OT: - Juwan Howard throws a punch | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Juwan Howard throws a punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is the 2nd time he has had to be held back from a physical altercation with an opposing coaching staff. It's now has to be considered a pattern of behavior. You could micro-analyze the replay all you want but defending Howard is a reach at this point. It's an emotional game and I am all for second chances, but he just all but blew his 2nd chance in my view. A long suspension with a zero tolerance policy moving forward or an outright firing are the only two options that should be considered at this point.

Reaction Score
Major programs: please stop hiring former players who are obviously in over their heads.
Looked like a great hire a year ago, and Howard had experience from Spoelstra.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
And not putting your hands on another grown man and trying to teach him some lesson shouldn't be too high for Gard either. Gard should have never put his hands on Howard.
He said something to him right before he grabbed him, you think it was a compliment?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The fact that you guys can't acknowledge that another grown man putting his hands on you, in public no less, to try to scold you is something that shouldn't be tolerated lets me know that we just come from different paths in life. I wasn't raised to be a sucker, maybe y'all were. I already said Howard was in the wrong for the slap, but Gard needed to keep it moving and let Howard do the same.
Read the post you’re responding to again. I find fault with all three actions.

I hold Howard responsible for the catalyst event.

I hold Gard responsible for taking that to a different level.

And I hold Howard responsible for taking it yet to another level. A level he should be fired for based on the example he set for his team and the fact that once removed from the immediate emotion of it, cannot recognize his responsibility in the matter and the consequence of those actions.

If you believe that once Gard took the actions he did that Howard acted in the only way he was afforded at that point then yes, we have decidedly different opinions on what was appropriate there.

If you equate the behavior of both men we see that differently too.

Reaction Score
He said something to him right before he grabbed him, you think it was a compliment?
And if having your arm touched is the justification for trying to punch someone, how do you justify that that's not even the guy he took a swing at? Makes no sense. Someone touches your arm so now you're free to launch haymakers at whomever you please?

Reaction Score
Doesn’t sound like a statement that will result in him being fired. My guess is a 5 game suspension (should be longer though)
Reaction from public, alums could change tgat

Reaction Score
Just stop. Sure, the Wisconsin coach shouldn’t have done that. But that doesn’t really have any relevance to how Howard reacted. It doesn’t justify punching someone. A grown man makes his point with throwing a punch. I get it, he’s prideful and felt wronged - but he’s a leader of young adults and represents an esteemed university. No way that can happen.
You guys got serious issues with reading, I already said Howard shouldn't have thrown the slap, get that thru your skull.

Reaction Score
You guys got serious issues with reading, I already said Howard shouldn't have thrown the slap, get that thru your skull.
I read it, thank you. But you keep coming back to Gard’s behavior and implying that they were both in the wrong. The two actions are not equivalent. You admit Howard’s behavior is wrong, while at the same time justifying it by pointing at Gard’s behavior. IMO, that’s a bad take.

Reaction Score
Gee, I'm shocked. :)

To me, not talking in a legal sense because I am not a lawyer, David Collins flagrant was much worse and scary. I thought he should have gotten a 5 game suspension

Reaction Score
Reaction from public, alums could change tgat
If the honeymoon is over then they just got a get out of jail free card. I doubt he gets fired though. Michigan will protect their own

Reaction Score
Lead him away is now the same as another man putting his hands on him to not only stop him from walking away, but also scold and admonish him. You guys are swinging at air with these false equivalencies man.
What’s interesting is that he didn’t punch the guy who put his hand on him. No tough guy went and punched someone 4 or so people removed from him. I betting the Donovan is happy with his choice of school.

Reaction Score
I would not even let Howard back on campus again if I was the Michigan President. And I would put Warde on notice for even bringing Howard on campus. I would be a little more lenient with the players. They were following the coaches lead.

This was not a “heat of the moment “ situation. Howard started a fight and got his players involved. Lifetime ban from the NCAA.

Couldn't agree more. I give the players a pass. They were following the lead of their coach. The amount of Michigan fans on Twitter blaming this on Gard is head scratching to say the least. I've watched This video over a dozen times and I don't see Howard keeps this job.

Reaction Score
I read it, thank you. But you keep coming back to Gard’s behavior and implying that they were both in the wrong. The two actions are not equivalent. You admit Howard’s behavior is wrong, while at the same time justifying it by pointing at Gard’s behavior. IMO, that’s a bad take.
If you watch that vid and see nothing wrong with Gard putting his hands on Howard and stopping him from walking away then there's no need for us to discuss further. If Howard is allowed to keep walking without Gard grabbing him and forcibly stopping him, then this is nothing.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Howard's press conference is a bad look...

Watch "Juwan Howard addresses fight between Michigan basketball and Wisconsin" on YouTube

Interesting choice to praise the “temperament” of Wisconsin’s Johnny Davis during this particular press conference…

Reaction Score
If you watch that vid and see nothing wrong with Gard putting his hands on Howard and stopping him from walking away then there's no need for us to discuss further. If Howard is allowed to keep walking without Gard grabbing him and forcibly stopping him, then this is nothing.
Gard couldn't "forcibly" stop Howard if his life depended on it. And how do you know there was any "admonishing" or "scolding" going on? Howard was the one wagging his finger in Gard's face and seemed to be doing the admonishing

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Of course Gard is in the wrong for that. It's not as bad as what Howard did, but I agree Gard deserves some punishment too.

Reaction Score
You’re just not getting it. Maybe an example will help. If someone cuts you off while driving, they’re in the wrong. But it doesn’t justify you getting out of your car and punching them. Sure, the punch would’ve never happened had they not cut you off. But they’re not equivalent actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom