July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

July 2020 UCONN recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of this especially your expectations for her. I think however that Aubrey is the starter at PF this year. This was discussed at depth in prior posts. I see AE coming in first as a sub either for Aubrey or Liv and I actually like AE a lot defensively which means the press to me with Aubrey. Mir and AE in the frontcourt at times during the press. Mir is also a great defender. AE is a tremendous addition to this team and fills the void we have had for years.
I agree. I think Liv and Aubrey start in the front court and Edwards comes in for the first one to get either a bad foul or 2 good fouls.

Thanks to everyone who brought up Asja Jones in comparison to Edwards. I hadn't thought of her but its axgood comparison.

Reaction Score
So why does Geno have her listed as a guard on his roster? :)
Because I don't think he cares... I bet they list themselves and he just coaches basketball players....Gabby started as a guard and ended as a forward. I think Pheesa was even a guard/forward as a freshman and ended as a forward. Doesnt Liv list herself as a F rather than a C too? With UConn I really don't pay much attention to those designations since they play such positionless bball.

Reaction Score
A lot more! Edwards is taller, stronger, and more athletic than Tuck, if she can continue to develop(I think she will) and polish her game, Edwards will be one of the best EVER to play at UConn, her ceiling is just that high.
I really think Tuck deserves more love and respect. I compared Edwards to Tuck because of my respect and admiration for a healthy Tuck game. I believe Tuck gave a lot more to UConn then y'all give her credit for, granny knees and all.

Reaction Score
Because I don't think he cares... I bet they list themselves and he just coaches basketball players....Gabby started as a guard and ended as a forward. I think Pheesa was even a guard/forward as a freshman and ended as a forward. Doesnt Liv list herself as a F rather than a C too? With UConn I really don't pay much attention to those designations since they play such positionless bball.

All this position talk doesn't make sense. Calling someone a guard or forward on a UConn team is little different. They pass the ball up court when pressed and the forwards are involved in that. Forwards are expected to run the floor as much as the guards, are needed to be able to hit a 3 when left open and are expected to be able to guard the perimeter in the switching MTM.
G: "Guard number 22".
E: "but coach she's a 4 and I'm a guard"
G: "So I guess you have some work to do".

My suspicion is that if Fudd comes to UConn Edwards is going to see guard minutes disappear, especially with the '21 guard/wings coming. But she'll still get outside as long as she shows she can be effective. Her body reminds me of Howard at Ken. And she & Griffin could become QB Buecker's favorite deep targets in transition. Both can fly and there aren't many 4's that can keep up with those two.

Such an exciting roster with both promise and questions to be answered. It sucks the world has to go nuts now.

Reaction Score
I really think Tuck deserves more love and respect. I compared Edwards to Tuck because of my respect and admiration for a healthy Tuck game. I believe Tuck gave a lot more to UConn then y'all give her credit for, granny knees and all.
Regarding Tuck, we are talking about a key contributor to multiple national championships. Silly to predict an untested upcoming frosh will have this proven talent. May happen but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Reaction Score
Tuck had the best low post seal I ever saw. Her skill level even as a freshman was advanced way past what is normal for freshmen. Very mature. The adult of the Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck trio according to reports. Edwards has a lot of talent and the right attitude but I would think a bit behind Tuck, if only because Tuck got to play with better players in HS/AAU/USA. I'm hoping that her time with the national team makes a difference.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A lot more! Edwards is taller, stronger, and more athletic than Tuck, if she can continue to develop(I think she will) and polish her game, Edwards will be one of the best EVER to play at UConn, her ceiling is just that high.
Edwards is not stronger than Morgan Tuck and may never be. Nor does Edwards have the position versatility of Tuck. Tuck had the ability to play 3-5 on offense and defend 2-5 as well. During the 2013 championship run Tuck was backup at center for a hobbled Dolson and played with great poise. Morgan returned from injury to earn a spot on the WoH and her versatility was on full display during her final season when she defended Boyette from Texas, Coates of South Carolina, Hamblin of Oregon state and Jones of Maryland to earn that spot on the wall. Edwards has great potential, Tuck realized her full potential.

Reaction Score
Imma call Dangerfield a guard and I’m sticking to it! So there!!! Lol. When I coached, I never used word positions. Always used numbers and that was for our break, secondary break and inbound plays. We ran a lot. I figured if we could take and make more layups and free throws, we could win. We also pressed much. I would turn it into helter skelter. I work most times. Not always

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Edwards is not stronger than Morgan Tuck and may never be. Nor does Edwards have the position versatility of Tuck. Tuck had the ability to play 3-5 on offense and defend 2-5 as well. During the 2013 championship run Tuck was backup at center for a hobbled Dolson and played with great poise. Morgan returned from injury to earn a spot on the WoH and her versatility was on full display during her final season when she defended Boyette from Texas, Coates of South Carolina, Hamblin of Oregon state and Jones of Maryland to earn that spot on the wall. Edwards has great potential, Tuck realized her full potential.
Preach!

Reaction Score
My suspicion is that if Fudd comes to UConn Edwards is going to see guard minutes disappear,

Edwards is nowhere near a guard. Also, Geno doesn't put those positions up. Probably an intern. Edwards will rarely get SF minutes too. There are 4 players that are natural 1-3 that are high quality. Nika will also play some and Mir doesn't have as much size so if she plays with Edwards - Edwards would really be the 4. Geno might toy around with it-- but Edwards will be a 4. UCONN will want to stop the other from getting rebounds at pf and Edwards isn't going ot outplay Paige, CWill, Evina and Anna. She's 5th on the sf chart but 2nd or maybe 1ts on the PF chart and 2nd on the center chart.

Reaction Score
Edwards is nowhere near a guard. Also, Geno doesn't put those positions up. Probably an intern. Edwards will rarely get SF minutes too. There are 4 players that are natural 1-3 that are high quality. Nika will also play some and Mir doesn't have as much size so if she plays with Edwards - Edwards would really be the 4. Geno might toy around with it-- but Edwards will be a 4. UCONN will want to stop the other from getting rebounds at pf and Edwards isn't going ot outplay Paige, CWill, Evina and Anna. She's 5th on the sf chart but 2nd or maybe 1ts on the PF chart and 2nd on the center chart.
I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that whatever position the school has down is more accurate than whatever position you think is best. You say it all so matter of factory like you have it all absolutely figured out lol.

I’m not picking on you but much more goes into determining positions than just height. Gabby literally had stints at the 5 at 5’11 while 6’4 KLS was at the 2. Also positions are becoming much more fluid in the modern game. Versatility is emphasized now allowing coaches to blend skill sets together resulting in a much more interchangeable and dynamic 5 man unit. The black and white days of a prototypical 1-5are really over and the line is much blurrier now imo

Reaction Score

Edwards doesn't have that same ability? Morgan Tuck was a damn good player, but she is NOWHERE near as athletic or explosive as Edwards is. Tuck was very successful because she was extremely polished, she had great footwork, great inside moves, etc., if Edwards can master those same skills she will be a better player than Tuck!

Look at Edwards build, her shoulders, all without a legit NCAA weight program, you think she will never be as strong as Tuck? Nonsense!

Reaction Score

I think Tuck was a great player, Edwards just has the potential to be one of the greatest of all time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Edwards doesn't have that same ability? Morgan Tuck was a damn good player, but she is NOWHERE near as athletic or explosive as Edwards is. Tuck was very successful because she was extremely polished, she had great footwork, great inside moves, etc., if Edwards can master those same skills she will be a better player than Tuck!

Look at Edwards build, her shoulders, all without a legit NCAA weight program, you think she will never be as strong as Tuck? Nonsense!

Not nonsense more like genetics. Here is Morgan's physique at a similar age.

Reaction Score

Have to respectfully question this comparison of physical to proven basketball skills. Most NCAA and WNBA players are great athletes - few are all time greats. Tuck one of UConn's great players - I will be happy if Edwards shows anywhere near Tuck's skill set.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Per this article, Grace Vanslooten, a 6-3 forward from Ohio, has garnered interest from UConn.

Her AAU coach says: “UConn and Notre Dame are talking to her but haven't offered

Wonder if UConn just watched her last weekend here:

Reaction Score

Tuck's longest and strongest suit (contract bridge reference) was mental toughness - a good healthy "refuse to lose" on every defensive stint. Winning on the defensive end translated into an efficient offense as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom