July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Van Slooten or Shay Bolin which do you think a better fit for UCONN at the big wing (stretch 4) in class of '22?
Games are similar. I’d take the one with the best motor and desire to be a husky. Bollin may have a slight edge from the arc. For me it would come down to attitude. I want nothing but killers!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Games are similar. I’d take the one with the best motor and desire to be a husky. Bollin may have a slight edge from the arc. For me it would come down to attitude. I want nothing but killers!!
Bollin has also visited UCONN. I'd take Bollin as she appears to be more rugged and can go inside the paint and bang occasionally.

Reaction Score
Bolin is banging 3s from NBA range and is willing to go inside. Like Ducharme, those Massachusetts kids got some dog in ‘em. I’ll take her.
I like dogs! Killer dogs

Reaction Score
I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that whatever position the school has down is more accurate than whatever position you think is best. You say it all so matter of factory like you have it all absolutely figured out lol.

I’m not picking on you but much more goes into determining positions than just height. Gabby literally had stints at the 5 at 5’11 while 6’4 KLS was at the 2. Also positions are becoming much more fluid in the modern game. Versatility is emphasized now allowing coaches to blend skill sets together resulting in a much more interchangeable and dynamic 5 man unit. The black and white days of a prototypical 1-5are really over and the line is much blurrier now imo

I don't have it all figured out. For example I was wrong about Geno starting Danger vs I thought he'd start Stevens. But i do have it figured out regarding Edwards (imo). You aren't picking on me because many people and I have her playing PF and it's an opinion. But I'm going to go out on the limb and tell you that you are way wrong.

Geno sometimes gets criticized for some of the moves he makes or some of the players he recruits and it's even done with non-UCONN coaches that are criticized. They all know a lot but we still offer opinions why they are wrong. So I can't criticize some unknown person who identified Edwards as a guard because he or she is a member of the school? I have to follow "Well if it is posted by the someone unknown to most of us from the school then it must be true?"

As far as your last paragraph it's nice in theory but not in reality. So Liv is not a center? Her and Paige you won't be able to tell the difference that one is a PG and one is a center? What about Paige guarding Power forwards inside? You are okay with her guarding bigger PF's potentially just as good as Edwards might? When Baylor ran those two bigs a couple of years ago and won the title, you see no difference between them and guards? They are prototypical bigs, aren't they?

There is more to what you suggest. Some positions get skewed but others don't. IMO it's not as much as the game is changing-- it's just that you are misreading what's happening. The quality, athleticism, strength and size of the player determines your style. If you can't understand that Kalani Brown was a center and Cox was a PF (when Brown was in) and neither were pg's then I don't know what to say. That is about as far as removed imaginable vs what you are saying.

So you aren't picking on me. We just have complete opposite opinions on how we think the game is played. So ofc we're probably not going to agree on Edwards. This site allows difference of opinions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't have it all figured out. For example I was wrong about Geno starting Danger vs I thought he'd start Stevens. But i do have it figured out regarding Edwards (imo). You aren't picking on me because many people and I have her playing PF and it's an opinion. But I'm going to go out on the limb and tell you that you are way wrong.

Geno sometimes gets criticized for some of the moves he makes or some of the players he recruits and it's even done with non-UCONN coaches that are criticized. They all know a lot but we still offer opinions why they are wrong. So I can't criticize some unknown person who identified Edwards as a guard because he or she is a member of the school? I have to follow "Well if it is posted by the someone unknown to most of us from the school then it must be true?"

As far as your last paragraph it's nice in theory but not in reality. So Liv is not a center? Her and Paige you won't be able to tell the difference that one is a PG and one is a center? What about Paige guarding Power forwards inside? You are okay with her guarding bigger PF's potentially just as good as Edwards might? When Baylor ran those two bigs a couple of years ago and won the title, you see no difference between them and guards? They are prototypical bigs, aren't they?

There is more to what you suggest. Some positions get skewed but others don't. IMO it's not as much as the game is changing-- it's just that you are misreading what's happening. The quality, athleticism, strength and size of the player determines your style. If you can't understand that Kalani Brown was a center and Cox was a PF (when Brown was in) and neither were pg's then I don't know what to say. That is about as far as removed imaginable vs what you are saying.

So you aren't picking on me. We just have complete opposite opinions on how we think the game is played. So ofc we're probably not going to agree on Edwards. This site allows difference of opinions.
For the record I offered zero opinion on where I thought Edwards would play cause I’ve never seen her play (and honestly doubt you have either) aside from some useless mixtapes so I’m not sure why you even went off on that entire tangent. I find you really condescending and frankly downright annoying do rather then continue this I’m just gonna if it’s you and move on with my day.

Reaction Score
A compilation probably posted before, but Courtside Films tweeted it again today so here it is. Can never watch Paige enough anyway.

Girl's got it on a string. Gonna break some ankles.

Reaction Score
For the record I offered zero opinion on where I thought Edwards would play cause I’ve never seen her play (and honestly doubt you have either) aside from some useless mixtapes so I’m not sure why you even went off on that entire tangent. I find you really condescending and frankly downright annoying do rather then continue this I’m just gonna if it’s you and move on with my day.

Yeah right., And your post wasn't condescending to me? And I also disagreed with your vision how you think the game is.

I don't find this valid at all -- imo -- "Versatility is emphasized now allowing coaches to blend skill sets together resulting in a much more interchangeable and dynamic 5 man unit. The black and white days of a prototypical 1-5are really over and the line is much blurrier now imo."

SO instead of LOL'd you -which you so arrogantly posted to me- I offered an opinion. Your opinion was to go with what the school said while trying to demean my opinion. AN opinion that many share that Edwards will be a PF.

And please stop with backing off now-- you specifically said -- "I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that whatever position the school has down is more accurate than whatever position you think is best."

If this isn't condescending then I don';t what to say. Further you said you offered zero opinion. How is the bold "zero opinion" when you say you are going to agree with what the school said???????????

You're right -- we agree on something - we're done. But you weren't being condescending telling me sarcastically that I have it all figured out, right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've watched 2 of Edwards high school games and in both of them she started as the 4/PF and when Lattimore got into foul trouble (she did both times) Edwards slid to the 5/PF position. I can't say she was doing C work but she was defending post and setting up offense under the basket rather than out side the paint.

When I saw her play some with the Canadian team she was playing 3/SF most of the time and I think she was doing that because at her age up against grown women she just didn't have the size. She's even stronger now than when I saw her play with national team so think she could play 4/PF with women now.

Reaction Score
I can remember when there was a center, 2 forwards and 2 guards. Then the forwards were divided into small/power, followed by guards, sg/pg. Now, after reading this thread I have discovered that there are many positions on a team;

point guard
shooting guard
combo guard
small wing
big wing
small forward
power forward

So far the only indispensable position player is the power forward. You can't win a title without one. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I can remember when there was a center, 2 forwards and 2 guards. Then the forwards were divided into small/power, followed by guards, sg/pg. Now, after reading this thread I have discovered that there are many positions on a team;

point guard
shooting guard
combo guard
small wing
big wing
small forward
power forward

So far the only indispensable position player is the power forward. You can't win a title without one. :rolleyes:

Who was South Carolina's PF when they won their title?

When ND won their title, who was their PF?

Not arguing.

Reaction Score

point guard
shooting guard
combo guard
small wing
big wing
small forward
power forward

When I watch a basketball game they only list three positions: G, F, or C. So I guess that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom