July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nicole Melious has decommitted from Purdue. She still puts up huge numbers during AAU, recently having a 52 point game and has only been held to under 30 in two of her 13 games.

Melious is picking up offers from, er, not the biggest names on the block: schools like Wisconsin Milwaukee, Fairleigh Dickinson, Coppin State, and Rhode Island. Her biggest offers so far seem to be from Syracuse, Ohio State, and Georgia Tech.

Reaction Score
Melious is picking up offers from, er, not the biggest names on the block: schools like Wisconsin Milwaukee, Fairleigh Dickinson, Coppin State, and Rhode Island. Her biggest offers so far seem to be from Syracuse, Ohio State, and Georgia Tech.

she's going to have to decide if she wants to be a big fish in a little pond or vice versa.........

Reaction Score
She can beat out Day-Wilson

Reaction Score
I also have Magic very high on my GOAT ranking and usually lead with this stat whenever an argument breaks out. 5 Time Champion and 4 time runner up. Each of Magic's Finals loses it took a HoF / ALL-TIME player (Isaiah Thomas, Larry Bird, Dr. J, and Michael Jordan) to beat him.
If rings are the "Big" thing, Bill Russell is the GOAT {& a BIG, as we on the BY are always looking for more Bigs! ; )}
Interestingly, Red Auerbach won exactly ZERO Championships without Bill Russell.

Bill Russell also won championships as player/coach as he took over from Red Auerbach (2 of those 3 years) and had 9 Championships under Red Auerbach, for a total of 11. More significantly, he had to battle Wilt Chamberlain among other HOF centers on a nightly basis with a much smaller league, he had to work against them more often....

Reaction Score
If rings are the "Big" thing, Bill Russell is the GOAT {& a BIG, as we on the BY are always looking for more Bigs! ; )}
Interestingly, Red Auerbach won exactly ZERO Championships without Bill Russell.

Bill Russell also won championships as player/coach as he took over from Red Auerbach (2 of those 3 years) and had 9 Championships under Red Auerbach, for a total of 11. More significantly, he had to battle Wilt Chamberlain among other HOF centers on a nightly basis with a much smaller league, he had to work against them more often....

And as far as HOF opponents Russell had to face LA with West, Baylor & Wilt in more than one final. That's 3 HOF'ers.

Reaction Score
And as far as HOF opponents Russell had to face LA with West, Baylor & Wilt in more than one final. That's 3 HOF'ers.
The Lakers and Celtics met in the 68/69 season finals. What other final did they meet in, when the Lakers had West, Baylor and Chamberlain on the roster ?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Bill Russell was a great basketball player (most championships) and is probably a better humanitarian. He is not The GOAT of basketball however. Wilt averaged more RPG than Bill (22.9 vs 22.5) and almost twice as many PPG (30.1 vs 15.1). Wilt also has an 80 game season on the books where he averaged 50.4 PPG.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Looks like the Celts beat the Lakers in 1962, 63, 65, 66, 68 and 69. Baylor and West were on all of those Laker teams. Wilt was on the 69 team but not the others. Wilt did lose to the Celts in 64 Finals as a member of the San Francisco Warriors. He won titles in 67 with the Sixers and 72 with the Lakers.

Another Celtics favorite of mine is K. C. Jones. 8-0 as a player in NBA Finals, plus two rings as an Assistant Coach and two as a Head Coach (84 and 86). Plus two NCAA titles with San Francisco. What a winner.

I had the good fortune of playing nine holes with him about 20 years ago. Skipped out of work one afternoon, course (Rockledge in West Hartford) was fairly quiet. The starter told me I could go right up to the first tee and join Mr. Jones. Yep, K. C. He was a delight, could not have been nicer. What a class act. Unforgettable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Lakers and Celtics met in the 68/69 season finals. What other final did they meet in, when the Lakers had West, Baylor and Chamberlain on the roster ?

Looks like the Celts beat the Lakers in 1962, 63, 65, 66, 68 and 69. Baylor and West were on all of those Laker teams. Wilt was on the 69 team but not the others. Wilt did lose to the Celts in 64 Finals as a member of the San Francisco Warriors. He won titles in 67 with the Sixers and 72 with the Lakers.

I loved the Celtic title won at LA in a 7th game with thousands of balloons above the court in nets, ready to be released "when" the Lakers won. After the game Red was interviewed and the first thing he said was "look at all those balloons, don't they look silly up there now", or words to that effect.

Reaction Score
Regular Season

PlayerGWLGSMPFGFGAFG%FTFTAFT%TRBASTPFPTS
Bill Russell9457375.915.9.3702.44.4.54322.94.43.614.2
Wilt Chamberlain94375712.024.6.4885.912.0.49328.13.829.9

Playoff

PlayerGWLGSMPFGFGAFG%FTFTAFT%TRBASTPFPTS
Bill Russell4929205.914.0.4173.25.2.60924.74.93.914.9
Wilt Chamberlain49202910.019.6.5085.811.8.49028.04.12.425.7
I will go with the wins over stats every time. In college, I was recruited to play back-up center on a team that ended up winning the intra-murals for basketball, not for my offensive skills. I would make my five fouls count, and wear out the center who would typically be 5 - 7 inches taller, so our 6' 8" center could use his serious offensive skills against the now more gravitationally-challenged opposing center. Therefore, I like the personal fouls per game 'advantage' of Bill Russell (and the wins). Thanks for the post, VC!

Back in the day so much was discussed about the first take-down in wrestling, and it is still the first tie-breaker in nearly every level of wrestling including team scores in High School and college folk-style wrestling. I was not that concerned because I knew I could score five-point moves by reversing them to their back, if not get the pin. My brother was the best at pinning his opponent when down by 7 - 12 points, my mom could not watch his matches, so I decided to light up the scoreboard and be ahead by a bunch before pinning my opponent when they were completely exhausted.

In basketball, the great players keep those around them in the flow of the game throughout so they can use their energy and superior skill to win the game at the end. Great players make those around them better than they thought they could be. Games can be lost in the first half, but games generally are won at the end of the fourth quarter and OT.

The GOAT discussion will aways be subjective based on what each individual holds dear, and that is just fine. It always will be a generational thing. No worries!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are any of these guys being recruited to UConn for the 2020 season?
Point taken. I'll try to get us back on track. I have a new crush which is really an old crush. CD visited her in Florida at the conclusion of her Freshman year before USA basketball trials. She made the U16 team, was spectacular in the tryouts but didn't show much in the games. Love the defensive intensity with which she plays. A very complete offensive and defensive tool kit, a great motor, and a "college ready frame" that would allow her to play inside and the skills to play on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
Point taken. I'll try to get us back on track. I have a new crush which is really an old crush. CD visited her in Florida at the conclusion of her Freshman year before USA basketball trials. She made the U16 team, was spectacular in the tryouts but didn't show much in the games. Love the defensive intensity with which she plays. A very complete offensive and defensive tool kit, a great motor, and a "college ready frame" that would allow her to play inside and the skills to play on the perimeter.

Wow. I don't see a weakness here. The skills, strength, and body control are elite for a college player. With the different skill set, she'd be a perfect complement to Brady's power game and IMO would be one of the very top wings in the country as a freshman.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Wow. I don't see a weakness here. The skills, strength, and body control are elite for a college player. With the different skill set, she'd be a perfect complement to Brady's power game and IMO would be one of the very top wings in the country as a freshman.
Agree with you. The only slight issue I saw when she played at USA basketball U16 where she didn't start was that she had a hard time getting engaged and staying that way=slightly pouting. Probably understandable however she probably never come off the bench since pee wee basketball. She must outgrow that. She oozes talent and I though it was especially interesting that it was CD who went to see her play as a Freshman.

Reaction Score
Agree with you. The only slight issue I saw when she played at USA basketball U16 where she didn't start was that she had a hard time getting engaged and staying that way=slightly pouting. Probably understandable however she probably never come off the bench since pee wee basketball. She must outgrow that. She oozes talent and I though it was especially interesting that it was CD who went to see her play as a Freshman.
Yes, I’ve had that reaction with a couple kids when they didn’t play the minutes they expected right off. The good ones come around when you challenge them to play so well that they force you to keep them on the floor.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Barker has been very inefficient throughout her two years of high school. Perhaps that's the result of youth and inexperience that will improve in the future. She certainly is athletic and talented.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Barker has been very inefficient throughout her two years of high school. Perhaps that's the result of youth and inexperience that will improve in the future. She certainly is athletic and talented.
Inefficient how? That usually means high turnovers & low shooting percentage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom