Katz: BE AD's meeting in Dallas on 1/11 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Katz: BE AD's meeting in Dallas on 1/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The premise that there is one motivation, and only one motivation for these decsions is simply implausible. Money is a factor, prestige is a factor, geography is a factor, academics is a factor, historic and current on field strength are factors and yes, petty jealousies and biases are very definitely a factor. It's definitely not "all about" any one thing.

Oh no, it's about the money. The grudges, the petty jealousies and biases, are just the factors that help people decide who they want to make the money with, and UConn people, and CT people, with big names, created a lot of grudges, and petty jealousies, and biases among a lot of people that are decision makers along the way in the past two decades, and we're left to make the money now, with others.

But it's been about the money all along. The money that goes along with college football television broadcasting. The turmoil now, is similar to what was happening 20 years ago, very similar. The difference now, is that there are only 4 independant colleges playing 1-A football, and in 1990 there were 28. The other difference is that in 1990, UConn was on the outside looking in, and now we're on the inside looking out.

But make no mistake, everythign that's happening is all about the money, and securing the best media rights deals that you can get.

The good news for UConn, is that we are essentially a free agent, with plenty of valueable content, more than any other right now, I think with men's and women's hoop value + football, and there are very few players left on the market, and we're lining ourselves up with them as best we can.

We need San Diego to make up their minds ASAP. It's certainly no irony, to me at least, that San Diego State right now is the monkey wrench holding things up, as far as I can tell, because in the world that deregulated broadcasting of college football created 28 years ago, it actually kind of makes sense that a new contract that involves media rights a short drive from the Atlantic Ocean, is intimately tied to a school 3,000 miles away and a short distance from the Pacific.

Again - it's all about the money, and securing the best media rights deal you can get.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Carl: The monkey to the left is sayin' SDSU ain't coming.
I think he got the coat from ESPN lost & found

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Where are these monkeys?

I had no idea there'd be monkeys.

Expansion monkeys?! Do the other conferences get them and we don't? That's not fair.

The Big East must have a seat at the table and monkeys.

HFD....get on this. We need our monkeys.

Reaction Score
Where are these monkeys?

I had no idea there'd be monkeys.

Expansion monkeys?! Do the other conferences get them and we don't? That's not fair.

The Big East must have a seat at the table and monkeys.

HFD....get on this. We need our monkeys.

Monkeys eat peoples hands and faces. Yeah - remember, that happened in Connecticut too. Michael Jackson liked monkeys. Isn't that enough?

F(ck monkeys. I hate monkeys. The monkey exhibit at the Beardsley Zoo smells like and makes me want to puke.

What I'm most concerned about tomorrow at the AD's meeting, with Aresco in attendance, is football recruiting. Rules in this new conference need to be established about recruiting and admissions. High academic standards are not to be feared, especially in the current intercollegiate landscape.

UConn, and the schools that appear to be in our future, will never be able to do what the Ivy's have done when it comes to athletics, because we don't have the funds. But the model, can be followed.

When it comes to athletic competition, fans aren't dumb. They know when an athletic contest is legitimate, or if it's bull .

Notre Dame being ranked above Alabama in the BCS polls anyone?

It all comes down to recruiting, and setting standards.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Todays Friday. Time to see if we just get more BS from Aresco, another random team add like Idaho, SDSU staying or going announcement, or actual answers about members and tv deal.

My guess is we'll get the first option....sigh

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Carl, the last thing I want out of this meeting is high academic standards. Whatever rules are put in place, Herbst will make sure our standards are even higher.

I want academic standards put in place that allow us to compete with the very best on the field. We can become more selective if we are in he B10, not before.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It would take to long to explain academic standards to Memphis to bother.

Reaction Score
is warde at this meeting? i thought i saw posts suggesting he was and others saying hes off to china...

anyone know where in the world is our warde manuel? and befoer you say dunkin donuts, which dunkin donuts?

Reaction Score
is warde at this meeting? i thought i saw posts suggesting he was and others saying hes off to china...

anyone know where in the world is our warde manuel? and befoer you say dunkin donuts, which dunkin donuts?
China? Now that would be a new definition of Big East!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Per the Courant, Warde will be there, Herbst will not. UMass / Tulsa being considered. Yup, 1-11 UMass...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Was at Bradley this morning and saw warde waiting for flight to Dallas . No, he didn't stop at Dunkin Donuts, but he did seen to be monitoring the situation
Monitoring the flight status?

fids.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Monkeys eat peoples hands and faces. Yeah - remember, that happened in Connecticut too. Michael Jackson liked monkeys. Isn't that enough?

F(ck monkeys. I hate monkeys. The monkey exhibit at the Beardsley Zoo smells like and makes me want to puke.

So who is going to start the monkey thread? Are expansion monkeys good for college sports? Fishy takes the pro monkey position and Carl takes an anti monkey stance. Everyone trashes Carl and thread become 21 pages touting the virtues of monkeys. Soon monkey avatars and signatures start up. Someone types "Forde da minkey" in a chat and newbs wonder what the heck it means for years.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Per the Courant, Warde will be there, Herbst will not. UMass / Tulsa being considered. Yup, 1-11 UMass...
Yeah but that one win was quality. Suck it Akron!

Reaction Score
So who is going to start the monkey thread? Are expansion monkeys good for college sports? Fishy takes the pro monkey position and Carl takes an anti monkey stance. Everyone trashes Carl and thread become 21 pages touting the virtues of monkeys. Soon monkey avatars and signatures start up. Someone types "Forde da minkey" in a chat and newbs wonder what the heck it means for years.

animals6.gif

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Only value to this move, and I'm reaching, is it dilutes BC's influence in Mass and eliminates one university from the B!G discussion.

Reaction Score
Other than dancing monkeys, any word on what went on in Dallas?
Someone whined about Ollie, and Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN tweets the Big East wants people to believe it "had a 'productive' meeting", and '...can't comment specifically about some of our challenges, (but) this confirmed our common vision for future".?

A whole lot of meaningless drivel, and/or Blaudschun suggests maybe UConn allows the Catholic 7 to continue milking the Huskies' overall athletic prominence and along with Cinci and some other NBE and NNBE football schools align with the MWC for gridiron only? ;)

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
So they met 5 days ago and now what???? No TV deal news, no team add/subtractions, nothing?!? Seriously....I know UConn and Cincy are really putting a kink into this TV deal due to uncertainty but there needs to be some kind of tv deal....no? How long do they plan on waiting?

Reaction Score
I would guess not only UConn & Cincy but also San Diego State, which has until the end of January to give its official decision. they they can make a final media deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom