Katz: BE AD's meeting in Dallas on 1/11 | The Boneyard

Katz: BE AD's meeting in Dallas on 1/11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He says "remaining AD's" will meet. He says they will discuss their latest moves including the update on the television negotiations. He said that Tulsa, Umass, Rice and Souther Miss were all kicked around as possible additions if they decide to go that route. MWC has interest in SMU and Houston but SMU has already told them they are going to the Big East. What a disaster.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
AD meeting = nothing of consequence will be decided.

Reaction Score
It's a good thing the MWC is such a mess or the NNBE would really be in trouble

Reaction Score
Katz can't help himself. We talked about WAGs in another thread: Katz perpetuates some awful stories & economics that gives great juice to our belief that ESPN has this weird disintegration agenda.

Reaction Score
He said that Tulsa, Umass, Rice and Souther Miss were all kicked around as possible additions if they decide to go that route.
Beyond a desperate need for some schools, what's the attraction of Tulsa, Umess, Rice, and Southern Miss? Tulsa, with its 3-4K students? Rice, should cross-town Houston go to MWC? Southern Miss, for the overwhelming attraction of the 3rd school in a crap bag state? Umess, for being a crap bag program and school with a bunch of massholes? Can't fine our way to a better conference fast enough! :(

Reaction Score
Beyond a desperate need for some schools, what's the attraction of Tulsa, Umess, Rice, and Southern Miss? Tulsa, with its 3-4K students? Rice, should cross-town Houston go to MWC? Southern Miss, for the overwhelming attraction of the 3rd school in a crap bag state? Umess, for being a crap bag program and school with a bunch of m s? Can't fine our way to a better conference fast enough! :(
I'm pretty sure it is to get back to 12 schools, since Boise State left. That is the only reason I believe... to have a conference championship game.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
He said that Tulsa, Umass, Rice and Souther Miss were all kicked around as possible additions if they decide to go that route.

Which, reading between the lines, means that San Diego St is gone for the MWC (as everyone would expect). If SDSU was staying in the NBE, then they would have to also be looking at UNLV/Nevada/Fresno St/etc to give a western 'pod'.

Reaction Score
John Altavilla (@jaltavilla)
1/4/13, 10:58 AM
#UConn AD Warde Manuel on a 10-day tour on China sponsored by #NIKE. So don't expect finalization of Geno's new deal for some time.

So does Warde make it back from China in time to attend the AD meeting in Dallas or is Warde intentionally being taken out of the decision making process?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Which, reading between the lines, means that San Diego St is gone for the MWC (as everyone would expect). If SDSU was staying in the NBE, then they would have to also be looking at UNLV/Nevada/Fresno St/etc to give a western 'pod'.

This appears to be right. Some twittering about SDSU having notified Aresco, although mhver3 may be the primary source for that. Houston's message board is running it separately though. I am dumbfounded. It is one thing to have tried and failed, but it appears the Big East just walked away from a western division.

UCF, USF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Temple, Houston, SMU, Tulane. That is our league, and they are content to sit tight, or maybe add UMass. W. T. F.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know why this never seems to crack the hive mind here, but given that Air Force, BYU, Boise and perhaps SDSU have all decided that they do not want to join the Big East, perhaps the 'western division' walked away from the Big East and not the other way around.

Not that anything is guaranteed in the western conferences, but joining with the Big East instantly means that you're signing up for more realignment issues. Does UConn stay, does Cincy stay, etc. If both leave, do they want to stay married to the likes of Tulane and UCF and ECU and God only knows who else?

The MWC might just look cozy compared to what we've got going.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
John Altavilla (@jaltavilla)
1/4/13, 10:58 AM
#UConn AD Warde Manuel on a 10-day tour on China sponsored by #NIKE. So don't expect finalization of Geno's new deal for some time.

So does Warde make it back from China in time to attend the AD meeting in Dallas or is Warde intentionally being taken out of the decision making process?
How is this benefiting his employer? Warde may want to think about taking a pass on all the free trips. I know Buffalo may not have provided the same opportunities for world travel that he now enjoys, but our conference is a grease fire and there may be discussions of adding UMass Lowell that he needs to be present for.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't know why this never seems to crack the hive mind here, but given that Air Force, BYU, Boise and perhaps SDSU have all decided that they do not want to join the Big East, perhaps the 'western division' walked away from the Big East and not the other way around.

Not that anything is guaranteed in the western conferences, but joining with the Big East instantly means that you're signing up for more realignment issues. Does UConn stay, does Cincy stay, etc. If both leave, do they want to stay married to the likes of Tulane and UCF and ECU and God only knows who else?

The MWC is a lemonade stand financially, even compared to the Big East. Boise has a sweetheart deal that actually makes the rest of the league less valuable than before, and the Big East has an open TV contract in the best market we may ever see for these deals. The Big East held some cards relative to the MWC, it just chose, for some inexplicable reason, not to play them.

Reaction Score
How is this benefiting his employer? Warde may want to think about taking a pass on all the free trips. I know Buffalo may not have provided the same opportunities for world travel that he now enjoys, but our conference is a grease fire and there may be discussions of adding UMass Lowell that he needs to be present for.

This picture has apparently leaked of WM monitoring the lunch situation in China:

images

Reaction Score
The most interesting thing about that meeting is seeing which schools actually show up, which ones enter wearing dark glasses, and if anyone is actually try to crash it.

Reaction Score
UCF, USF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Temple, Houston, SMU, Tulane. That is our league, and they are content to sit tight, or maybe add UMass. W. T. F.

An honest question - why would any school - even Umass - want to join this league now? I think there is so much uncertainty that any school that choose to jump on board is insane.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
+100

Reaction Score
An honest question - why would any school - even Umass - want to join this league now? I think there is so much uncertainty that any school that choose to jump on board is insane.

Like time, happiness is relative. Every school currently in Conference USA or the MAC would be very willing to join. ECU and Tulane were thrilled to join.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agreed. Been saying that since we first "added" Boise and SDSU. Then it was all about AQ status. The new BCS playoff blows that away. So now, what's in it for them? Turmoil and a bunch of schools that don't fit together in any way? The MWC is a better conference for SDSU and Boise, and should be fairly stable, since the PAC really doesn't want any of them.

Reaction Score
UCF, USF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Temple, Houston, SMU, Tulane. That is our league, and they are content to sit tight, or maybe add UMass. W. T. F.[/quote

A year ago you wanted UMASS in the league. What Happened? I personally think the league needs another northeast school. Add UMASS, keep the Big East name and keep the basketball tournament in MSG.

Right now I think the only thing keeping Houston and SMU in the Big East is the idea of playing "Big East" basketball. Larry Brown did not sign on with SMU to compete in the MWC and Houston wants another shot at Phi Slamma Jamma. We need strong basketball in order to keep the football league together.

I also think part of the reason BC does not want us in the ACC is that they believe UMASS would be UCONN's replacement in the Big East and they don't want to see UMASS upgraded. If we add UMASS now it actually decreases BC's desire to keep us out of the ACC.

I know everyone fears losing games and recruits to UMASS but we need a rival in this league. Maybe a strong rival would help fuel the fire and desire in our Athletic Department. I bet if we lost to UMASS last year we'd have a new football coach right now.

Reaction Score

Don’t knock UMass Lowell, the River Hawks are going to be kicking UConn’s ass in hockey in the near term once (if) UConn joins Hockey East.

Reaction Score
They already have 10 when you add Navy.

That's 9 conference games and 16 basketball games. That should be good enough.

They don't need Tulsa and So. Miss.

Reaction Score
A year ago you wanted UMASS in the league. What Happened? I personally think the league needs another northeast school. Add UMASS, keep the Big East name and keep the basketball tournament in MSG.

Right now I think the only thing keeping Houston and SMU in the Big East is the idea of playing "Big East" basketball. Larry Brown did not sign on with SMU to compete in the MWC and Houston wants another shot at Phi Slamma Jamma. We need strong basketball in order to keep the football league together.

I also think part of the reason BC does not want us in the ACC is that they believe UMASS would be UCONN's replacement in the Big East and they don't want to see UMASS upgraded. If we add UMASS now it actually decreases BC's desire to keep us out of the ACC.

I know everyone fears losing games and recruits to UMASS but we need a rival in this league. Maybe a strong rival would help fuel the fire and desire in our Athletic Department. I bet if we lost to UMASS last year we'd have a new football coach right now.

UMass Amherst has its own problems right now. Based on the attendance figures at the Razor, the amount of dept that the football team is racking-up, and state funding cuts to the UMass system, they will be lucky to not to have their football team follow BU and Northeastern into oblivion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have a 3 hr layover in Dallas on the 11TH. Who knows what I'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom