July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Vanslooten says she wants to play where her family can see her. I don't know where she lives.
Well, EVERY UCONN game is televised on one network so... UCONN could still work! :D

Reaction Score
Well, EVERY UCONN game is televised on one network so... UCONN could still work! :D
And it's looking like that's going to be the only way to watch for a while.

Reaction Score
I recall seeing KK Bransford in the stands at a UConn game along with a few other recruits. Has anyone heard additional about her recruitment?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
And it's looking like that's going to be the only way to watch for a while.
Interesting thought: A recruit decides to stay near home, so her family and friends can watch her in person. Then a pandemic hits and spectators are prohibited. Better to choose a team that has all games televised.

Reaction Score
CD is wearing #13 in the team photo above. Adam's is #20.
Here's another photo, of sone interest, of Caroline.
20 looks to be slouching a bit and they are wearing the same exact shoe so I'm saying Ducharme is at least 6' 2" and maybe more. I've watched her play a lot and with some additional weight room work together with Saylor at a very similar size, that's 2 players who could play positions 2-4 depending on the game plan. Personally I think they are perfect 3/4 players for the Big East.... They are both now the biggest players on their high school team and play positions 1-5.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow! Looking like they were running UConn's offense. Just plug her in.

Toying with them. Super change of pace and point guard instincts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I remember when Kareem was hurt for the Lakers in the last game of the NBA finals, so they had their point guard play the post. Sometimes you do what you have to do.
You always do what you have to do if you want to win. That is one of the more painful games from my teen years so than you for bringing it up. :mad: So many myths have grown up around that game. One of those myths is Magic being the PG. The PG on those Laker teams was actually Norm Nixon. Magic did not hit his full stride as the Lakers PG until Nixon was traded away. Another thing that help the myth is that the broadcast rigidly stuck to the FFCGG designation for both teams and incorrectly designated Magic as the center. Michael Cooper was Kareem's replacement in the starting lineup and a correct designation of the Lakers lineup should have been FF(G/F)GG. On defense Magic guarded Caldwell Jones and Dr. J. who were both forwards. If Magic had played center he would have been matched against Daryl Dawkins and that might not have gone well for Magic who had recently recovered from the flu.

It helps when your pg is 6’9”.

Norm Nixon is not 6'9"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Wow! Looking like they were running UConn's offense. Just plug her in.
Had to watch that a few times to fully appreciate what I was seeing. The second highlight is of Jackson back to the basket posted up in a horns set. If Geno is watching, and I hope he is, he's got to love that kind of versatility from a perimeter play maker.

Reaction Score
Had to watch that a few times to fully appreciate what I was seeing. The second highlight is of Jackson back to the basket posted up in a horns set. If Geno is watching, and I hope he is, he's got to love that kind of versatility from a perimeter play maker.
I want her.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

“In terms of recruiting, Madison has received offers from Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Alabama, and UCONN which she said was her "biggest."

Booker is ranked 4th by Blue Star and 3rd by ASGR.

Kinda shocked she'd have a UConn offer already. Bueckers and Fudd were the last two I can recall getting one prior to the start of their sophomore season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
You always do what you have to do if you want to win. That is one of the more painful games from my teen years so than you for bringing it up. :mad: So many myths have grown up around that game. One of those myths is Magic being the PG. The PG on those Laker teams was actually Norm Nixon. Magic did not hit his full stride as the Lakers PG until Nixon was traded away. Another thing that help the myth is that the broadcast rigidly stuck to the FFCGG designation for both teams and incorrectly designated Magic as the center. Michael Cooper was Kareem's replacement in the starting lineup and a correct designation of the Lakers lineup should have been FF(G/F)GG. On defense Magic guarded Caldwell Jones and Dr. J. who were both forwards. If Magic had played center he would have been matched against Daryl Dawkins and that might not have gone well for Magic who had recently recovered from the flu.

Norm Nixon is not 6'9"

Magic did jump center, losing the tap to Caldwell Jones, and I think he hit one or two baby hooks in the lane to vaguely remind some of Kareem’s skyhook. But the key to the Lakers victory was that Magic was a matchup nightmare for the 76ers the entire game, setting up all over the court, depending on who was guarding him.

As I recall the 76ers alternately attempted to guard Magic with Caldwell Jones, Dr J and Bobby Jones to no avail. Magic’s stat line was 42 pts, 15 rbs & 7 ast. He scored from everywhere. He also earned the series MVP. I do recall that Philly fans were less than pleased with the outcome.

One last point. While Nixon may have been the pg, Magic was the guy creating the Lakers offense more often than not. For the series Nixon had 42 assists while Magic had 52.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Booker is ranked 4th by Blue Star and 3rd by ASGR.

Kinda shocked she'd have a UConn offer already. Bueckers and Fudd were the last two I can recall getting one prior to the start of their sophomore season.
She's ranked #18 by HG, but it's early. That can change.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Magic did jump center, losing the tap to Caldwell Jones, and I think he hit one or two baby hooks in the lane to vaguely remind some of Kareem’s skyhook. But the key to the Lakers victory was that Magic was a matchup nightmare for the 76ers the entire game, setting up all over the court, depending on who was guarding him.

As I recall the 76ers alternately attempted to guard Magic with Caldwell Jones, Dr J and Bobby Jones to no avail. Magic’s stat line was 42 pts, 15 rbs & 7 ast. He scored from everywhere. He also earned the series MVP. I do recall that Philly fans were less than pleased with the outcome.

One last point. While Nixon may have been the pg, Magic was the guy creating the Lakers offense more often than not. For the series Nixon had 42 assists while Magic had 52.
That might be the understatement of the century right there in bold. The entire city had assumed game 7 would be played. It was indeed Magic's Cheeks, Hollins, and Bobby Jones were superb defenders but not on this day.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
That might be the understatement of the century right there in bold. The entire city had assumed game 7 would be played. It was indeed Magic's Cheeks, Hollins, and Bobby Jones were superb defenders but not on this day.
While the argument over the GOAT typically revolves around MJ or LeBron, as a lifelong Celtic fan, I always felt Magic was the most difficult player to defend in the history of the NBA. His size, strength and handle allowed him to get to wherever he wanted on the court. His court awareness and passing ability made everyone on his team better.

At first, he wasn’t much of an outside shooter, so defenders backed off him. But eventually he fixed that part of his game sufficiently to become virtually unguardable.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

“In terms of recruiting, Madison has received offers from Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Alabama, and UCONN which she said was her "biggest."

Interesting ideas about her future coaching staff

However, she has some qualities that she would like to see in a school that she will commit to. One of the key things that she is looking for is "a coach that will let me be me - not a post player because that's not my strong suit; I'm more of a wing. Like my (Alabama Southern) Starz AAU coach lets me play center, point guard, and bring the ball down the court."

She also said that she wants to play for a coach who is "goofy off the court because I like to have fun." :eek:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

However, she has some qualities that she would like to see in a school that she will commit to. One of the key things that she is looking for is "a coach that will let me be me - not a post player because that's not my strong suit; I'm more of a wing. Like my (Alabama Southern) Starz AAU coach lets me play center, point guard, and bring the ball down the court."

She also said that she wants to play for a coach who is "goofy off the court because I like to have fun." :eek:

A. That sounds very much like a 14/15 year old, which is why I always raise an eyebrow at super early commits — what they think they want isn’t usually what they want if they mature a little.
B. That doesn’t sound like Geno. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
While the argument over the GOAT typically revolves around MJ or LeBron, as a lifelong Celtic fan, I always felt Magic was the most difficult player to defend in the history of the NBA. His size, strength and handle allowed him to get to wherever he wanted on the court. His court awareness and passing ability made everyone on his team better.

At first, he wasn’t much of an outside shooter, so defenders backed off him. But eventually he fixed that part of his game sufficiently to become virtually unguardable.
I also have Magic very high on my GOAT ranking and usually lead with this stat whenever an argument breaks out. 5 Time Champion and 4 time runner up. Each of Magic's Finals loses it took a HoF / ALL-TIME player (Isaiah Thomas, Larry Bird, Dr. J, and Michael Jordan) to beat him.

Reaction Score

Sounds like she wants to play positionless basketball. A UConn trademark....

Reaction Score
In that game, Magic matched up with two 6'11" Philadelphia 76ers post players, Caldwell Jones and Daryl Dawkins. While both were decent players, neither were considered top centers in the NBA.

This is why sometimes size is overrated. However, in 79-80 Dawkins was actually pretty good though not "real good." They did get to the Finals though. And the 76ers had 3rd best record in NBA. Two games away from being tied for 1st and Dawkins was 2nd on his team in scoring. He averaged over 17 ppg in the playoffs while shooting 52.9% from the floor.

He outweighed Magic by 35 lbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32