July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
To me she is more of an Asjha Jones type of player and gives us power underneath big time.

She came to mind for me as well. Asjha averaged 14.0 and 6.6 for the 2001-2002 team and overall had over 1500 career points. Solid pro career in WNBA and for USA.

As good as Asjha was, I think Edwards has a higher upside. Most notably, a better ball handler and shooter. While Edwards has three point range, Asjha was 8 for 25 from three for her senior year and only had 17 threes for her entire UConn career. (Side note - neither Swin Cash nor Tamika Williams made a three during their UConn careers.)

Nevertheless, I would be very happy she contributes as much to the program as Asjha did.

Reaction Score
To me she is more of an Asjha Jones type of player and gives us power underneath big time.
Edwards is very underrated by Hoopz. She looks like the combined of Swin and Asiha. But Edwards handles the ball much smoothly and strongly.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The only players at any level I could find with more than Paige were:

Skylar Diggins: 1M
Hailey Van Lith: 619K
Candace Parker: 617K
Sabrina Ionescu: 519K

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Paige pass them up (maybe not Diggins) by the end of her UConn career.
Wow, Van Lith has 619K followers? what's up with that?

Reaction Score
I think her versatility and ability will insure significant minutes. Ideally she takes over the starting PF position. Then if needed (probably will be) provides backup minutes to Liv assuming Piath is not yet ready for prime-time.
In addition with the ball-handling skills, could be used some at SF, which I think she could handle but with this team I think she is more needed at the PF and C positions.

Griffin can still get serious minutes if that plays out, because she would presumably get almost all of Edwards backup PF minutes, normally also be in the game at PF when Edwards is backing up Liv, and could be used on a spot basis at SF, particularly with a pressing defensive unit.

Obviously I am not in the small-ball camp with Makarat or Westbrook at PF for significant periods. That could work, but if Edwards is the real deal and Griffin is way above average as well, there is no need in my opinion to force players into positions that are far from their best.

That works both ways, Edwards, Griffin and Mir could all be pretty good legitimate options at SF. They are probably better at PF though and if healthy SF minutes can be covered by Makarat and Westbrook. So with a full healthy lineup IMO there is little need to look beyond Edwards, Griffin and Mir at PF, or Makarat and Westbrook at SF.

But if I was betting on her future, I think Edwards will be a starter soon at PF, the principle backup C this year, and a future AA and high WNBA draft pick, that with Paige will be cornerstone for the next four years.
I agree with a lot of this especially your expectations for her. I think however that Aubrey is the starter at PF this year. This was discussed at depth in prior posts. I see AE coming in first as a sub either for Aubrey or Liv and I actually like AE a lot defensively which means the press to me with Aubrey. Mir and AE in the frontcourt at times during the press. Mir is also a great defender. AE is a tremendous addition to this team and fills the void we have had for years.

Reaction Score
Wanted to start this thread to get back in monthly routine of having a thread to discuss UCONN WBB recruiting.
2021- All the alternatives to Azzi Fudd have dried up with the last possibility Kayla McPherson excluding UCONN in her down select.
Kiki Iriafen has included UCONN in her top 5 and Jillian Hollinngshead has still not committed.

I would obviously love to have both Azzi and Kiki at UCONN, would like to have at least one and would hate to lose out on both.

View attachment 56068

There is no alternative to Fudd. Only lesser players. If she goes elsewhere UConn still has both Poffenbarger and Ducharme committed and I am fine with them.

Reaction Score

She came to mind for me as well. Asjha averaged 14.0 and 6.6 for the 2001-2002 team and overall had over 1500 career points. Solid pro career in WNBA and for USA.

As good as Asjha was, I think Edwards has a higher upside. Most notably, a better ball handler and shooter. While Edwards has three point range, Asjha was 8 for 25 from three for her senior year and only had 17 threes for her entire UConn career. (Side note - neither Swin Cash nor Tamika Williams made a three during their UConn careers.)

Nevertheless, I would be very happy she contributes as much to the program as Asjha did.
I would also. I love her defense. I visualize her, Mir and Aubrey on the court when we press at times and think it will be a very lethal combination.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That's new! And doesn't Bueckers look like she's at least an inch taller than Fudd?

All video and photo evidence has suggested for quite some time that Paige is a couple inches taller. That's why I've never bought both being listed at 5-11.

Reaction Score
Future Terrapin, Blue Devil, Fighting Irish or maybe Hen. “We’ve run her off!!
Well if she’s hoping to commit soon, that might take Duke out of the picture, I can’t see them having enough time to make up ground now.

Reaction Score
I would also. I love her defense. I visualize her, Mir and Aubrey on the court when we press at times and think it will be a very lethal combination.

Not just the press. These two are both considered elite level rebounders and while neither is a classic 4 UConn wouldn't be the first team to win a title without one. They might be compromised if an opponent starts 2 elite level posts, one playing the 4 like Brown/Cox 2 years ago, but I don't see a team with that level of elite front court players, certainly not in the BE, UConn's only likely opponents.
And while I don't deny I would love UConn to have a big strong and highly skilled 6'4" forward I don't see them. UConn does have one coming for the 2022 season in Brady (albeit an inch short). Any available player of her size isn't near her level and will scare off lesser skilled recruits.

Reaction Score
Future Terrapin, Blue Devil, Fighting Irish or maybe Hen. “We’ve run her off!!
I think the paige recruitment could end up back firing , but i wouldn't say shes been run off just yet.

Reaction Score
Not just the press. These two are both considered elite level rebounders and while neither is a classic 4 UConn wouldn't be the first team to win a title without one. They might be compromised if an opponent starts 2 elite level posts, one playing the 4 like Brown/Cox 2 years ago, but I don't see a team with that level of elite front court players, certainly not in the BE, UConn's only likely opponents.
And while I don't deny I would love UConn to have a big strong and highly skilled 6'4" forward I don't see them. UConn does have one coming for the 2022 season in Brady (albeit an inch short). Any available player of her size isn't near her level and will scare off lesser skilled recruits.

Edwards is the definition of a "big strong and highly skilled 6'3 forward!"

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
All I can say is

1594844951896.png

Reaction Score
I think the paige recruitment could end up back firing , but i wouldn't say shes been run off just yet.
Truthfully none of us know. What I do know is, if she decides on anyplace other than UConn, I’m on to the next one.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's new! And doesn't Bueckers look like she's at least an inch taller than Fudd?
I'm thinking Paige is 6'0" and Azzi is 5'11". After Azzi signs. I'll try to get a photo with her to assess her height on the Hartley Unit Meter.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Truthfully none of us know. What I do know is, if she decides on anyplace other than UConn, I’m on to the next one.

I would brood on that alot more than even Boston. :oops:

Reaction Score
Tuck was ranked No 1 early in HS but missed a lot of time in with her knee(s) but still ended up top 10. Tuck was the only player in the country able to neutralize Stewart, according to Stewart herself. It's a stretch to project Edwards into that class of player. Hopefully in 2 years she will be there and still be healthy.
Just having this conversation is encouraging for Edward's future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom