Katz: BE AD's meeting in Dallas on 1/11 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Katz: BE AD's meeting in Dallas on 1/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If UMass can continue to upgrade their school and compete with UConn, it would be great for both schools. .
They can't.

I'm fine with playing them once every 4-5 years. If they win a MAC championship I'd consider playing them more often. But until they invest in their school and in their program they're going to be a glorified Maine. We're not in the charity business. Let them become competitive first and then we'll schedule a series.

It cannot hurt to carry this on for marketing purposes.
I suppose you thought we should have extended the U-Game (bball) that every single person in CT and college basketball thought was a joke.

Reaction Score
I suppose you thought we should have extended the U-Game (bball) that every single person in CT and college basketball thought was a joke.
No. I didn't even think about it. Aren't we quick to assume here?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
No. I didn't even think about it. Aren't we quick to assume here?
It's a valid comparison. By the time we started the bball series, Calipari had left, UMass's recruiting took a nosedive and they dropped way down. There was zero buzz for the game. Perhaps you could argue that today the gap between the football teams isn't as wide, but they are in year one of the upgrade and are not in the top 100 FBS teams. There's no benefit to playing them every year... except to them, cashing our checks. If they can demonstrate they are serious about the upgrade, it's a different story. If not, nobody will care.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This is an important meeting. Why is Warde in China again? The only reason I can see is if UCONN already know its fate in conference realignment. I am hoping it is because we already got a B1G offer and just waiting it out. What is Warde in China for other than a vacation? I doubt he is there to work.
Yeah that whole, "we aren't doing squat so we must be a lock" logic kinda crapped the bed with Louisville to the ACC, don't you think?

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
if the nbe adds umass, that is a major slap to uconn.
the last thing uconn needs is another school on par or better in the northeast to compete with for recruits.

is it possible for warde to be in this country when things are going down with the big east.

Did you just say on par or better. I have heard it all. I wonder why some folks say anything at all. UMess is not the same as UConn and never will be.

Reaction Score
And Temple will ever be the same as UConn? They're going to be our closest rival.

Years ago, Temple could have said UConn will never be the same as Temple. Now, we're higher up than them. Things do change. The B1G even seems to be becoming irrelevant in football.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
And Temple will ever be the same as UConn? They're going to be our closest rival.

Years ago, Temple could have said UConn will never be the same as Temple. Now, we're higher up than them. Things do change. The B1G even seems to be becoming irrelevant in football.

As a UConn fan expect more, maybe you like settling but I don't

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan expect more, maybe you like settling but I don't
I have no expectations. There's much more to life than sports. If the people who run the show want to go to the ACC, cool. If they want to go to the B1G, cool. If they want to go D3, cool. It's not as if I was crying about us being in the Yankee Conference in football when we were. Or being D3 in hockey. Floored with D3 hockey players.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

What are you talking about? People were saying the pathetic level of Temple was the MINIMUM goal for UConn! Nobody ever, ever, and when I say ever, I mean EVER EVER, said UConn would never be the same as Temple.

Reaction Score
What are you talking about? People were saying the pathetic level of Temple was the MINIMUM goal for UConn! Nobody ever, ever, and when I say ever, I mean EVER EVER, said UConn would never be the same as Temple.
I think I am going to have to cut back on wasting my time on this ****ing board. Ever hear of Pop Warner? He coached at Temple. Temple has a winning record against us, all-time. Please, continue to rant on, complain, whatever.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think I am going to have to cut back on wasting my time on this ****ing board. Ever hear of Pop Warner? He coached at Temple. Temple has a winning record against us, all-time. Please, continue to rant on, complain, whatever.

Literally nobody, anywhere, cares that Pop Warner coached at Temple.

It isn't 1890.
Nobody is running the Wing-T.
Presidential commissions aren't being formed to curtail deaths across college football.
Harvard-Yale is not nationally relevant.

And nobody gives a third of a that Pop Warner coached at Temple.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

On behalf of a grateful message board, I thank you for your decision to lessen your presence here. And I wish you Godspeed in treating whatever chemical addiction or demonic possession was responsible for that post on Temple football.

It's all right to play the contrarian, but there's a fine line between being a contrarian and simply being a crackpot - you're definitely approaching crackpot with the Pop Warner/Temple thing. I had flashbacks of RutgersAl and his 'we invented football!' schtick.

Reaction Score
Literally nobody, anywhere, cares that Pop Warner coached at Temple.

It isn't 1890.
Nobody is running the Wing-T.
Presidential commissions aren't being formed to curtail deaths across college football.
Harvard-Yale is not nationally relevant.

And nobody gives a third of a that Pop Warner coached at Temple.
This is pretty stupid. All I was trying to say was Temple was relevant before UConn ever was. And here you go off with some soap opera tangent. As usual.

Reaction Score
Did you just say on par or better. I have heard it all. I wonder why some folks say anything at all. UMess is not the same as UConn and never will be.
on par in reference to the conference. if you were to read my previous posts, you would see i am not suggesting uconn and umass are equal.

i am suggesting that uconn doesnt need to compete with umass as a conference mate (on par) or with syr and bc (better)...

whatever your feelings on umass, if they are in the same conference, over time they will be on par with uconn.

Reaction Score
on par in reference to the conference. if you were to read my previous posts, you would see i am not suggesting uconn and umass are equal.

i am suggesting that uconn doesnt need to compete with umass as a conference mate (on par) or with syr and bc (better)...

whatever your feelings on umass, if they are in the same conference, over time they will be on par with uconn.

You mean like Indiana is on par with Michigan?

(Or, maybe, just maybe, are there factors beyond conference affiliation that effect whether or not two programs are on par with each other?)

Reaction Score
You mean like Indiana is on par with Michigan?

(Or, maybe, just maybe, are there factors beyond conference affiliation that effect whether or not two programs are on par with each other?)
Step off the pedestal chuckles...

The premise of my orignial post was specifically about the northeast region and that adding Umass to the same conference wasn't going to help Uconn. If you feel that (incompetently I might add), pointing out Indiana vs Michigan, two schools firmly and safely entrenched in the Big10, refutes my earlier post, you're wrong.

There is more than enough evidence to suggest schools do not want regional competition within the same conference. I don't have to look further than Uconn and BC... It is my opinion that adding Umass to the BE will only add another rival for northeast recruits. And yes, when talking to recruits, selling the BE over the MAC/A10 is an advantage that goes away should Umass join the BE.

Reaction Score
There is more than enough evidence to suggest schools do not want regional competition within the same conference.

Coward. Using this logic we should try to get into the Pac 10 so we don't have any regional competition, or we can go independent and just declare victory. How about forming a UCONN intramural football league so UCONN never loses?

Reaction Score
Coward. Using this logic we should try to get into the Pac 10 so we don't have any regional competition, or we can go independent and just declare victory. How about forming a UCONN intramural football league so UCONN never loses?
Coward? It's the basis for conference realignment. It's called money and getting as much as you can.
Non-Profit doesn't mean charity...

Ohio State / Cincy
WVU / Marshall
BC / Uconn
Uconn / Umass
Florida / Florida St
S. Carolina / clemson

I am sure there are other examples.

Reaction Score
Coward? It's the basis for conference realignment. It's called money and getting as much as you can.
Non-Profit doesn't mean charity...

Ohio State / Cincy
WVU / Marshall
BC / Uconn
Uconn / Umass
Florida / Florida St
S. Carolina / clemson
Texas / TCU / Texas Tech
UVA / Virginia Tech

I am sure there are other examples.

South Carolina / Clemson play every year. It is a huge rivalry game. Same with Florida / FSU. Those schools all hate each other but they make a ton of money off of the rivalry and one can easily argue that the rivalry helps fuel the schools desire to excel in the athletic arena.

Clearly you must think that BC is doing the right thing by not playing UCONN, I personally think BC is making a huge mistake by avoiding the rivalry.

The announced crowd for UCONN / UMASS this year was 35,000. The announced crowd for UCONN / NC State was 34,000. The best attended game at the Rent this season was the new rival that nobody wanted - Temple drew 37,000

BTW

UNC / Duke
USC / UCLA
Michigan / Michigan State
Auburn / Alabama
Oklahoma / Oklahoma State
Arizona / Arizona State
Washington / Washington State
Oregon / Oregon State
UVA / Virginia Tech
Texas / TCU / Texas Tech

I'm sure I am missing a bunch.

Reaction Score
South Carolina / Clemson play every year. It is a huge rivalry game. Same with Florida / FSU. Those schools all hate each other but they make a ton of money off of the rivalry and one can easily argue that the rivalry helps fuel the schools desire to excel in the athletic arena.

Clearly you must think that BC is doing the right thing by not playing UCONN, I personally think BC is making a huge mistake by avoiding the rivalry.

The announced crowd for UCONN / UMASS this year was 35,000. The announced crowd for UCONN / NC State was 34,000. The best attended game at the Rent this season was the new rival that nobody wanted - Temple drew 37,000

BTW

UNC / Duke
USC / UCLA
Auburn / Alabama
Arizona / Arizona State
Oregon / Oregon State
UVA / Virginia Tech
Texas / TCU / Texas Tech

Couple of adjustments here…
While Michigan State views Michigan as their biggest rival, Michigan views State like a young, unwanted little brother for it to kick around. Michigan’s hated is reserved for Ohio State and the feeling is mutual.
Ditto for Texas. A&M is the little brother while the other Texas schools are flies to be swatted away. Texas grades itself against Oklahoma and vise versa.
Competition drives success. Nearly all successful colleges (look at Harvard and Yale or MIT and CalTech on the academic side) and businesses (Ford & GM, Apple & IBM, followed by Mircosoft, followed by Google, Chase & Citi, Pepe’s & Sally’s Pizza in New Haven) have used a very competitive rival as a key motivational tool to push itself to the next level.
Conference realignment has badly hurt UConn’s development, especially in Football, by taking away natural rivals (BS, then Syracuse, and now Rutgers) that UConn can compete with, drive passion from, and grow with.

Reaction Score

BTW

UNC / Duke
USC / UCLA
Auburn / Alabama
Arizona / Arizona State
Oregon / Oregon State
UVA / Virginia Tech
Texas / TCU / Texas Tech

lets stay on point and not confuse playing someone vs sharing a conference.
FSU and clemson would like to get in the sec... there are two very obvious reasons they are not. florida and usc...
i'm sure they have no problem playing them annually. i never said i have a problem with uconn playing umass. again, what i said is its not in uconn's best interest for umass to join the big east.

i agree bc is making a mistake not playing uconn. however, if the roles were reversed, i wouldnt want them to join uconns's conference....

Reaction Score
On behalf of a grateful message board, I thank you for your decision to lessen your presence here. And I wish you Godspeed in treating whatever chemical addiction or demonic possession was responsible for that post on Temple football.

It's all right to play the contrarian, but there's a fine line between being a contrarian and simply being a crackpot - you're definitely approaching crackpot with the Pop Warner/Temple thing. I had flashbacks of RutgersAl and his 'we invented football!' schtick.

WOW.... i think you really might have chased him off. nice work!

Reaction Score
Mark Blauschun tonight says that Big East will meet Friday which we knew and that they will be trying to keep SDSU. Also that they will focus on adding Tulsa as a member.

http://ajerseyguy.com/

“It has been challenging to say the least,” said Aresco on Wednesday as he made his plans for the meeting in Dallas on Friday. “But we’re going to work our way through this and come up with a good league that will work for our members.”
Aresco would not discuss specifics, other than to say the meeting in Dallas would include “every aspect of what we are trying to do.”
The first issue will bet settle the football make up of the league for 2013. The Big East is fairly confident in can keep Louisville and Rutgers for one more season and then replace them with Tulane and East Carolina in 2014 and add Navy in football in 2015.
He has been constantly working on keeping San Diego State as part of the new group, using the argument that the Big East/ Big West (for other sports) is a more financially lucrative package for San Diego State than as a full member of the Mountain West.
The Big East expects a final decision by San Diego State in the next few weeks. San Diego State officials are expected to be in Dallas for Friday’s meetings.
With Boise State gone, Aresco is looking for another “western” based team, with Air Force and BYU the obvious main targets, but Tulsa has emerged as another contender as an all sports member."

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Tulsa and Southern Mississippi. Then they can re-name the league the Big Southern

Sent from my Lumia 920 via Windows 8. Now bite me Apple Droids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom