSU is not in the SEC because they turned down an SEC invitation in the early 90s for what they considered greener pastures in the ACC. Ever since that day the SEC has resented FSU for that decision and it is not until conference realignment started again that Florida was used as the reason FSU wouldnt be allowed into the SEC. The SEC already has 2 teams in other states with small populations and from things I have heard FSU would be allowed into the SEC as a last decision in conference realignment if it got to that point.

FSU being kept out of the SEC has more to do with being the alpha male than doubling up in the state of Florida. The SEC feels slighted by FSU not joining back in 91 or whenever it was and because of that decision they will gladly watch FSU flap around like a fish out of water

Reaction Score
FSU is not in the SEC because they turned down an SEC invitation in the early 90s for what they considered greener pastures in the ACC. Ever since that day the SEC has resented FSU for that decision and it is not until conference realignment started again that Florida was used as the reason FSU wouldnt be allowed into the SEC. The SEC already has 2 teams in other states with small populations and from things I have heard FSU would be allowed into the SEC as a last decision in conference realignment if it got to that point.

FSU being kept out of the SEC has more to do with being the alpha male than doubling up in the state of Florida. The SEC feels slighted by FSU not joining back in 91 or whenever it was and because of that decision they will gladly watch FSU flap around like a fish out of water

So in effect, you are telling us that it's not all about the money.

Good luck with that.

Reaction Score
It most certainly is about the money but the SEC doesn't have much places to expand. They pride themselves on having the hands down best college football on the planet, bar none. They obviously are interested in UNC and getting in other states but they are already in every state in the South minus N. Carolina and Virginia.

Oklahoma and Texas arent going to the SEC. No chance in that they want to play for national championships and the SEC is too difficult a landscape for their liking. UNC is a great add but doesnt add much football wise. VAtech would be middle of the pack/lower half in football. They cant expand much so their next plan of attack would be to grab the best available football programs and prevent another conference from intruding on their territory. FSU would fit in fine there and as a said it would be a last pick type of situation. It wouldnt be the first move the SEC made in expansion.

And dont think for 1 second the SEC doesnt view FSU turning them down in the the early 90s as a slap in their face. SEC and the south in general remembers instances like that and they will watch you drown. They have different values and culture and if you spurn them well so be it because they will remember that for 100s of years.

Reaction Score
Methodology, I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I remember that time frame differently. Tranguese wanted to add teams to form the Big East football conference. There had been a detailed article in the Washington Post earlier in the year that speculated that the Big East was targeting FSU & Miami to appease the football playing members. The ACC formally invited FSU first, leaving only the 'Canes for the Big East to grab. FWIW, if the SEC actually extend an invitation & FSU declined, that act was foolish on so many levels. At that time ( & still today) the SEC was light years ahead of the ACC in both prestige & performance.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It most certainly is about the money but the SEC doesn't have much places to expand. They pride themselves on having the hands down best college football on the planet, bar none. They obviously are interested in UNC and getting in other states but they are already in every state in the South minus N. Carolina and Virginia.

Oklahoma and Texas arent going to the SEC. No chance in that they want to play for national championships and the SEC is too difficult a landscape for their liking. UNC is a great add but doesnt add much football wise. VAtech would be middle of the pack/lower half in football. They cant expand much so their next plan of attack would be to grab the best available football programs and prevent another conference from intruding on their territory. FSU would fit in fine there and as a said it would be a last pick type of situation. It wouldnt be the first move the SEC made in expansion.

And dont think for 1 second the SEC doesnt view FSU turning them down in the the early 90s as a slap in their face. SEC and the south in general remembers instances like that and they will watch you drown. They have different values and culture and if you spurn them well so be it because they will remember that for 100s of years.

The last 7 champions came out of the SEC, but you think Tx and OK won't go there because they want to win a championship? That makes no sense. The SEC has proven that you can lose during the season and sitll play for a national title. Tx and OK are good enough programs that they can compete in the SEC and even if they have a loss they can play for a title. Now...someone like WVU...they would struggle to get the shot for a national title in the SEC...but TX and OK would be fine. Look at A&M...lots of people will pick them to win next year.

Reaction Score
The Pac or even staying in the Big 12 if they get a conference title game pretty much guarantees that one of Texas and Oklahoma would have a chance to play for the National Championship year in and year out with the future set up because they would win their league just about every year.

In the SEC they would get a difficult opponent just about every week and it would not be as easy as being in the situation they are now or going to the Pac

Reaction Score

If you're acting on a historical grudge, it's not all about the money. If it's all about the money, you don't vary your decision because of hurt feelings from a generation ago. You are supporting both sides of the debate at once. Have a nice day,.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Temple's attendance was highest because it was homecoming. Not because anyone gives a damn about Temple.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Scene from the Big East AD meetings in Dallas. Can you guess which one is Warde?

"Fat, drunk and stupid is a hell of a way to go through Conference Realignment."

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The Pac or even staying in the Big 12 if they get a conference title game pretty much guarantees that one of Texas and Oklahoma would have a chance to play for the National Championship year in and year out with the future set up because they would win their league just about every year.

In the SEC they would get a difficult opponent just about every week and it would not be as easy as being in the situation they are now or going to the Pac

But...one loss in Big12 and you are probably out of title hunt (see KSU). One loss in SEC and you still can play for title (see Bama).

If you are a top 10 team...your shot at playing for the title is at least equal in the SEC vs Big12. As I said earlier, this doesn't apply to teams on the fringe of top 10 like WVU, but I don't believe for Tx and Ok the path to play for a title is necessarily harder in the SEC vs Big12.

Conversely...I do think it would be harder for a team like FSU to play for a title. Thats why I don't it would be smart for them to leave the ACC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Coward. Using this logic we should try to get into the Pac 10 so we don't have any regional competition, or we can go independent and just declare victory. How about forming a UCONN intramural football league so UCONN never loses?

South Carolina / Clemson play every year. It is a huge rivalry game. Same with Florida / FSU. Those schools all hate each other but they make a ton of money off of the rivalry and one can easily argue that the rivalry helps fuel the schools desire to excel in the athletic arena.

Clearly you must think that BC is doing the right thing by not playing UCONN, I personally think BC is making a huge mistake by avoiding the rivalry.

The announced crowd for UCONN / UMASS this year was 35,000. The announced crowd for UCONN / NC State was 34,000. The best attended game at the Rent this season was the new rival that nobody wanted - Temple drew 37,000

BTW

UNC / Duke
USC / UCLA
Michigan / Michigan State
Auburn / Alabama
Oklahoma / Oklahoma State
Arizona / Arizona State
Washington / Washington State
Oregon / Oregon State
UVA / Virginia Tech
Texas / TCU / Texas Tech

I'm sure I am missing a bunch.

Agreed. The schools that fear local competition are freaking morons for it. Alabama -Auburn anyone? Have they won any recent titles? Only the last 4 in a row. I submit that BC sucks right now partly because they lack local competition (and made bad hires). It pushes you, it makes you strive. It helps sell tickets and creates a general atmosphere of interest in your team and in the region. That's what the old Big East did in basketball, it made everyone stronger. It works the same in football. Michigan is not harmed by Michigan State. Nor USC by UCLA.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I won't be able to take this conference seriously unless every member is all in for all sports. No FB onlies, no Olympic onlies. It has to be all in.

I still think the only exception to that is Navy and possibly Army... their other sports just don't cut it and they do bring TV coverage to the table.

I think Fishy said it pretty well in another thread:
Fishy said:
The good part about playing Army is that you're basically going to get someone you can beat up and no one takes you to task for playing them. (Unless you're Boston College and then you go ahead and lose to 'em.)

Reaction Score
I still think the only exception to that is Navy and possibly Army... their other sports just don't cut it and they do bring TV coverage to the table.

I think Fishy said it pretty well in another thread:

Without getting into whether I would make exceptions for others, you would absolutely want to be associated with Army and Navy in football but not in other sports. In football, at least Navy is competitive, they are both drivable road games and they bring more than their share of money to the table.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've never seen a game at Annapolis but going see Army at Michie Stadium is a real treat. I've been a bunch of time and always enjoy it.

Reaction Score
I think Championship games are way overrated, thus NNBE should just stick to 10 teams. Didn't Texas-KState get better ratings on the final weekend than the B1G and ACC championship games.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
He11, Ansonia VS. Naugatuck would have gotten better ratings than the ACC Championship game!

Reaction Score
I've never seen a game at Annapolis but going see Army at Michie Stadium is a real treat. I've been a bunch of time and always enjoy it.
Been to both. Michie is way better...in fact it isn't even close.

Reaction Score
Methodology, I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I remember that time frame differently. Tranguese wanted to add teams to form the Big East football conference. There had been a detailed article in the Washington Post earlier in the year that speculated that the Big East was targeting FSU & Miami to appease the football playing members. The ACC formally invited FSU first, leaving only the 'Canes for the Big East to grab. FWIW, if the SEC actually extend an invitation & FSU declined, that act was foolish on so many levels. At that time ( & still today) the SEC was light years ahead of the ACC in both prestige & performance.

Coach, Tranghese didn't want to add football, from day 1. He agreed to work on adding football, from day 1, as a preventive measure to keep Syracuse, Boston College, and Pittsburgh from leaving the Big East in 1990-1991. Tranghese' entire run of managing the conference - two full decades, was his perception of appeasing the football members desires regardless of basketball - and he hated it, and he ran the thing into the ground because of it.

In 1990, Syracuse, Pitt and Boston College were in the mix to form a 16 team conference of 1-A athletics including football, from the remnants of the Metro conference and several long time division 1-A independants.

The irony, that few can see at UConn, except those that are old enough, and were involved enough in football, is that the conference that is forming now, that includes us, is essentially the equivalent of the same conference that nearly formed in 1990 with several of the same members.

The Big East conference, provided the means for UConn to have a successful move from 1-AA football to 1-A football. It's doubtful that move would have been possible without the Big East, and being the last founding member standing, is repayment enough.

If the media won't hear it, and recognize that UConn has proven itself worthy of the highest level football, I pray the football Gods will, because the football gods always put things right.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If you're acting on a historical grudge, it's not all about the money. If it's all about the money, you don't vary your decision because of hurt feelings from a generation ago. You are supporting both sides of the debate at once. Have a nice day,.

The premise that there is one motivation, and only one motivation for these decsions is simply implausible. Money is a factor, prestige is a factor, geography is a factor, academics is a factor, historic and current on field strength are factors and yes, petty jealousies and biases are very definitely a factor. It's definitely not "all about" any one thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom